I have come into the Utility room the past two mornings to find 4 or 5 Wasps trying to get out of the shut window. Opening the window involves standing on a chair, climbing onto the counter opening the window, and then in reverse a few moments later. Not very safe . . . The bottom of the wall above the window aperture (where two pipes go across) has never been covered over, hence the wasps can come down. So I had to ask neighbour Ed if he could come and box it in for me, which he did very efficiently with wood, sealed round with cob (he has been making a new shed with cob floor and walls. He loves working with clay.) I am now baking him a nice crusty loaf, as he said he would prefer that to cake. Nothing simpler - bring ingredients to dough in bread mixer, then chuck into oven. Yummy.
Pippi has been keeping me company on the sofa, as though cooler, still hot for cats in fur coats. I am desperate NOT to touch the horse fly bites on my back as they are driving me crazy. It had a blardy good meal from me, that's for certain! A female one as they can't breed without blood . . . human blood or horse, it matters not!
The Valley of Ravens has been finished and sent on to my friend Gay, who will devour it as quickly as I did, I am sure. My friend Pam had never read any of Barbara Erskine's books, so I sent her home with Lady of Hay and the Dream Weavers. My good deed for the day. I am reading The Plague Maiden by Kate Ellis now,
Podcasts this week - part 1 of A Murderous Affair: Death at Mayerling, will do part 2 today. Part of a Dark Wales Tours podcast about the Haunting of Plas Mawr - not very impressed. Something from In Our Time - that made a lasting impression, clearly! I was trying to get part 2 of Mayerling on the way back from the Fair on Saturday but it hadn't loaded.
Now trying to get baked on jam off the bottom of my maslin pan. Apparently baking soda and water, simmered for 10 mins, does the trick . . . and indeed it has.

I rem reading Lady of Hay and being horrified by the cruelty. I do enjoy Kate Ellis series. Do you read Rhys Dylan's crime procedurals? The one story line seems to be in your area of Wales. I always love books w local to me [you] settings....
ReplyDeletedon't know what cob is or how he fixed your window! We need a pic. Your breadmaking has me seriously considering a breadmaker this winter--tho I do not need the carb calories, I guess.
Horrible about the insect bites! I can nevr not scratch, so allegic, even to tiny gnat bites. Would a deep coolish bath w oatmeal soak or epsom salts help?
Dear Pippi. The bench looks cool if not cofy.
It was brutal then, that's for sure. de Braose was not the sort of chap you would want in your social circle . . .
DeleteAh, cob is basically clay which is mixed with straw and you can make a house wall from it - rather like an adobe one I think. It hardens and dries and is very warm. He daubed the plank with it, and into the corners where there were big gaps where the wasps could get in, so it's sealed tightly now. I will try and get a picture but the reflection against the window glass is against me. I will see if I can put my make up mirror beneath it . . .
A good breadmaker is worth having, because you control what goes into your food. You can slice the cooked bread and freeze it and just have a slice now and then. I make crusty in-the-oven loaves which are delicious - too delicious!! Not sure if Epsom Salts or oatmeal would help these bites. First off anything hot sends them bananas (a bag of frozen peas is wonderful though). The horse fly injects you with something to stop the blood coagulating so they can lap it up. This produces your body to create a huge dump of histamine to the bite. An antihistamine helps to a degree, and I've just read that Sudocrem will help, so off to put some of that on.
Pippi is the queen of cool . . .
No, I thought a cool or tepid soak bath that would draw out the ''poison''. No need to do a pic if it's hard, was just trying to imagine the room space.
DeleteRoom space I can do . . . Will take a photo later.
DeleteI have to stand on the base of the sink cupboard to be able to reach the window handle to open it. My itchy bites have subsided a lot with the help of E45 Itch Relief Gel which I keep in the fridge. Miss Sheva is under our bed having got in as I'd opened it to put bed linen away. We've done a tip run to get rid of tatty bookcase and a printer which spat ink out everywhere. I found copies of Katherine Wenworth and Katherine's Marriage by D E Stevenson, so thought I would read them for old times sake, wonder if they will be very stuck in their time. Xx
ReplyDeleteI must seek some of that out, although I found that a suggestion that Sudocrem helps and I can verify it does. Bites instantly stopped itching and the Sudocrem lessens chance of infection. Of course, these bites are around shoulder area of back and difficult to reach. Two new lesser bites from yesterday, when I wore a skirt again (don't ask where the 2nd one is!!) Enjoy your refound books.
Deleteugh horse bite flies here really hurt. Sounds like Ed is a great neighbour and hope you got rid of those wasps, have a nice week.
ReplyDeleteEd is a very kind and considerate neighbour. Wasps are now back in their chosen space. As they never return, and it is very nearly the end of the waspy season, hopefully I don't have to put up with them too long. Horse fly bites are the only ones I am NEVER tempted to scratch!
DeleteI’ve never listened to any pod casts, not something floated by boat. My wife has been bitten by something in the garden and the are sending her mad allI had were some mozzy bights
ReplyDeleteThere are all sorts of categories - I use Spotify. I love to learn something new every day.
DeleteSorry your wife got bitten. I shan't miss them when they aren't about! I find After Bite helps but not so much for horse fly bites.
Black and white 'tuxedo cats' are always elegant. Lovely Pippi! I am battling wasps [although I prefer the term 'hornets'] at the hummingbird feeders and at the top of the back porch posts, too near my clothes line. Ants also slurping in the hummers' sugar syrup--I rush the empty feeders to the kitchen sink, turning on the hot tap to drown the ants; a few always crawl onto my hands, Aarrgh! Are these insects of any beneficial use?
ReplyDeleteShe must have been cool in the night as she snuggled up close to me in bed. (Well I was in bed, she was on it. Hornets here are half the length of your thumb and stocky. They make wasps look pathetic by comparison. I don't mind the wasps at roof height, but NOT in the house, thank you.
DeleteSorry you are having other hangers on enjoying your hummingbird feeders, though who can blame them? I think ants and horse flies have been put here just to annoy us . . .