Pages

Pages

Jennie's recipes

Saturday, 15 August 2026

Confession - I spent some money on ME

 


A post in reverse . . . this was taken on the way home from Leominster with my friend Pam again.  Hang gliders on a hillside near Hundred House. We had a lovely day out.  



Lovely old Georgian houses (some in sad condition though) at the entrance to the car park. The one with the double doors was a coaching inn, back in the day. It's called The Coach House.


A nice old sampler from 1889.


A 19th C (Berlin) woolwork picture.


Upstairs - a nice rustic Unit.



Back downstairs . . .


Love this, but not the price!  


Some nice pieces of Majolica across this stand and that FABULOUS old Welsh love spoon.

Finally, what I fell in love with last week and went back to look more closely at and purchase today:


A Gothic Revival Dole Cupboard.  A Victorian copy of a 16th C piece.  The two central panels replaced at some point I think in the last century.  Wrong handle - I will look through Keith's supply of brass reproduction drop handles for it. I love the old butterfly hinges and the small square carvings.  VERY much the sort of thing Keith and I would have put in Ynyswen. Here it is going to probably go above the settle in the kitchen, where I currently have the clock.  Need to measure up...  20" - it will fit.  I am thrilled to bits with it.  The look I like at the price I can afford!  I felt, even when I first saw it and thought WOW, that Keith was at my elbow, encouraging me to buy it . . .

21 comments:

  1. That's quite a fancy love spoon!
    And spending money on yourself is allowed you know. The cupboard is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After all my big outgoings this year, it seemed a little naughty, but I knew that Keith wanted me to buy it. I am glad that I did. The love spoon was really lovely.

      Delete
  2. That cupboard is a beautiful piece and the patina on it is just gorgeous. I think Keith was definitely egging you on to buy it. We had a trip to B&Q for some slab laying stuff, the builders hadn't done a very good job. Seen parts of Derby we've never seen before! Other than that some gardening, lots of dead-heading and pulling up plants that have died, and some ironing. Hopefully you will find a handle to suit amongst Keith's stuff. Hugs Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it had been . . . restored . . . but it had the look I wanted at the price I could afford! What a shame you are having to re-do work you had paid to have done. The only thing about Derby I remember was the excellent museum.

      I am nearly up to date with dead-heading roses and as it cools will hopefully be able to get out in the garden more. I found some of Keith's handles, but am trying to think where the hell I saw the one I want!

      Delete
  3. How would this cupboard have worked? In our suburb we have a disconnected fridge, where people put items of food, put a note up on Fb, and people who need it just collect. Would this be an ancient version of this? ... minus the Fb, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bread and cheese would have been kept inside. As it hangs on the wall, mice couldn't reach it, and the pierced door allowed air to circulate and stop mould forming. Bread and cheese would be "doled out" to the poor . . .

      Delete
  4. LOVE LOVE LOVE your dole cupboard, how deep is it as hard to tell the picture. First instincts are usually the best I find it grabs the heart, often of course money may not be available at that time but the mind still remembers.
    I have a lovely glass cabinet that we bought at a farm clearing sale about 45 yrs ago for $5 I still love it. At the same sale was a high desk that a clerk would have sat on a high stool at to do his bookwork, still think about it but at the time was not a useful thing to buy as we didn't have a lot of money but happy to say that as the years a rolled along I've been able to collect quite a bit since then especially vintage English and French china and glassware it's become a bit of a hobby, the grand children love it when Granny gets the OLD STUFF out for tea and cakes. From Shirley in OZ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 9 1/2" deep, with a single shelf in it. Not sure what I will store in mine, but something light, so as not to pull it off the wall! I am glad you followed your instincts with the glass cabinet you bought all those years ago. Probably more useful that the Clerk's desk! Glad you have some nice vintage English and French china and glassware and that your grandchildren love using it when they visit. Things should be used and not just looked at.

      Delete
  5. It's me again, I've just been doing some family stuff and I see that Ynyswen is not that far from Brynammon where my great grandfather was from his name was David Brynammon Davies he had two newsagent shops in Ynyshir in the Rhondda Vally and was known as Davies the book as in bookseller as there were so many with the name Davies. I have his funeral booklet in welsh with my mothers translation tucked inside, he was an elder in the Sion Chapel. My grandmother was their youngest child, Shirley in OZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, this was our old house called Ynyswen (White Island is the translation), rather than a place called Ynyswen. Brynammon is near Ammanford, which was a mining town in the past. On the Eastern edge of Carmarthenshire. The Rhondda Valley is more Easterly again and in the huge coal seams of Wales. My grandfather and his mum, stepfather and brothers and sisters moved there from London for work in the coal mines. They lived in Aberbargoed. How lovely that you are of Welsh descent and that you have his funeral booklet. Did any Welsh words linger on in your family?

      Delete
  6. Love the cupboard. Every now and again it does your soul good to treat yourself to something that sings to you and you can look at in the future and have a happy feeling. Life is meant to be so much more than paying out for mundane bills that bring no joy. Lovely day out for you both Take care. T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right there Tam, it has given me a real lift. It spoke to me from the first moment I saw it. Keith would have bought it there and then! We enjoyed our day out and the sausage bap we had for lunch kept us full all day.

      Delete
  7. The cupboard is lovely. It is no good walking away when something calls to you that strongly. You would still be regretting 'the one that got away' years later. Been there, done that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I always tell customers, it's not the things you buy that you regret, it's the things you walk away from.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you it is lovely and I am sure every time you walk by it your heart and soul will get a lift. Many times I have walked away from something I loved and regretted it so much. These sort of things cannot be bought easily like things in a modern shop definitely the right thing to do, it had your name on it. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just hope my neighbour can come and put it on the wall SOON. About to bake him a chocolate apple cake as a bribe anyway! I would have a long journey to find another piece like this at the right price.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes you just HAVE to treat yourself don't you. It's very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Just wish Keith could have been here to enjoy it too, but he was at my elbow, saying buy it!!

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful piece to purchase. I am glad you decided to purchase it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am now thinking it's heavy - will it pull half the wall off?!!!

      Delete
  13. GASP!! I'm so thrilled you went back and bought it!!!! What a gorgeous, gorgeous piece! So glad you listened to Keith :). Enjoy it! ~melanie

    ReplyDelete