Saturday 13 February 2016

Too tired for sensible thought

I haven't slept very well this week and this morning could happily go back to bed and zzzzzzzzzzz a bit longer, but we have a Militaria Fair in the offing, so have to go and get the necessary stock from the Unit.


I treated myself to this magazine in the week.  I cannot remember the last time I bought a X-stitch magazine, but I am still enjoying my return to it after Maria's prompting (her blog is Dotty's daughter).  That blackwork Hare is beautiful, and the 3D cottage lovely.  I want to make a Christmas gift for a friend, but am torn between the cover project - wild flowers on black Aida - and this:


I just love the jade green used in this for the outlined work outside the frame.  The colour looks sludgier here but it is a bright jade in real life.  This scene really appealed to me and would make a nice evening project through the spring and summer months.  What's the betting I don't have half the colours needed?  Always the way when you start a new project.


Some of the frogspawn in our main pond.  There's lots more.  I hope the tadpoles survive this year - they all died of some virus in 2015.


A rather blurred photo of snow on the Brecon Beacons yesterday, taken from the car.


The southern flanks of Hay Bluff.  We went to auction in Brecon, and had 3 hours between lots we were interested in so went to Hay-on-Wye for lunch and a chat with an antiques friend of ours.

Have a lovely weekend.

11 comments:

  1. Snow that appears to be settling! We had a bit of snow but it went almost as fast as it came. I love that blackwork hare and am now tempted to buy the magazine myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you catch up on some sleep honey. What a choice you have, decisions , decisions....loving the hare. Pics are lovely of the hills and snow .... Nice if you don't have to travel in it that is. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to cross stitch and have been doing so for over 25 years. For what it's worth, my suggestion would be to not do the one with the black background...they are a nightmare to work on and will take you twice as long to complete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to cross stitch and have been doing so for over 25 years. For what it's worth, my suggestion would be to not do the one with the black background...they are a nightmare to work on and will take you twice as long to complete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Working on a black background is very difficult - at least that's what I found. maybe one of those light box thingys needed. When I started doing lots of cross stitch and found I Never had the right numbers, I treated myself to all the missing colours from a cheap online company - sadly they are no longer in business - probably they were selling a bit too cheaply!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm trying not to buy magazines apart from my sewing one which I get on subscription. I've managed not to so far this year but am really tempted by the designs in this magazine x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jo - sorry I am tempting you!

    Sue - I tried doing a tabby cat on a branch once, for my middle daughter, and I agree, it isn't easy and it got abandoned. I need 5 new colours to do this one, so not too bad.

    Elizabeth. I agree with you and Sue - if it did do it, I would choose a much lighter colour Aida.

    Maria - I shouldn't really start ANYTHING new until all the old projects are completed, but this is a gift, and I don't want to have to rush it if I start next Autumn.

    Pat - oh gosh. Just when we were all thinking spring thoughts, the weather changes and we return to winter. Hope it's not too heavy a fall of snow with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cottage looks very intriguing- are you going to have a go at making it? Hope you made a fortune at the fair xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rachel - one year, perhaps! I am always seeing things and thinking I would love to make that, but now I have my little business, much of my spare time has disappeared!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fancy your frogs being busy already - that IS early!

    I hope you enjoy which ever cross stitch you decide to do. I do like the sheep, lambs and silver birches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. DW - They've been "at it" in January before now! They get a bit frozzed when we have a frost (or even snow) but that just seems to slow things down a bit.

    I've made a list of the half a dozen embroidery silks I need, and will have to write down what size and count Aida to get.

    ReplyDelete