Thursday 14 December 2017

Blue Tit Morse Code and Twister Table Topper


Above and below - in the last patchwork class for this year, I finally got my Twister table topper pieced.  I have to make the chequered border now, and the binding, before assembling it, and I would like to hand quilt.  This will be easy on the lap.  This turned out better than I expected as I didn't have a clue from using the set of instructions which came with it!  I don't think it will be finished until January now, but will make a nice summertime table topper for putting a cake on when we have friends round.



Apple Drop Cookies


American Ginger Slices

Recipes to follow.  I made these yesterday morning so I could take some along to my patchwork class, and also some to hand round when we go and say hello to our friends at Hay-on-Wye sometime in the next couple of days.

Oh, and the Blue Tit Morse Code?  When I was in the bathroom yesterday I could hear a tap-tap-tapping and was looking round for where it might be coming from and noticed a little Blue Tit, checking for insects around the edge of the window (outside of course).  He didn't seem at all bothered to see me on the other side of the glass.

The birds have been coming in ever-increasing numbers during this cold weather, and the Siskins have joined the party now.  On the fields hereabout are good numbers of Redwings, and I daresay Fieldfares too, although I haven't noticed them yet.

Keep warm.

16 comments:

  1. Blue Tit Morse code reminded me that when we first moved into the smallholding the lady before us had a mirror fixed up outside the window so she could see who came through the gate. We had a very persistent blue tit who sat on that mirror and tapped away at his reflection several times a week. Haven't seen Redwings or Fieldfares here yet maybe we won't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There used to be a Peacock in the grounds of nearby Gelli Aur,and he would attack the bird he saw reflected in the glass teashop doors, so they had to paint them white.

      Delete
  2. The great tits do that here, only they tap the actual glass! Great quilt, looks so complex, well done indeed. And all the food looks delicious. I often hear fieldfare before I see them x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That pattern is complex, but having done it once, I know how it works now. I froze the Apple Drop cookies as we're not meeting up with our trading friends this side of Christmas now.

      Delete
  3. I love that some people know which birds are what. I cannot name much aside from the ever present seagulls. Maybe when I retire I will buy a pair of binoculars and expand my bird knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's an old saying, "There's no time like the present". I have been interested in wildlife (birds and botany especially) since I was about 5 or 6 years old. Treat yourself to the binos and a good bird book and get started is my advice.

      Delete
  4. The blue tits used to steal the putty in the window frames before we had double glazing...something to do with the oil in it or something I seem to remember?!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we had that here. I suppose they found something tasty in it. I remember them pecking through the silver foil on the milk bottles on the doorstep too.

      Delete
  5. Love the quilt colours, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris - they are very peaceful colours, and when it's done I will save it for a sunny summer day when we have friends round for tea and cake.

      Delete
  6. I can't eat quilts but I would devour those cookies and slices in a second!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have them and to spare at the minute Simon! A shame you don't live down the road . . .

      Delete
  7. Beautiful quilt.
    The cookies look wonderful I will have to look up the recipe for American Ginger slices.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll put the recipe up later on today parsnip. They are yummy. Anything with ginger in goes down well in this house.

      Delete
  8. The blue tits do that around my windows too where I know ladybirds (the harlequin sort) are hibernating. I cannot work out your quilt but it looks so effective and I love your "apple blossom tree" colourway. I made a tray of mincemeat crumble slices yesterday from a recipe on Pam in Tydd's blog which I discovered through you - very crumbly but very delicious, the cake not the blog! The fieldfares and Mistletoe thrushes have devoured nearly all the pinky-white Sorbus berries over the last week or two, this event is one of my winter highlights. Unfortunately (or not!) their presence attracted a sparrowhawk into the garden who was using the pergola as a plucking post. I so enjoyed ALL your wintry photos BB.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sarah. We have the harlequin ladybirds in the attic window over winter.

    The quilt is sewn together in squares, and then you take a Perspex square which is divided up by marker pen into 4 "off" lines - twisting the square - mark up, cut out and sew back together. I thought "how on earth is that done?", when I first saw it too.

    I thought Pam's mnincemeat crumble slices sounded good, glad to hear from you that they really ARE nice.

    Nice to have the Fieldfares and Mistle Thrushes in the garden. I saw a Mistle Thrush on the verge today, having a tussle with a BIG worm. (Thrush 1, worm nil).

    ReplyDelete