Tuesday 23 May 2017

People . . .

On Sunday when we were at the Militaria Fair, on my way back from my walk I spotted that the Tenovus Charity Shop was open (one of the few which were open in Brecon on a Sunday, though surprisingly Greggs was).  I popped inside and scanned the books and my eye fell on "Our Hidden Lives" - the remarkable diaries of post-war Britain.  Based on a continuation of the Mass-Observation programme of the wartime years, these diaries recorded what life was like in a Britain where rationing became even more stringent and the British had to do without in order to feed Europe, where people were starving - and that included the Germans, which rubbed against the grain of its victors.  They felt they had suffered quite enough going without in the war years, but it seemed that the shops stocked nothing.  Not even a pencil could be had, let alone tissue paper, and the fat rations all but disappeared entirely.  Life in the countryside would have been easier, but there is no real record of that as these diaries were kept by town-dwellers in London, Sheffield, and Scotland.  I am finding it hard to put down and am only leaving it in my office whilst I go for a bath, as I fear I might drop it in the bath water should I relax in there with it! 

I will let you have a little taster, and then if you are smitten, you can go find a copy for a penny at Amazon or slightly more on Fleabay.

B Charles, a (gay) antique dealer from Scotland with an ascerbic tongue, especially where women are concerned!

"When I went for the milk today, I asked if it were possible to have an extra half pint, as I wanted to make a blancmange.  The man said he couldn't let me have it, as these days it is so impossible to let anyone have any more than they are entitled to.  He went on to say that the Government hope "next winter" to let everyone have two pints a week.  If anyone is still labouring under the delusion that rationing in Britain is going to finish soon, they will be rudely awakened from their fantasy.  What a curse this last war is proving."  18th December 1945.

Edie Rutherford, housewife and clerk in Sheffield:

"A remark of the woman in next cubbyhole at hairdressers yesterday.  I told him, I'd like to see him have the spending of it."  I wonder if there is any marriage where the same situation is always arising.  I have often offered my husband the Wifely job, but he shies away instantly.  He may be mystified with what I do with his allowance to me, but apparently he would rather go on being mystified than take over the job.  Dear knows, there are times, often, when I'd be glad to have no money to handle.  Like royalty."


Ooops - I didn't mean to publish this until tomorrow.

In the meantime, under the heading of "people" come the wonderful people of Manchester who rallied round in a time of great need and desperation last night.  I just cannot understand why anyone (I am assuming Daesh have claimed this "victory") should feel such hatred to someone of a different religion, and that we should be erased from the earth's surface just because we exist and don't share their faith.  From babies upwards we are deemed fair game and my heart goes out to the friends and families of those who were murdered.  I truly hope there is such a thing as hell and that such murderers have a particularly unpleasant corner reserved in it.





No comments:

Post a Comment