Pages

Pages

Jennie's recipes

Monday, 24 August 2026

A lucky haul from Tesco's recycled shelves and Fire Updates

 


I thought I would do the week's shop today as I needed fuel for the next Malvern Flea, and Tescopolis had an offer on the cat biscuits the cats like (Iams).  I checked out the charity bookshelves before starting my shop, and struck lucky.  All of these appear to be brand new so I wonder if they are remaindered stock from the Tesco shelves.  The two Lord John ones are particularly welcome anyway, the Elizabeth I biography looks good, Michael Jecks' books are good and the Witchfinders one could be good too.

My stye has finally calmed down, after a week, and I tried the new mascara today.  What a waste of money - managed to effectively hide my eyelashes rather than enhance them, clumped them into wafer thin bits and was very difficult to remove . . .  Back to Max Factor 2000 then . . .

Finally - pudding today - a meal early as I had a skimpy lunch of home grown Red Zebra tomatoes (I will grow these again, they're lovely) and a chunk of one of Ed's cucumbers, and the last two slices of Pastrami . . .


It's quite windy today, but I shall let my lunch go down and go for a short walk and perhaps find time to carry on with the gravel weeding.

Update, minutes later.  Another fire - Glascwm, over towards Hundredhouse, which may have started up afresh and with this wind will really spread.  Fire Brigade in attendance.  Update 3 p.m. - I can see smoke billowing up from Glascwm - it's 7 miles away as the crow flies, and there are multiple fires by the look of things on FireMap.

10 comments:


  1. My caravan in near Hundred House at Fforest Fields but at least they cleared most of the old fir trees now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be more than a tad smoky there today Billy. https://firemap.live/

      Delete
  2. Great book choices, haven't read any Michael Jecks for yonks. I've got a couple of Candace Robb in the TBR pile. Sheva will only eat Go Cat Herring biscuits , Morrisons seems to have run out and the only place in town I can find them is Poundland, 2 small boxes for £3. None in Costco either as dil invited me to go with her, but I did get 2 huge bottles of Worcester Sauce, some Fairy capsules and we share a large pack of kitchen roll. Still waiting for our replacement window. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struck lucky. At Ynyswen, the GO Cat were the biscuits all our cats ate. I changed to better ones here - now they won't touch the Go Cat! Tesco's have them in stock. You could try your local Farmers' store. Our Hay & Brecon Farmers has plenty in stock.

      I was stocking up a little bit again for my storecupboard today - more rice, pasta, tins of beans on offer, passata etc.

      HOpe your window arrives soon.

      Delete
  3. Gosh, I really feel for the firefighters this year, and I'm glad my cousins husband has finally retired after many many years in the service. She must be so relieved that she doesn't have those endless days and nights of worry about him. That dessert looks VERY tasty. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They must be absolutely on their knees, working pretty well round the clock. That's why the Army had to be called in to the fires above the Valleys. (Ghurkas from nearby Brecon Barracks). I may do some baking tomorrow for our local ones and drop it down at the Station.

      Delete
  4. We have so many wildfires each year we have a separate fire service for them. It's been terrible this year as it has been for several years. In the early 1900s my friend's grandmother had to stand in the sea for several hours while a fire raged along the coast. A hundred years later we could still see the path it took along our field which at the time would have been forest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have had the occasional fire in the past but this year many have been set by arsonists - there has been a dare challenge on TikTok to go into the country and start a fire - many started at farm barns too and farmers already desperate for fodder over the winter, have lost their entire hay crop - that they had already had to break into to start feeding their cattle/sheep because no grass for them due to the draught. A ghastly summer. Roll on autumn.

    How dreadful that there are so many wildfires in your area. Good grief - imagine having to stand in the sea to avoid being burnt (but even so the smoke must have been so bad). We have the River Wye between us and the current fire, but it looks like the prevailing wind is from the east, away from us here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That tiktok challenge is horrible. I cannot understand why in the world anyone would take such a challenge. I honestly think that anyone caught doing something like this should, as part of their punishment have the stipulation that they cannot have access to social media. People will claim that can't be enforced but pairing it with mandatory incarceration for violating it might helpful. Here, they have the bans for pedophiles and predators.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kids with no brains, trying to show off. Bad enough doing it anywhere, but in the Welsh valleys, very stupid as it's their own backyard - wind only has to blow towards the streets and it's their own home at risk - and of course, an entire community. Set the mynydd (heather and gorse clad hills) alight, and it is so tinder dry it will soon spread to be an enormous fire front. The one at Glascwm last night was 600m long. Under control now, but boy, is it smokey out there.

    I agree about the access to social media, if it could be enforced.Community work too - to make them sit up and take notice that they are part of a community and it matters.

    ReplyDelete