Pages

Pages

Jennie's recipes

Tuesday, 22 September 2026

Can I be someone else today please?

 I have been extremely unmotivated today.  Haven't wanted to do anything.  I had to force myself to go for a walk this morning, and even then made it half an hour instead of 3/4 hr as I had no energy.  It's been quite muggy out too, which doesn't help.  Yet last night I was watching stuff on Instagram - daft clips of people falling over on ice, being chased by cows, chickens etc and there was one of goats on a greenhouse roof - they lost their footing - and I was laughing till I cried!  The being chased by chickens reminded Gabby and I of when we had a small bantam cockerel called Grotty Cock (after a Yorkshire friend's version of the same temperament, who ended up as a pie).  He came as a freeby when I first started keeping hens - did I want some chickens?  They came in boxes and turned out to be all small bantam cockerels . . . too small to eat.  One in particular took a real dislike to Danny after he pretended to be a cockerel up in the copse.  He must have been convincing as the cockerel chased him all the way across the paddock and ripped a hole in his wellie heel with his beak or spurs.  After that it would wait for Danny to get out of the school taxi at the gate, so we had to go out and chase the wretched thing off so Danny could get indoors safely.  He soon went on a little car trip up the valley, where we gave him his freedom to terrorize local foxes . . .


Anyway, after my walk today, I came home, read my paper, did my puzzles from it and had a nap.  I got some meat out (unmarked - pork?) for tea, but now it's thawed, I can see it has freezer burn, so that's for bunging now.  Giant fishfingers it will be then . . .

I needed to make two cakes for tomorrow - one as a thankyou and one as a gift.  One's a Lemon Drizzle cake and the other a Windfall Apple Cake.  I had to go out for more eggs before getting the lemon drizzle under way.


My tummy has been painful too, calling for a Panadol.  Trying to think of the positives today.  I have been out to admire the three big clumps of plants my local friend Pam donated yesterday (she had them growing under a tree and they weren't happy).  They are Leucanthemum "Banana Cream".  They are big daisy type flowers and we've put them in on the bank - Pam, bless her, dug the holes for them after I'd cleared the area.  I had a good cut back of Monbretia, Fennel, etc etc yesterday.  So that was a positive in itself.

I am debating whether or not to bother going to the last Malvern of the year next month.  Seems an unnecessary expenditure tbh as I only have the small December fair after that.  Right now, I am all for drawing a line under everything, but that may well change when I haven't been anywhere all winter.  We will see.  With diesel at £1.99 a litre now, I am going to have a hit in the next few days - yet more fuel to put in for my journey tomorrow and Tam's later in the week.  I can't afford an actual day out just for me, not really.  I have been very short on those since my holiday in the spring.


Tomorrow I have my other chiro session, and patchwork, and catch up with Carms. Pam, which will be lovely.  One of the cakes is for her.



Jay-walking chickens on my walk the other day.

Back to reading Evil Under the Sun, though I think I have twigged who the murderer was already . . .

Today's podcast on my walk, was a Dan Snow one about Stamford Bridge.



6 comments:

  1. I filled up a couple of weeks ago at £1.92. Haven't been far since but tyre checks tomorrow, then shopping, then solicitor then it will be down to half and time to fill up again - oh dear.
    Hope Chiropractor session goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine has suddenly dropped, following my trip to Malvern as it has gotten below half and then I can't reliably tell exactly how much is in there. Will need more in tomorrow, that much is certain.

      Chiro should be ok as the inflammation has gone away now.

      Delete
  2. That explains why they have bantam weight boxers then! It sounds like you could have had a cock fighting champion on your hands in ages past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does indeed. The little ones were really full of bravado. I can remember a full size pair of cockerels fighting on the wall one day and I could understand why people used to bet on them in the days of cock fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm I don't think I've been chased by chickens, I have 7 of them and they are sweet although I imagine a rooster might be a bit different. I have been chased by a goat though and they are fierce, have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the ladies are generally good natured, though we did have Pinky, who was a Silky cross White Sussex I think, and she had Attitude! Geese are the worse, very territorial.

      Yes, been chased by a goat too. I didn't know I could run that fast!

      Delete