Pages

Pages

Jennie's recipes

Thursday, 10 September 2026

A Country Bribe!

 


This was on my doorstep earlier on. The tomato is ENORMOUS.  My neighbour is away for the weekend, could I water round for him please?  I explained my sore back, and we agreed I would just use the hose.


I decided I would have a morning out and go to Doughty's in Hereford for fabric for binding.  Also some to try and finish this quilt off.  No way could I match any of these of course.  I took photos . . .


There was nothing remotely like any of it.  The colours weren't true in the photo either so the "may do" fabrics I use may be an outer border.  That blue print on white - NOTHING like it in the shop. Or the pale lemon, grey, white . . . or the stripe come to that!!


The bright pink print is backing width, so will do well for Danny's quilt with lots left over.  The next one in is the right pink for the quilt with no centre which I repaired, but was £24 and now I have it home I am thinking, that's a lot for binding and it's lovely fabric, so may think again on that.  The other three prints are pale lemon with snowflakes, a bright blue print which whilst absolutely nothing like the print used is at least a similar blue as a background, and the washy one is pale lemon butterflies which isn't a bad match for the pale lemon on the quilt.  Now looking on line for better matches as their selections today a bit disappointing . . .


Hawthorn berries on my walk today.  I shall be up and along the old railway line all week as I have to walk on the level. It's a mile each way.


A little hint that the farmer does NOT want you to drive through his gate thank you very much.  You can tell there's a quarry just up the road!


Looking across to Aberedw mynydd.  The farmer has been very proactive and cut his hedges already.


I went to Breinton Farm Shop for apples.  Lord Lamborne, Laxton Fortune and Red Windsor. Good heritage apples with SO much flavour.  MUCH cheaper than supermarket apples imported half way round the world.

Off to do my exercises again on my yoga mat.  


Rosehips here and a Robin's Pincushion at the top.




14 comments:

  1. That's one heck of a big lump of rock! They put old bits of machinery in gateways here.

    I'm pleased that I won't have to buy eating apples for several weeks - A good year for my Falstaff trees even though they are only young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of gateways blocked this way around Builth.

      My eating apples aren't ripe yet.

      Delete
  2. What a shame you couldn't find any fabric to match or tone in. You could follow Frugal Queen who seems to buy all her quilting materials from Emmaus or Brocantes, huge pillowcases, sheets and duvet covers. At least you have somewhere nice and flat to walk, round here its all hills and when we were house hunting I discarded so many houses because you gardened on a slope, some you would have needed to have been a mountain goat. Its raining here, just managed to rescue the bedding off the line. Hope the back is feeling better soon. Xx P.s Dad did his back playing cricket! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do look in the local charity shops, but there is never anything that would do - all big patterns or hideous colours. I am envious that Frugal Queen can quilt so cheaply. I have two flat places to walk - apart from round the town - and that is the Groe which is the park by the river - and the old railway line. The houses we discarded were ones on busy roads!

      I did a load of washing today, but late on, so it is hung in the Utility to dry overnight.

      Delete
  3. That's a very firm boundary that farmer has established there! What if *he* wants to get through the gate, I wonder? :). Those are some lovely fabrics, even if they're not precise matches. I have to say, as a person who does exactly zero sewing, I really love looking at fabric...all those colours and patterns are very pleasing to my brain :D. Hope the exercises and walking are helping your back. ~melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they will get used on something. I found some (2) yellows that look like they may go well, so ordered and look forward to my parcel. The walking is definitely helping, and the exercises seem to ease it too.

      Delete
  4. I love heritage apples, we used to go to an orchard that grew them and made cider. Ours aren't as heritage as yours tho suppose.

    I like the pale fabrics for the lemon and blue quit, and the blue. I wish I could help. in person. I LOVE the snowflake print.. Could we see the quil flat and open, maybe on your bed,so see what it needs> When you feel better, only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see me perhaps waiting until the Quilt festival at Malavern next month, to see if I can get some better matches - no rush on it. I will give it to Rosie when it's done, for her bed, though at the rate things are going she'd going to be in her teens before she gets in there!!

      I will lay it flat on the bed. I need to trim it though as she has used a right mish-mash of bits of polyester batting behind it, and a remnant of an old flanelette sheet in the middle for backing . . . Bless her, I think she was starting to lose it then.

      Back not quite so sore today but I am looking forward to my walk as that is when it loosens up.

      Delete
  5. Pls disregard previous where I asked to see the blue and lemon quilt laid out Somehow I overlooked the pic you posted, sorry. What do you need more fabric for, borders?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will lay it on my bed anyway. There is a block in there, with 2 blue, one yellow; blue, yellow, blue; yellow, 2 blue, so I will use that for the edging. Was it you or Morning's Minion who said this was Trip Around the World pattern?

      Delete
    2. Lizzy here. It is a Trip around the World pattern tho I didn’t say that. They are often square If it was my project I’d undo the nasty polyester batting and put cotton. New backing. Rosie will love it! For her college dorm room 🤣 lizzy gone to the beach

      Delete
    3. Yes, it is square and bigger than I thought. Put it on the guest bed and it's nearly double size.

      Delete
  6. May I just say that is a truly beautiful quilt, the colours, your expertise - just soooo gorgeous. Wish I owned it, sigh. Jan in Castle Gresley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jan - I didn't make this one. It was part of a bundle of quilts I got at auction (this and another unfinished one). It's very pretty, but she has made a right muddle up of quilting it from the middle out with whatever polyester oddments she had left over and a ripped up flannel sheet (which will get trimmed and covered over). It is very square and needs borders top and bottom to make it into a single bed quilt. I thought it would go nicely in Rosie's yellow bedroom - when she finally gets in there!

    ReplyDelete