Thursday 7 September 2017

Speed painting and Feeling Old





We had our son Danny here for the night on Tuesday.  I fed him, and then he and Keith set to and moved out the oak Arts and Crafts sideboard in the sitting room, and then we all set to and somehow managed to get down the very heavy Victorian mirror which sits over it (imagine 6 feet long by 3 1/2 ft high, with a carved oak frame and a King's head in the centre - sadly it lost its original tendrils of wooden foliage before we bought it at auction many years ago for just £28.  A corner of the mirror had broken off but we had hoped that this was down the back of the mirror and could be glued back in place and a swag of something artfully draped over the break.  Unfortunately, it wasn't and we had to shell out £90 for a replacement mirror.  Anyway, with me on the screwdriver - not an easy job as some of the weight of it (it probably weighs a hundredweight) was on the screws which made trying to remove them a difficult task.  When all this was done, and the wall clear, then I had to set to with my paintbrush and paint the first coat on, then shoot upstairs for a bath whilst it was drying, then back down again and paint the skirting board white, and then a 2nd coat of Copper Blush on the wall.  If you have ever done speed painting, then you will know how tiring it is. I was so shattered that I was falling asleep watching the film Danny had chosen, and couldn't read a word before my head hit the pillow and I was sound asleep.



Then yesterday morning it had to all be reinstated, the drawers and cupboard contents put back in - though I had a cull of Granny C's glassware and washed it all and have put much of it in storage in the attic cupboards.  Ready for when we "move".  Yeah, like that is going to happen any time soon . . .

But if I thought the heavy lifting was over, when I came back from dropping Danny back at home in town, we realized there was another heavy lifting job - the 3 metre length of B&Q worktop which needed to be manhandled onto Keith's Workmate for cutting to length (and shape) and then taken up to the house.  Well, that was a blardy struggle, I can tell you!  I've just looked up the weight and they are 52 Kg - basically, a hundredweight.  It felt like that too!  A 2 man lift is a lot easier for two men than it is for an ageing bloke and his feeble wife!!  Anyway, we managed, and though it took three attempts to get it cut exactly to fit (a little bit had to go into the corner abutting the draining board) we eventually did it, after traipsing backwards and forwards with it 3 times . . .  It looks lovely - faux marble but it really looks like the real thing and is a great improvement on the worktop that was there before. 


The Panny has a loaf in it as we were down to the last couple of slices of bread.  Loading it up was my first job this morning - before I even had a cup of tea.  The stoneware Dundee marmalade pots for the utensils are one of my little foibles, a nod to Tess of the D'Urbervilles who used one just like the oldest one on the left, as a vase with some flowers in on the grave of her dead son, Sorrow . . .

Right, this won't do.  After going to a patchwork class yesterday afternoon, this morning I am off to my friend Dawn's to have my first proper lesson in lace making.  Yippee!!

14 comments:

  1. I just love your farmhouse BB and the beautiful way you have furnished it. Love the marmalade pots, and now you have reminded me of Tess, I will now have to have a session with Hardy's poetry which I adore. I even wrote a (bad) poem sitting at his desk at Max Gate a couple of weeks ago! I have recently discovered that the next village along as a lace maker's group which I'm thinking about visiting - I have my grandma's bobbins! But honestly I would rather walk along the river in your first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah - sounds like I have ticked all your boxes with this post! Alas, we are too, too far away to visit Max Gate (it was closed the last time we were in Dorset). I'll get there one day. I hoe you join your local lace-making group. I was surprised that I could do it (v. v. simple design though, for encouragement!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often needed to help move heavy things at the smallholding, he was always amazed if I struggled and said it was just too heavy, I think he thought I was a 5 Foot 5 inch weightlifter! Hopefully not so much shifting here.

    Love that you have time for starting another hobby!!??

    I've never found a marmalade pot with writing on which sort of defeats the object, although even plain they are nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having to admit defeat sometimes now. I'm even shorter than you and just not as strong as I used to be (not that I was particularly strong then!) I think we shall go for the smaller things to be kept when we move . . .

      Ah - TIME for another hobby? Well, I have another hobby, and I need to shoehorn it in somehow, but now the darker evenings are here I stand a chance.

      Delete
  4. Mentally groaning in sympathy here--you've evoked our several mad scrambles to finish painting with new owners practically on the doorstep. I do think 'Copper Blush' is proving itself as a mellow and inviting color.
    Back in the days of building houses we ordered a vast mirrored wall cabinet for a master bath--for some reason it didn't fit and J. stored it in the barn [minus packing box] expecting to use it in another place. I was clambering about in there one day and unwittingly pushed something against it--dreadful cracking and shattering of mirror. I'm now wondering where the cabinet ended up as it didn't make the epic cross-country move with us--it could have been refitted with a mirror!
    Building/renovating, redecorating is not for the faint-hearted, nor, as I can testify, does it improve an aging back!
    You've more than earned a sit-down with book or stitchery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am hoping I have to lift nothing heavier than one of my boxes of stuff for the Fleamarket this weekend. I certainly pass on sharing a worktop in future!! I am with you on breaking large "useful" mirror except this was one that Keith had FINALLY gotten around to putting a frame on, and then I trod on it (in my defence it had paper over it so was in disguise . . .) 7 years bad luck !

      I think I want a new house next time (but with interesting features) . . . I sat down with lace making today, and very pleasant it was too.

      Delete
  5. Ah, it was a job, for sure, but oh it was so worth the effort!!! And, I must say I really did enjoy your telling of the tale ~ "blardy struggle...ageing bloke and his feeble wife." :~) Hopefully the consequences of the hard word won't keep you from enjoying your class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I made you smile, Chip! We don't like to give in, but goodness, that worktop came close to making me a foot shorter!

      Delete
  6. Watch your back with all that lifting. It would certainly finish mine off for a week or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My back is surprisingly OK Pat, but I am off to the Chiro on Monday ref. my hip/calf muscles/foot - done, I suspect, when I was stamping on some heavy duty tins to flatten them for the recycyling bin. Some fought back! My little toes have been curling under and I have had dreadful pains in my right calf muscles, day and night, eased a little now, but it needs sorting.

      Delete
  7. Hi BB love the sideboard and mirror lovely. Kitchen worktop looks good too blends nicely with the mosaic tiles. Much tidier. I have some various stoneware pots and some stilton pots that my mum and dad collected. Looking good. How lovely to learn lacemaking. I have a kit in a box somewhere still (a polystyrene cushion). I keep threatening. So Glad Dawn is taking you in hand. By the way I have bought an embroidery machine from another Internet friend who I met through the forum and then met in person. She read that I was after one and then offered me her 18 month old machine which was a really good offer to the machine I was looking at and a few models above it. I have to arrange for a courier yet and then how to use it; that has sort of cleared me out but it has been something that I have been after for a little while. Its always the way when you have a list of jobs needs doing i.e. forgetting one important one. Mind you it could have been another excuse to give Danny dinner and spend some time with him. Sorry your foot is playing up. Just take it steadyxxx

    Pattypan

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had both pieces many years now, but have to be realistic about whether they move with us, much as we love them. It depends how much downsizing we do when we move, but practically something lighter would be a good idea!

      I hope you will find a lace making group and get some lessons under your belt. I've been putting it off for years and am now kicking myself.

      Well done on the serendipitous finding of the embroidery machine from the Internet friend. I bet you can't wait for that to arrive.

      Danny's off on holiday for a fortnight today so any more jobs with his name on will have to wait until his return!

      Delete
  8. That river looks lovely, wonder about the trout in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There used to be REALLY big sea trout Simon (Sewin we call them round here). Then the fishing centre a couple of miles downstream managed to keep all the biggest fish in their vicinity (gravel spit I think) and the fishing's not half so good upriver any more.

      Delete