I have had to order a new fridge-freezer, as the freezer is now starting to fail. Well, I have had my money's worth out of it (20, possibly 25, years). It was a top of the range one at the time too, but to replace like with like now, I would be coughing up £2,000. I don't think so! I've had to compromise and spend a quarter of that. I am grateful I have the savings as a buffer to pay for this, but want to try and replace it when I can. I had a little windfall from the Electricity Board, my Wayleave payment for having one of their poles on my land. But that is swallowed up (and more) straight away by having to pay £40 to the plumber and £40 to the Carpenter for repairing the little Windsor chair. Ah well, such is life. However, in clearing the top of the fridge-freezer, I found a bag with two knives in. One was Danny's, which Keith had had made for him, and the other was one I had forgotten all about, one Keith had bought at a Fair and stowed away. That will go and be offered for sale now.
Well, the Utility hasn't been this tidy for a long while . . . A purely temporary state of affairs, as what came out this afternoon will all go back, more neatly, when the new fridge-freezer is installed.
So, a busy day. I took some meat from the freezer across to Pam's who has space in hers. Some more stuff will go to my neighbour Ed, and I went out and bought a cool box - having given Tam the old one. Wrong move!
First thing I sewed up some more 16 block "big blocks", so progress there. Then when I get back I have to do family history research as Tam has someone in Yorkshire, who will do archive look ups for us.
Off to pick up the little Windsor chair now.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged" that when you give something away you will need it later. I donated my son's toy sword to a charity shop when he reached his late teens. A week later we were invited to a fancy-dress medieval banquet! I could virtually hear the universe laughing at me!
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely. That's happened many a time. And WHY did I donate the Reader's Digest book of FOlklore to the charity shop? Tam would have loved it and they are fetching silly money on Ebay now (£60 or so!)
ReplyDeleteWell done on finding the knives, maybe the sale will help a little bit with your new fridge expenditure. Alan has just been clearing out the very top of his fridge too, no knives there but very happily, he found a bottle of Port, a gift from Christmas lurking in a basket up there. We will be buying a smaller version of an American style fridge freezer for our new kitchen as we are leaving our two fridge freezers behind. My SMEG would be too big, they are very deep, and Alan's fridge freezer is black, not really the vibe we are going for in the new place.
ReplyDeleteIt will go towards it anyway. Glad Alan found a bottle of port - better than finding an empty bottle! YOu will enjoy choosing your new American style fridge I'm sure.
DeleteI hope the knife brings in tons of money to go towards the new fridge. After a year in the new to us house, this week I finally found the box of my favourite books (mostly garden or nature related, no surprise there) in the garage. I was relieved to find they had sustained no damage. We also found some silver coins my father in law had collected. Those might be worth a few $100 and can go towards a hearing aid for my husband, not covered by our version of the National Elf.
ReplyDeleteWell, it is worth just under 3 figures I think - can't find one like it anywhere on t'Internet. Glad you found some much-loved books and those silver coins. That will help towards the expense of your husband's hearing aid. You would think that anything to do with seeing and hearing should be covered . . .
DeleteWhy is it that refrigerator/freezers never seem to give up in the winter? It would sure make keeping food cold a bit easier!
ReplyDeleteWell, when we pulled it out, the bit that cools it at the back was absolutely covered in dust and spiders' webs, so that would have put it under strain as well.
ReplyDelete