Friday 11 May 2018

Last Saturday at Builth Antiques Fair & Fleamarket


Last Saturday it was the big antiques fair and fleamarket at Builth Wells.  We were a little late getting there as we stopped off at the Vintage Fair in Llandeilo first, for a wander round.  Builth was busy and VERY hot.  Our eldest daughter Tam was with us and we had a lovely SLOW wander round all the stores, the posh ones as well as the ones in the back sheds and outside.  No bargains to be had as the wheeler-dealer trading happens on a Friday.

At one stall was this contraption, which I guessed was a flatten-a-mouse trap, but turned out to be for rats instead, which would also have been flattened!  I think it was probably for Continental rats.


Poor stag - I bet he didn't want to end up in a laundry tub . . .


An absolutely fabulous old oak gateleg table on sale with a friend of ours.  You can just about see the curve in the central plank which gives it such character.


On the same stand, some more lovely rustic pieces.  The spinning wheel is very unusual because of the candle sconce on the top.


Someone had taken a great deal of effort to make this old bath attractive, but sadly the paint was starting to peel on the bottom of the bath inside.


I loved the paintings above and below, but they were priced as about £895 each, so they stayed there!  The light in them was just amazing.  I see "modern art" sometimes in galleries and have a ??? really ??? moment.  I like to see something skilfully depicted and which draws me in.  These fit that bill.




They were filming Bargain Hunt whilst we were there.  Here they are at fellow-dealer Jason's stand.


The lovely Eric Knowles doing his piece for camera.


One of the few quilts on offer.  I took a photo as I quite liked the offset stars and wanted to see how they were done when I got home.

We had a very early tea at Builth - we each had a big pulled pork roll, so we didn't have to bother with cooking a meal when we got in.  

Have a lovely weekend.


8 comments:

  1. Love the spinning wheel, it is very unique. Those paintings draw me into them as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The spinning wheel has a slightly eye-watering price! Like the paintings really, they were definitely not in my remit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeew, to the rat squasher!!! I did love those paintings though, I totally get what you're saying about modern art!
    I've left a longer reply on my blog about the soap making. I'm going to do some more with different recipes too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Off to your blog shortly - thanks. I bought some lovely home spun and dyed wool today to crochet myself a winter cap with. Photos will follow on here.

      Delete
  4. It was pretty that little thspinning wheel but I guess pricey and not terribly practical. Paintings are not as pricey as the modern ones in the gallery here which go for thousands and mostly 'abstract', art is a funny old thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess art is what you make it - if people have been "trained" to appreciate modern art, then it will work for them. It's not for me though. Shades of the Emperor's New Clothes!!

      Delete
  5. That first painting is especially lovely...

    Interesting plaid suit, on that lady in one of the pictures... Certainly have to be slim, to wear one of those! I can just imagine, how _I_ would look, in one!!!!!! -gigggles-

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lady in the plaid suit is "off the telly"! It is not one for ladies of MY shape either!!

    ReplyDelete