Pages

Pages

Jennie's recipes

Sunday, 2 August 2026

Aberedw and its history

 I will do a separate post for the church at Aberedw, later in the week.  Here are the photos from the castle remains and Llewelyn's Cave.  Trying to get back the excitement of the day, but am feeling quite depressed after my worst-ever Fair yesterday and the Microwave now being on the way out.  It would seem that this year it is money out all the time, and always in BIG chunks.  If I didn't have savings, my credit card bill would be enormous.


Sadly the castle which Llewelyn ap Gruffudd would have known was plundered for stone when the railway line went through so only the motte and bailey layout remain.


A lovely view from the top.


Everywhere is scorched by the endless sunshine.


A pair of Holly Blues on a Bramble flower.


Out of the wall below the church!  Remains of a Halloween celebration I'm guessing :)



Apparently it's half a mile to Llewelyn's cave - well, it seemed a lot further, and a steep hill on the lane and then quite a steep climb up to the cave.  We didn't push ourselves anyway.  Apparently Llewelyn's Cave was also inhabited by various religious hermits in the past, including in his time.



This would seem to translate into "we will rise again". . .


"In memory of Llewelyn ap Gruffudd, Prince of Wales".


This was a much-visited place, and there was a lot in the way of graffiti initials and dates.



There was a Marian mark in the bit above . . .  The conjoined VV. Meaning Virgo Virginum - Virgin of Virgins - and a protective mark often found in house beams.  A "witch mark" to protect a site.


It looks like all lads had penknives with them, back in the day . . .





A more serious momento from these chaps, the year before WWI broke out.  

Llewelyn ap Gruffudd - or Llewlyn the Last - was Prince of Gwynedd between 1255 and 1282.  He proclaimed himself Prince of Wales in 1258.  Henry III of ENgland recognized him thus in 1267, in the Treaty of Montgomery.  Sadly there were so many different factions warring in Wales and his brother Dafydd was aligned with the English, and land-holdings granted him caused problems.  Wikipedia tells the story with greater alactrity than me, especially at 2.20 a.m. (I can't sleep).  

The tale of Llewelyn's demise at Cilmeri involves him having his horse shod by the blacksmith at Aberwedw, the shoes being put on backwards to confuse anyone following his trail.  Unfortunately he didn't get to meet up with his Army and was struck down and killed at Cilmeri.  There is a stone raised in his memory.  He was decapitated and his head washed in a spring there .  It was sent to London and crowned with Ivy (to show he was a King of the rebels and a mockery of the prophecy which said a Welshman would be crowned in London as King of the whole of Britain).  It ended up on the Tower of London for at least 15 years.  His body is believed to have been buried at Abbey Cwm Hir, which is about 8 or 10 miles beyond Llandod.

Well, I shall go back to bed now and try to sleep and not worry about bills and how to pay them.



10 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you had a disappointing sale. Is everyone holding back because of the extra cost of fuel, and the flow-on price rises? Businesses over here are complaining bitterly, and restaurants and cafes are going under at a great rate. I'll go to Wikki now re read about this guy. I hope you sleep better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, and my profit margins are much less because of that too. I had several ladies trying hard to decide about two pieces of studio pottery yesterday, then walking away. I lost a sale on a stool to a returning customer, as I couldn't guarantee it 100% safe due to an old repair, so I advised against her buying it.

      Delete
  2. A rich history, so interesting but very brutal. Having recently moved, I am in the same boat re money seemingly pouring out of the bank account. I purchased some chamomile tea to calm the stress levels, a worthwhile investment, it has helped with going to sleep but I'm still waking up too early. I look and feel dreadful. Just going to pour my second cup of tea and try to find some flexible curtain track to go round a bay window online. Fun and games eh! Take care, T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh yes, times are still brutal when push comes to shove. Us humans have a very thin veneer of civilisation. We spent quite a big chunk having a new kitchen, new bathroom etc when we moved here. You couldn't sit in the cast iron bath, it was so rough! Good luck with the hunt for the flexible curtain track and much happiness in your new home.

      Delete
  3. So sorry to hear that the Fair was poor. Some people buying at car boot sales still seem to find bags of stuff to buy - goodness knows what as my usual spend is around 50p.
    The microwave going wrong also sounds like a right pain - hope you can find a cheapy for a replacement, they are one of the few things that have come down in price in the last 40 years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear that, especially after all the work involved in doing a show. I think people are really cutting back on spending at the moment. I have noticed that the charity shops in our nearest town have decreased their prices after years of steadily increases. I also read a comment on an American blog the other day suggesting that people there are getting rid of their second cars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cave is so full of history - what a great place to visit. I love all the graffiti especially the apotropaic marian mark. Sorry to hear the sale was disappointing and the microwave needs replacing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did find the way to go to the cave, must have a look next time I get a chance. The church was the first place I noticed the Clerics Trail. The castle I nosed around was over by the old railway, I did a blog on castles seems to be a few around the area I went to. New Radnor was behind the church as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting day out, hopefully it made up for the poor Fair in some way. We have lots of antiques centres in old mill buildings round here and people are visiting but not buying/or spending very little. One has even gone out of business and has become a children's soft play centre. Hopefully you can find a cheapy microwave somewhere - Asda or Tesco. Take care. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I have done some hard thinking and have set out my plans, so that is something positive. I think trade has been quiet this past month/6 weeks because of holiday plans/spending.

    I am waiting for the microwave to break completely - at the moment it is having off days now and again, then I will perhaps get one from Marketplace to tide me over. Same for the Vacuum cleaner as can't buy it all at once.

    ReplyDelete