Wednesday 23 December 2015

A pre-Christmas walk


The sun shone yesterday!  We couldn't stay in, and set off to have a walk in Brechfa Forest at Abergorlech.


This info from the display board tells you a little about the Forest.


Sunshine and shadows across the track ahead.


Water . . .


Water . . . .


Everywhere.  It has rained here every day since 3rd November and the land is so saturated.  Here it trickles from the rocks to join the stream in the valley bottom.



Looking down from the bridge across the stream.  A short one mile walk which loops around and returns the other side of the valley along a leafy (and muddy in parts) track.




My lovely daughter Tam.


We drove home along the narrow road which links Abergorlech with Llanfynydd.  There are lovely views from the top, as you can see in these photos.



The pastureland of the hilltops begins to degenerate into poorly-drained land as you descend into the steep scrubby valley below, but that has its own charm and is somewhere I find easy on the eye and it has a protective feeling as the valley sides wrap around the little lane.  Unfortunately there wasn't really anywhere I could stop to capture the atmosphere of it.


Finally, a photo of what must have been the old mill near the village, undergoing restoration.

Have a lovely Christmas all.  If you live in Wales, keep dry!

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful walk - lovely photos. Hope you and your family have a very Happy Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed the walk in the rare sunshine, have a lovely Christmas with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got your walk in hope you all have a lovely Christmas together :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will, thanks Dawn. It was a lovely walk. Suzie - we had sunshine today - then hailstones! R. Robin - glad you enjoyed it.

    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all my friends, blogging and otherwise. I don't know what I'd do without you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas Jennie, can see you in Tam's face, have a lovely holiday. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Marleen. I hope you had an enjoyable day.

    Thelma - Merry Christmas to you too. Yes, Tam's quite like me, and has inherited gardening and crafting tendencies. They all cook well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate walks with a track or a well-defined path. I was considering whether that is an 'elderly' sentiment---but recall that I often followed the 'cowpaths' on Grandpa Mac's farm--although more apt in years past to venture off than now.
    What a lovely photo of Tamzin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sharon - Not bad is it? There is me in her, but also stronger bits that don't come from me. G has those too. Perhaps the me I might have been if my life had been different earlier on or just from K's side of the family - or even, complete throw-backs!

    I like a distinct path these days. I also like people to say, "Let's go this way, I know it's nice along here." Nice to have a decision made for me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete