Friday 2 March 2018

A Rotten Swizz!


Good afternoon all.  I am writing this having a sofa day, with the central heating on, the log burner lit and a cup of hot Earl Grey.  For followers from the UK I don't need to say how ghastly the weather is.  I have one daughter snowed in at Cardiff (Centre of the Red Alert area yesterday) - she had to stay over with a friend last night and from the sound of things this morning, will probably be there again tonight and maybe Saturday too if we get the freezing rain they are threatening (which will turn the roads to solid ice).  T'Other daughter is working from home up in Yorkshire, as they have had a lot of snow too.  Our "Lucky" son can walk to and from work so just gets cold.

The forecast has been dire - the Beast from the East was going to meet Storm Emma, bringing blizzards our way.  Most of the country was under a yellow or amber alert (with red highlights in areas, poor souls).  We did a small, non-panic shop on Monday and got anything we might get low on.  Cat food, milk, fresh fruit and veg, and more birdseed.  We only went as far as the bird feeders (to top them up) yesterday and bring wood in, and sat tight in the sitting room listening to the wind trying to break the windows.  We went to bed fully expecting to wake up to 10 foot of snow.  (I don't really MEAN 10 feet of snow - it is a family expression, but we were expecting 8" or so).  When I woke at 4 a.m. for the loo, I twitched the bedroom curtains, but there was just the lightest frosting of snow across the paddock.  The wind, however, screamed around the house all night long, and we kept being woken by it - and the rather worrying noise of metal sheeting being yanked by the storm.  We were both hoping it wasn't the Back Place roof . . .

When we came down this morning our roof was still there - but Next Door's straw barn was missing 10 panels of wriggly tin - which had been whisked away to the bottom of the hill and which had been deposited down by the river.  They were just returning home in the bucket of the JCB when Keith looked out of the window. 

Anyway, I am rather peeved to have all the coldness and unpleasantness (and that bully beast of a gale-force wind) without the prettiness of a good fall of snow.  It's a rotten swizz!!!  The ponds are frozen solid and the poor wild birds are desperate so we are out topping up feeders several times a day.  As there is meant to be freezing rain on the way (which would turn our steep hill into the Cresta Run and render it impassable) we thought we would venture into town today and do the shopping for the week.  We went and bought some cheap apples at Abergwili too (just for the Blackbirds - there were 16 out there this morning, desperate for food).  Then on to Charlies where we bought another sack of seed - but just a cheap one for the ground feeding birds, which include the Blackbirds. 

As I write this the strong gusts of wind are tearing into the flowering bush just outside the window and breaking off leaves and twigs, making it thrash as it if is in torment.  It was putting out flowers - I think they have thought better of it now!

So, no snow pictures (and my external hard drive is upstairs so I will have to add snow pictures later).  I hope all my UK followers are safe and warm and haven't been trapped in the blocked roads about the country (M62 near Rochdale and A31 in the New Forest ) today.  We hardly ever used to get snow when I lived in Hampshire and it is unheard of for the Army being called out to rescue people.  Even a train has broken down near Christchurch and the occupants spent a most unpleasant night trapped on it with no heating or lighting.  I think we have escaped lightly here.


12 comments:

  1. Hopefully here in Yorkshire things look to be easihg up. Hopei haven't spoken too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers crossed for you Pat. We have been very fortunate to be on the edge - Cardiff and the Valleys have it bad. Gabby will be spending another night with her workmate so I hope she bought several pairs of clean knickers when she went shopping last night!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More snow here this evening, still cut off we think - haven't been out to find out. Freezing cold wind. All we have done is get wood in and feed birds. Most of the snow has gone off the fields to add to the drifts on the road

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds pretty bad then Sue. I hope you can get out after the weekend when things are meant to warm up aa bit again. We were fed up enough today to go into town and hit Tesco's!

      Delete
  4. Hi BB

    Knickers are always important!

    We have not had snow here today but it started about 4:00pm again and has been pretty continuous. It is coming down hard as we speak. The firms locally have been good in allowing staff who live out of town to be able to go to get transport so that they can get home safely. It has been bitterly cold here today despite being wrapped up to the nines. Our office has a green air conditioning system and it has kept going off today as the units are housed outside and have been freezing up and then starting again. We are right on the side of the train line where I work and the trains have been struggling more than a little. Be careful for what you wish for with the snow it is beautiful to look at but terrible to travel in. Hope the road doesn't turn into the Cresta run. I now have visions of you going downhill on a tea tray in order to escape! Hope the girls and Danny are safe. Take care and keep snug. Glad you are feeding the birds. Are the cats still coming to you to eat or are they all inhouse now? Take care. Tricia xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that you have had so much snow (and yet more of it). We've not had weather like this for a while and we all thought (I am sure) that the winter was over and we were looking forward to spring. I'd even finally planted a couple of bags of bulbs I'd overlooked so they will have had a heck of a shock, having lived in the hall all winter.

      Any vision of me going down our icy hill on a teatray needs a big splash at the bottom as we have a river there!!

      The girls are OK - Tam snowed in at home and Gabby snowed in at work and having to stay with a friend for the moment - and Danny is just getting frozen walking to and from work.

      We are snug and warm (especially in bed as we have put the flannel duvet cover on and it is SO cosy) and I hope you are too.

      Of the 5 cats, only mum Miffy (who was the most feral) won't stay in the house though she will venture up the hall or into the kitchen, but she has the straw barn to sleep in (though I still worry). The two stray toms seemed to have moved on elsewhere for food.

      Delete
  5. Give it a week or two and then we can get on with looking for signs of spring, or am I fooling myself? Meanwhile, recharge your teacup and stay warm and safe on the sofa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the thaw will start properly on Monday - although my poor bulbs which had come through are terribly dessicated. I hope the frogspawn will survive - it has in previous years, but not this amount of cold and for so long.

      Teacup recharged and sofa being shared with two stripey boys . . .

      Delete
  6. I feel so sorry for the birds. How do they survive the temps and keep warm ? Do groups cuddle together ?
    When we have our super hot summers I make sure they have lots of extra water besides the ponds and water fountain.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know that the Long Tailed Tits cuddle up on a branch (have seen it on tv this past week in fact), and wrens go behind bargeboards on buildings and similar places and cuddle together for warmth. I once counted 86 wrens going in through a small hole above our bedroom window, where they gathered on the top of our window recess. We could hear them shuffling about in the night. I've put water out for Miffy cat, who lives outside, and will look for a container to do similar for the birds as the ponds are frozen solid, needless to say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always chuck our apple cores into the woodland opposite. The birds are looking so fluffy keeping themselves warm. I walked along footpaths to the garden centre for fat balls and sunflower seeds on Wednesday and have never seen so many birds in my garden. I’ve been keeping our heating on all day at 15 degrees (my son has been working from home since Thursday) but I’ve been interspersing sitting at my desk with dancing, yoga, ironing and hoovering and have been getting out for a short walk every day. When I draw our three pairs of interlined curtains (26 years old and worth every penny of the small fortune they cost to make) at about half past five I light the fire. I’m wearing indoors a silk vest, long-sleeved thermal vest, silk shirt, Donegal tweed tunic dress over tights and leggings, a long alpaca cardigan and a hand-knitted woolly shawl. Also thick socks and slippers and occasionally fingerless gloves too! I am so appropriately dressed I’m thinking I may be Norwegian. We’re going to walk into the next village along footpaths a mile and half away to get provisions as I haven’t been shopping since last Friday and have been running down our food stores prior to moving - could be exchanging next week but I’m not counting my chickens. A colleague was involved in a bad pile up going home yesterday and didn’t get home until the early hours so I’m keeping away from the roads. My husband has cycled to work all week and although freezing when he gets home (he’s 65 and with the physique of a marathon runner) at least he’s all in one piece. So pleased I managed to drive my daughter back to Canterbury on Monday. It was horrid coming home on the motorways and overtaking four salt spraying lorries but at least I know her Victorian terrace is warm and she now has two extra blankets on her bed. Keep warm and safe BB.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sarah - you sound a proper Johnny Appleseed chucking your applecores into the woodland opposite. I dare say I have planted some very linear orchards in my time, chucking applecores out of car windows!

    The birds are truly desperate aren't they? I've seen so many along the hedgerows and copses as we travel about. I just wish they would eat more of the cheap birdseed I got but it's mostly wheat and they really aren't impressed by wheat!

    You sound warmly dressed - I've had three layers on and then my really thick cable 100% wool jumper on top and then a patchwork quilt over my legs. I must invest in some silk tops. We have had the heating on much of the day for the past couple of days, and the woodburner lit too, and have only been cold when I've been out to feed the birds. Perished then!

    I hope that your walk for provisions was enjoyable rather than freezing. Better than driving back from Canterbury, that's for sure. One of the branches of my husband's family tree ties to Canterbury and Herne Bay. Glad your daughter is home and safe now too. I'll be glad when my middle one phones to say she has reached home safely.

    ReplyDelete