I slept for 11 hours last night, which gives me some sort of idea that I had overdone things or had a bug. I have done little today. Read a chunk more of my book (and still angry because they are lambing OUT - his mother pursuing reluctant giving-birth ewes round a pitch black mountainous field with just a torch and on her own when they first arrived). It must have been bliss later when they had students helping at lambing. I sat on the sofa and strigged the Elderberries and froze them (1lb). I can cook them up into Syrup another day and may wander out and try and find some to join them tomorrow, though I don't recall seeing any on recent walks. Perhaps the old railway line . . .
I managed to persuade Ebay to let me have the money for the scooter, so that is in my account now. However, whilst checking my bank account I noticed that Plusnet had taken £49 from my bank in payment for my broadband this past month. I don't think so! Just gone out of contract, so I have renewed it for 24 months much more cheaply.
I've done some more of my x-stitch but have made an error, so must do some unpicking. Sod's Law.
Then I made a big decision this morning, something I have been thinking about for a while, and I took the lovely willow basket with Keith's ashes in up to my bedroom, and put it on his big chest of drawers, a tall Carmarthenshire-made one we bought at an early auction in Wales. It cost £180 I remember. Anyway, downstairs there was a little scattering of ashy dust where the basket had been so I rubbed my hand over it and went out to his workshop and rubbed it across his old workbench, where he had always been happy. A bit of him will be with it always now. There were tears, of course.
Then there was a timely arrival - the Just X-Stitch magazine I had bought on Ebay. Some really lovely designs in it.
I have twice taken this photo, the right way up and twice the computer had decided it needs to be viewed sideways. Apologies.
And a sideways cat, which I am going to make for "I".
Tea tonight is a cheating one - boughten Scampi, with a potato cut up for home made chips, and left-over veg.
Yesterday's long-haul Podcasts were great - The Rest is History's in depth discussion about Jack the Ripper and his victims. I have 3/4 one left to listen to.
Isn't this copper dipper lovely? I gave it a polish up, to go with my kitchenalia at the weekend. Tempted to keep it but don't need it.
A little German lemon squeezer. SO cute.
Well, I need to get the veg out now, so will leave you contemplating an autumn calendar now that September has arrived.






Two Elderberry trees that I know of close to home are both dead! No syrup for me this year.
ReplyDeleteThat lemon squeezer is lovely - very different.
Yes, it said "buy me"! Shame about your local Elderberry trees.
DeleteThe lemon squeezer looks a bit vintage, very nice. It's good to have nice memories of those who have gone before us.
ReplyDeleteGobel (German) 1930. I bet that's squeezed some lemons in the last century.
DeleteGoebel.
DeleteSometimes the batteries need a proper full recharge!!
ReplyDeleteNice that you took a bit of Keith back to his bench.
I'm still finding little notes and, things that Vic had squirelled away for me to find. Gives me a warm glow to think of him, although sad that he isn't here to share
I charged the batteries two days running, right up. I think the key must have been left on when it was in my car as it didn't want to start when I was trying to get it to move over the ramps to his car.
DeleteYes, Keith would like to be part of his workshop again. Glad that you are finding little notes from Vic. Sadly, Keith's writing was one of the first things to go - got smaller and smaller and then he couldn't write at all. I expect, like me, you miss the conversations. . .
|Keith would want to be in his workshop and now he is. I've had another gardening day, managing to mow the lawn and strim the edge and round the path. We've got loads of elderberries still round here as my neighbour bought a bag back when walking her daughter's dog. Just back from my WI meeting, interesting talk about the Wheeldon family who plotted to kill Lloyd George in WW1. I've also signed up to do a stint helping to sell poppies in Morrisons. Take care. Xx
ReplyDeleteYes, absolutely. I am looking at my garden and now it is a bit cooler must get out and have a tidy up - dead head roses at least so I have some blooms forming to carry on into autumn. Loads of Elderberries is good! Have you ever made Pontack sauce? You have to lay it down like a good wine, for 7 years before its at its best!!
DeleteWell I never knew that anyone plotted to kill Lloyd George! Bet that was an interesting talk. Good on you for signing up to sell poppies.
September here hasn't brought any easing of heat and drought--just more temps in the 90's F. We are 'over' summer!
ReplyDeleteApparently we are due yet another heatwave this month - hot this blardy weekend in fact, which could be good for trade at the Antiques Fair. Rain is NOT good for trade, we know that much! Like you, I am totally "done" with summer.
DeleteTouch is important for connection. I can just see you rubbing your dust covered hand over the bench. The first thing I did when my dear mother in law died was to lay my hand on a piece of her needlework. It was so comforting. Now you've motivated me to find a x-stitch ornament book.
ReplyDeleteIt is, and I would touch the wicker basket with Keith's ashes every night and say goodnight to him.
ReplyDeleteI hope you will enjoy choosing and starting work on a x-stitch ornament. I messed up mine completely so will start again!
Glad you got a good sleep - I almost feel like high-fiving myself when I get in a long stretch of hours like that :). I love that you did that with the ashy dust and Keith's workbench...deeply meaningful. Those cross-stitch patterns look fantastic...and ornaments are a perfectly sized project (for me, anyway, who loses interest too quickly!). I adore that little lemon squeezer! ~ melanie xo ps. I really enjoyed the Jack the Ripper episodes on TRIH...especially as they gave life and context to the victims.
ReplyDeleteYes, ornaments much more doable than big complicated patterns. I think the lemon squeezer will fly out. Finished Jack the Ripper today and just ordered The Five for middle daughter for Christmas as she is into true crime and wishes she had read criminal pathology at Uni now!!
DeleteI love what you did with the ashes on your hand. Transferring them to the workbench is just perfect. xx
ReplyDeleteYes, an inspired moment.
Delete