Not a lot. Cheap things for the little Fair where they have deep pockets and short arms. I stopped at the Railway Line garden centre on the way home, so I could look for a Fuschia to replace Pam's which I managed to finish off (falling apples had broken off two branches). I trod on the last and broke it off at the roots. I also bought myself a pack of 6 beautiful autumn Cyclamens to help dress my stand at the little Fair. Three of them will look lovely in the French copper fish kettle I have.
This has been voted not just the best Garden Centre in Wales, but the best in the UK (Supreme Award given by the Garden Centre Association). It isn't that cheap, but not the priciest either (that award probably goes to one the other side of Hereford that I stopped at - just the once - and saw clematis which normally sell elsewhere for £14.99 at most, £7 dearer!!
Temptation beyond endurance!!!
Speaking to a friend who was in one of the Front Buildings at Builth and she had a dreadful time with few sales as people looking in the door, seeing it half empty, and walking away. She is thinking about slumming it in the back sheds next time . . .
This is for my collection of old and obscure bits. This has an open tongue layer, to stop a horse getting its tongue over the bit (that doesn't help control!)
This spoke to me - simple design, but no maker's mark on the bottom. WIll hopefully appeal to the modern home owner.
Three porcelain cats, German, marked 1885. The exact thing on Worthpoint, but you have to pay a chunk to join that.
A Victorian/early 20th C Dairy cream skimmer.
A couple of other things came back with me but as I said, nothing really appealed or was the right price.
I need to go out for a short walk now to keep my hip mobile. That said, the sofa is already beckoning . . .







I had dreams of making clotted cream which would have needed that cream skimmer but that was before I knew goats milk was naturally homogenised -Duh!
ReplyDeleteThe chair is cute - would it originally have had longer legs?
I've just had a look. Perhaps, before it's present incarnation in grey, as there's a little grey paint on the bottom of the legs. A good few years ago though.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know that about goat's milk.
Glad you identified the cream-skimmer...I would've guessed a strange sort of candle holder :). Great bit, too...we have a handful of antique bits lying about, too, can never pass one by. The little doll's/teddy's chair is gorgeous..just the sort of thing my eldest would've loved as a child. ~melanie
ReplyDeleteYes, it does look a bit like a candle holder.
ReplyDeleteI have always collected bits - I used to lecture with them at Pony Club. Then I had a big clear out and some special ones went to a collector I know. Gosh - her collection was an inherited one and absolutely amazing.
Interesting buys--very specific to your personal taste. The chair looks like it got shortened, but still cool. I have a skimmer like that, never knew what it was--I wondered bec if it was a cider or soup foa skimmer it would be long handled. It came in a group of an 1885-ish tiny autograph book and a glass float, for like $3.oo. The outside/ other stalls were interesting. There s a young woman on IG who just started selling on Vinted--she rummages thru those messy bins, finds knick knacks for a few pounds, seems to be selling a LOT. But is it worth her time and effort, i'm not sure.. Low prices seems to be the key so far.
ReplyDeleteI looked and looked at that first pic, "what IS that?" , was baffled. Is it an old vehicle?
Lots to look at, thanks for posting fair pics.
lizzy
The first pic is a mock-up of an old vehicle - Landrover type I guess. They dress it up according to the season.
DeleteSome skimmers have handles, but this sort is the type I am familiar with, where you have more control over your skimming the cream off the milk.
What you bought is lovely. A teddy would look good sitting in the chair. Will you repaint or make a little cushion for it. Hope your hip recovers. Xx
ReplyDeleteI can make a little cushion easily. I will try and find a wee teddy in the charity shops next week. My hip is easier - no painkillers for a few days now and I managed to do a bit of gardening today.
DeleteThe Vinted seller on IG, if interested. She is in UK, Derbyshire maybe? https://www.instagram.com/p/Dda_6-LEXbj/?img_index=1
ReplyDeleteThanks for that link Lizzy - will go check her out.
ReplyDeleteHmmm - not things I would bother looking for/listing/selling I don't think, but if she is making money, all well and good.
ReplyDelete