▼

Pages

▼

Pages

▼

Jennie's recipes

▼

Saturday, 26 September 2026

A really lovely day out and a trip to Calico Kate's

 


This was last night's sunset.  I walked along our track to take photos as it was just too good to miss.  It foretold a sunny day today so I decided I would have my Day Out and make the most of the late September sunshine.


I wasn't sure where to go.  Ludlow I thought, and as I had suggested to Pam she might come along, that would satisfy her wanting to see arounda castle that wasn't a total ruin.  I also considered going further than that to Much Wenlock which is a truly beautiful Medieval town with a 12th C Cluniac Priory.  Or else perhaps in a similar area but a little lower down, I could revisit Wightwick Manor, which Keith and I absolutely adored when we went there 8 years or so ago.  It was my special birthday outing.  Then I started doing sums, and knowing that I had to go and pay the rent at the Unit and hand my notice in, it made sense to have my day out on the back of that and go on to St Dogmael's Abbey and revisit the Early Christian Monuments there.  In the event Pam was working and then going out in her garden.  So I was free to do what I wanted.

I stopped in Carmarthen for a picnic lunch, remembered to buy Curry powder but forgot washing up liquid!  Then on to St Dogmael's, which is by Cardigan.



















There will be more photos from the church and Abbey ruins tomorrow.  I came home via Calico Kate's in Lampeter . Hoping to vaguely match the blue print in the Round the World quilt, but no chance.  I brought a pretty blue print anyway which is nearly the same colour and will incorporate this in closer to the original quilt square.

The pink prints I just couldn't resist, and the dark ones will tie in nicely in the bathroom curtains I'm making.



As you can see, many many fabrics (this is just a fraction of the display in a dozen or more rooms). 




Quilting ideas as well.  The one above in Christmas fabrics would make a super Christmas table runner.



11 comments:

  1. I have seen cadavers under the main effigy in a few tombs in Oxfordshire but never one like that as the top of a tomb. The reformation robs us of a lot of things like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite an impressive piece. The Reformation bods can't have been much fun to live with - anything beautiful was destroyed, all in the name of idolatry.

      Delete
  2. Home from our holidays, glad the postcard arrived. Salcombe is lovely, but SO expensive. £700,000 for a mid terraced house! We used to love going to Wightwick, always at Christmas to see the house decorated and they would often have actors posing as servants, putting on a small entertainment show and again in the summer just to see the gardens. We've given up our NT membership and just use our Chatsworth one. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you had a lovely time. House prices like that certainly stop the locals getting a foot on the housing ladder. Oooh, there's a nice thought, to go to Wightwick at Christmas. Pam would probably be up for that. I have never had NT membership as living in Wales, very few NT properties. I'm nearer a few now but they are still a hike and it's still not worth joining.

      Delete
  3. You always have such interesting photos of the places you visit. Love the colours of the quilting fabrics you chose.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy the photos. I needed some cerebral stimulation and the ECM's and Priory remains ticked that box, along with the podcasts I listened to.

      Delete
  4. The monuments and carvings are fascinating. So much history there. What lovely fabrics! I wouldn't want to leave that shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh believe me, I could have spent an arm and a leg in there! So many beautiful fabrics but I was pleased with what I bought.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for all the lovely pictures of quilts and fabrics. I've really slowed down recently so it's great to get a bit of inspiration. I finished a queen sized hand appliqued quilt some time ago and still trying to work out how I'm going to quilt it, I'm dithering as it's a big job but want to complete it myself. I have decided to sandwich it together and then spread it over one of my guest beds so I see it all the time and shame myself.
    We only have a short European settlement history here in Australia but we have managed to hang on to a lot of historical buildings thank goodness. History and Geography were my loves at school a looooog time ago and still love them so as my travelling days are over as my husband is now disabled I also enjoy your historical pictures and stories. So thanks again. From Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walking the Jack Mytton trail took us through Much Wenlock, which was so lovely that we went back later to explore and visit the Priory. What amazing places these big religious houses must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walking the Jack Mytton trail took us through Much Wenlock, which was so lovely that we went back later to explore and visit the Priory. What amazing places these big religious houses must have been.

    ReplyDelete