Pages

Pages

Jennie's recipes

Friday, 18 September 2026

A Scary Day and an Update

 I decided I would try and get an appointment with my Optician yesterday, as the soreness from the stye I had 6 weeks ago still hadn't totally gone away.  She was very thorough and used a dye and checked it with her opthalmic machine.  I had two options - ignore it, and wait for it to heal, or I could spend £10 on a heating mask that you put in the microwave.  I chose the latter.



As I was driving home, my phone went.  It was the Optician.  I pulled over and phoned back.  She was writing up my notes she said, and she went to check her Big Book of Eyes . . . she was going to get an emergency appointment for me at the Hospital at Hereford, as she just wanted them to thoroughly check my eyelid just in case it was Squamous Cell Cancer.  She said she was 95% sure that I had just had a stye, because of the pus it had produced, but clearly she wanted to do due diligence . . .


Tiny catkins on the Hazel bushes.  A sign of hope . . . there will be a spring after all.


Needless to say, this hit me like a brick and I spent the evening trying not to think about it.  95% chance it wasn't, but still a teensy chance it was . . . We all take our health so much for granted.  Problems with limbs I can deal with, but anything to do with internal giblets or eyes/mouth etc, not so easy to think about . . . 

Much sewing today I think, to take my mind off it . . .  


A helpful little Pippi Cat . . .  I have to move from my place on the sofa so she can snuggle down beside or behind me!

Update:  I have an appt. to go to Outpatients early in October for an eye check with a consultant.  Not long to wait and not as far to go as Hereford, as it will be in Llandod.  That doesn't sound so worrying.

I have guests tomorrow - part-time neighbour and good friend Sam is bringing his girlfriend up to meet me.  I have galloped round with the vacuum, deep cleaned the bathroom, and baked two Chocolate Courgette Cakes (BBC Good Food recipe).  I have had a still warm slice and it is GOOD.  My friend Ann will get a slice on Sunday when I go to Malvern.

Postal deliveries too - a new (half price) sweat shirt from Cotton Traders, and my two yellow fabrics from The Cotton Patch.  A little brighter than yellows used but one is virtually the same pattern (which is like a little darker shadow) and I think they will tie in nicely.  

I have had my dehumidifier on this week as Tam was telling me last weekend I needed to as it had been so humid, and I had to empty it this morning. A container full of water.  So she was right . . .

My walk today was up to my horsey neighbour and my back/hip coped with the steady slope up there.  I was fed up with the same flat walk along the old railway line.

Now it's time to sit down with a cup of Earl Grey, my new library book (Agatha Christie's Evil Under the Sun) and an ice pack on my lower back.  

20 comments:

  1. It sounds like she is taking a very belt and braces approach. I hope you get seen quickly so that your fears can be allayed. I've been in the same situation and it is not nice. You strike me as being a very intuitive person who would have instinctively realised if something was seriously wrong. I did have that feeling, but it took me 3 visits to my surgery before I got a referral to dermatology. I'm glad your optician is more on the ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. As does daughter Gabby who works for the Opticians in John Lewis. Until I rubbed my eye in the night recently (note to self : wake up first and DON'T do that!) I wasn't even aware it was still there. Now it feels a little sore. Yes, glad that she has been so instant in getting an appt. at the Hospital. I shall be glad to get that behind me . . . and hopefully peace of mind.

      Delete
  2. Thoughts are with you, it's the waiting that's the worst. Long term reader, but usually don't comment, however on this occasion my heart just goes out to you .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you anon. Just about to put my heated mask on - that should help it. Thicker eye drops last night kept both eyes lubricated. Now I have to wait to hear from Hereford.

      Delete
  3. Thinking of you BB. What a shock to receive such a phone call. It sounds as if the optician is being very diligent and best to get it checked and put your mind at rest. I hope you don't have to wait too long for an appointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she is being very diligent too. Appt. came through this afternoon for early October.

      Delete
  4. Gosh it is always a worry when you get referred on for further examination. But 95/% tells you not to worry, so get on with your needlework with that knowledge and clingy cats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, that IS scary. The waiting and anticipation is the absolute worst in these scenarios, I do hope you can be seen soon so you can have the all-clear. Well done on the optician for due diligence though...many may not have bothered. ~ melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not very good at being patient, but no option in this case.

      Delete
  6. Thinking of you. Very good the optician is being so thorough. Waiting is so difficult I hope you hear very soon from the hospital. We have had a year of just waiting for hospital appointments mostly for my Husband but also more worryingly for our younger son. It is a difficult time. Take care Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry that your husband and son have been waiting for hospital appts. Sending hugs.

      Delete
  7. While is must have been a huge shock, the fact that you have got such a diligent optician is very reassuring. My son has just been through a skin cancer scare, having a biopsy and removal of a large mole on his stomach that had changed completely tested. He was on tenterhooks for three weeks waiting for the final result, but it was happy news this week thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, you must have all been on tenterhooks over that. Good news that it wasn't what was feared.

      Delete
  8. These things hit us like a ton of bricks don’t they. Hopefully all will be well
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well yes, I didn't see that one coming (pun not intended!!)

      Delete
  9. Well done to your optician for being thorough. Hope the appointment comes very soon so you can go and stop worrying - it's the waiting that's the worst thing .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I have a date now, and can keep busy making curtains and quilts.

      Delete
  10. Seems this was posted 6 min ago so blogger might have sorted itself. Scary about your eye, I don't mind the Optician but going to the hospital to see them is always more worrying, mind you most of visits were due to getting crap in my eve and having it removed, no fun getting a grinding splinter taken out. Hope it goes well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hopeful that Blogger is getting its act together. Gosh, the sound of a grinding splinter in your eye is not a nice thought. I hope that you wear goggles now.

      Delete