Wednesday 21 February 2018

Llansteffan walk part II


I'm afraid this will be a rather sketchy post as I have been awake half the night and out all day (doing the driving too), so I am feeling a bit whacked now.  Anyway, this is the turn-around area - Wharley Point.


The entire beach looked like this - lots of little Cockle shells (empty ones) littered all over the beach.  This area is vast at low tide and is and has been for a long time, the place where people come to pick cockles to sell in the town (and further afield too these days).


The top tower of Llansteffan Castle is just in sight.  I chose, rather than walk back along the beach again, to walk along the little bit of coast path.  The photo below shows what it looks like - not too muddy, I was glad to see.



Leaves of Lords & Ladies (Wild Arum Lily) which have been showing their faces for the last few weeks in sheltered spots.


Above: the photo which I had as the Header until ten minutes ago when I chose another view.  I always feel a pang when I remove one of my Header photos as they are always my favourite photo until I take one as good (or better).



Above the footpath everything is very overgrown, but an absolute haven for wildlife of course.

The new header photo, only smaller!


Looking out to sea - well, looking out to wet mud really!  These are the Cockle Beds (when the season's right).  The sea is really out a loooooooooooong way.


Finally some information board photos for you.  I hope you can read them OK.



I'll be back after a - hopefully better - night's sleep.

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, I must say the dark tree against the sky are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hart. Mine too. It's another lovely sunny (but frosty!) day today and the camera and I are going to be out in it!

      Delete
  2. I've been enjoying your posts and photos but don't think I've left a comment so just want to take this time to say so! Thank you for sharing your beautiful part of the world with the rest of us. Of the photos in this post I especially like the one you chose for your new header. It beckons us around the corner to unknown but sure to be lovely views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sara and welcome. I am glad that my photos bring you pleasure. I am so fortunate to live somewhere so beautiful. The new header is the sort of photo I like to take - leading you on. That's Ferryside on the far shore, btw.

      Delete
  3. I had to look up cockles. I saw some beautiful shells and love the deep blue ones.
    Hope you sleep better tonight.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cockles are probably the commonest shells on British beaches parsnip. Then the deep blue ones, which are Mussels. Both are edible and there's an old folk song "Molly Mallone" (and she sells both!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sleep well. I have nights like that sometimes and they leave you feeling ragged don't they? Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I slept well last night but still work up feeling like I had been put through a mangle. I MADE myself have a goodly walk, but cheated and got Keith to run me up the steep hill, and just walked the couple of miles back down it, which suited my legs far better as they did struggle climbing our hill back to home. Glad you like the photos anyway Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful photos BB! Especially the almost monochrome ones across the wintery sea. I would have loved that walk.

    ReplyDelete