Saturday 22 July 2017

I'm over it . . .




. . . the disappointment, that is.  The first week I was very positive and upbeat, but when a response to the viewing had to be prised out of the viewers after 4 days (they didn't answer their phone or emails), then you know they are not mad-keen, but I held the faith. 

Now, it's onwards and upwards.  This morning I shall chivvy Keith into putting up the new lights, and we will cut back the overgrowth by the side of the poultry house and blow the dust off the roofing sheets.

I have had the cherries drying over night - when I was in the bathroom around 2 a.m. they smelt WONDERFUL.  Now they are sticky, but will probably take the full 24 hours than the 20 - 24 it said.  They were a bit labour intensive, as first of all I had to put them in a water and vinegar bath to remove any horrid spray residue.  Then scramble them around in same bath, and then rinse them off.  Then I had to put them, 1lb at a time, in a litre of boiling water for 30 - 45 seconds (I chose the latter).  Then drain them and put them straight into a litre of water with ascorbic/citric acid in for 10 minutes.  I only had 1000mg tablets of Vitamin C so used one of these.  Then they had to be drained and pitted and then laid out on the trays in the dehydrator.  Apparently they have a really intense flavour and are worth all the faff.  I shall let you know in due course.

My Artisan (hah!) Beer Bread was really tasty.  The only "Dutch Oven" I have is my Le Creuset oval casserole, which is too large for the amount of dough I am making, so I am following a few 2nd hand Le Creuset and Le Creuset style round casseroles on Fleabay.  Fingers crossed I get one at a sensible price.

I started my usual Panny breadmaker loaf this morning, half white and half Oat flour.  This is SO tasty and is our favourite bread.

Right, that's it.  I need to put some slap on and get away for the weekend paper.  Gabby, our middle daughter, is coming to visit us this morning, so we have that to look forward to.

18 comments:

  1. Yep, white trousers are a good indication of people who haven't got the foggiest clue about smallholding life.
    Our neighbours trying to sell their house are having the exact same problem " how far to the pub?" ......"3 miles!" What!
    Hope the cherries are worth the effort.
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the fact the garden was one you actually physically had to GARDEN in may have put her off. They were all learning to ride, so she obviously fancied having a horse or two about the place - hmmm, that would be quite a challenge to someone in white trousers methinks!!

      Those cherries - oh my goodness, they are still drying but have got to the sticky sweets stage and are GORGEOUS! You could bribe kids with these, they are so nice, and such flavour.

      Delete
  2. With all those complaints, why in the world did they come out in the first place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda. This was her mother, who said she wouldn't interfere in any way . . . I wonder? I think they had a reality check!

      Delete
  3. Really sorry to hear about the viewing-people should learn to be polite. Why come to view a house that's obviously not suitable for them. Never mind, I hope the perfect people will come along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, "Mum" was being polite, apart from when she pointed out that the paddock end wall was two differing colour yellows (the limewash is coloured each bucketful and when it is wet looks to match!) I'm sure she thought it was a huge area of damp or something. I think she thought we lived in the back of beyond!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I'm so sorry BB. That's such a complete pain. Why oh why do people view a smallholding and then moan about it being in the country? Where do they think it would be??? We drove all around the area we finally bought our house in and knew exactly what we wanted. People really are odd. Big hugs.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They apparently had a long list of properties and probably bought one with a school at the end of the road, just as they had at their old house . . .

      Delete
  5. BB I really thought that your house was lovely and would love to see it bought by a young family who would get such a lot from the whole idea. Presumably you want to downsize and cut down on the work load.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horses for courses Pat. I thought we were in with a chance as they requested room plans, asked all sorts of questions about the property for two months or so beforehand, and then . . . well, obviously found somewhere better.

      We do need somewhere smaller, less rooms to clean (!) and cheaper to run, and nearer to the English border as it takes so long to get there from here.

      Delete
  6. BB their loss. people often have a romanticised view of the countryside. White trousers not very practical- I would rather be in the countryside than in town but you have to cut your cloth according to your kelt and with me not being able to drive, but you have to dream and your home is certainly lovely and charming even OH said so as well = I showed him and he liked too. take care sweetheart your house is very fussy as it has had such good owners. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our house seems to attract the wrong people. The ones who really DO want a country life, tend to go for the smaller farms with 40 or 50 acres, which they can buy for the same money . . .

      You're not kidding our house is fussy!

      Delete
  7. I think the right buyers will show up. Those people (or at least the mom in white trousers) sound foolish indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terra. I think I can say with some truth, these folk were not gardeners for starters!

      Delete
  8. So sorry about the viewing. You have a lovely home.
    The cherries sound so good.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks parsnip. We re very lucky to live here.

      Delete
  9. Reading about your viewers reminds me that many times I could feel absolutely no 'connect' with prospective buyers--and sometimes couldn't warm up to those who eventually became buyers/ owners of the property in question. I felt as though I was 'on view' along with the house, needing to be polite [of course] but not wanting the involvement. I'm realizing how awkward that sounds--but there it is!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear about the misfits - people can irritate me sometimes and they fit this bill perfectly!

    ReplyDelete