Pages

Pages

Jennie's recipes

Saturday, 12 September 2026

Well that was a disappointment

 I arranged to meet up with Pam to go to the talk together.  I set off at the appropriate time, but found the car park packed - rugby practice on the Groe, folk for the talk and folk boozing up the town.  Found a place nearby but then discovered that the talk was over-supported and there was limited standing room only.  (I didn't know they had that many members!) NO WAY was I going to stand for two hours.  A hot fug of breath and warm people hit me at the door too, which boded ill if anyone had a cold!  So as soon as Pam arrived, we agreed to go for a drink instead.  It made a pleasant change, though my left ear is a little deaf/full of wax, whichever, and the background noise (din at times, as lots of young lads in the pub) made conversation difficult.  I can't remember the last time I went out for a drink of an evening, so it was a novelty!


From yesterday's walk - nice and level!  Just what my lower back requires.


Guelder rose berries.


It's a good year for Blackberries.  My freezer is full now though.





Sloes too - a shame I can't reach them.


As Tam and Rosie are here later, I had best do my walk sooner rather than later.  My back should hopefully ease up then too.

Enjoy your weekend.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry you missed your talk but it is always nice to go for a drink and a chat with a friend. I had to have my ears micro suctioned recently to remove wax and last week went for a hearing test and now have hearing aids which I am not getting on with!!!! I hope your lower back is better soon. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, how things have changed. I remember my mum buying this wee bottle of Olive Oil from the chemists to put in, then the nurse would swill them out with water to remove the wax. I suspect I need a hearing aid in my left ear, but it is on hold . . . Back worse today - probably from watering round at my neighbour's whilst he is away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a very nice alternative evening out. Even if you can't talk, and hear, too much just pleasant company and a bit of people watching is a very pleasant way to spend some time isn't it. I hope your back is feeling a bit better today. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you turned your evening round and went to the pub instead of giving up and going home. I like to go to a pub for lunch occasionally but, as lovely as it is to hear young people having fun, they aren't for me at night. I like to hear myself think! May I ask for some local knowledge please? I would very much like to pick a few blackberries for the freezer but can't seem to find any or very few anyway, so I have left those few for the birds. I'm probably looking in all the wrong places! Do you know of some decent blackberries within walking distance of Llandod or the bus exchange at the Groe please? I don't drive so need somewhere I can access on foot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Tam - head to Builth on the bus. If you take Asda garage/shop and Gregg's opposite, garage and then Rob's 2nd hand place as a reference, just before you cross the bridge into Builth if on bus. Take the track that goes to Jewsons at the back of Rob's 2nd hand shop, and carry on along the tarmac path to the side of Jewson's (there's a gate to stop cars but open at side for pedestrians). Follow that up for a couple of hundred yards and there is a gate and small gate that leads into the meadow beside the river. Tarmac path still (it's the old railway line route, now a cycle/walking track) . Walk up there for about 3/4 mile and LOADS of blackberries. Enjoy!!! I hope that makes sense.

      Delete