Monday, 7 September 2026

The cost of living

 Somehow, I managed to unpack the car this morning.  I took two Panadol before I started, to ease my aching back and other sore body parts . . .  I managed it on my own, as although I asked for help with the tables, but no reply to my text so I carried on . . .  The Panadols have now well and truly worn off and I can't wait to get to bed tonight.

You might just make out a Thrush who was enjoying the Blackberries in my hedge.

I had a Greggs breakfast in the car - a sausage roll.  I'm glad they don't state the ingredients or I would probably never eat anything from there again!  I also had a can of Diet Coke to stop me falling asleep over my trolley in Tesco.

I bought some more things for the storecupboard.  Jane (Frugal Queen in France) was suggesting that plum tomatoes were a better buy than already chopped ones as there was more of the product in the tin and less juice.  I thought I would try it and see - they are the same price anyway.  I bought 4 tins, and another pack of Passata and Tomato Puree with red wine in.  I was going to buy a small can of Corned Beef for the store cupboard - to eat if no electricity to cook with - but they were £4.05 in Tesco - clearly the new haute cuisine!  They are half that price in Aldi . . .  I was only in Tesco because I had 8 things on my shopping list and I was feeling wiped out and not up to going to Aldi as well, but of course you know it's difficult to stick hard and fast to the list and I ended up with more but the meat I bought (2 gammon steaks, a small pack of good (5%) mince and two Tesco steak pies) will do more than a week's worth of meals and I bought 8 various tins for the storecupboard, and replaced an empty Ground Nutmeg and running low on Ground Ginger (x 2 there).  Cat bics that I use on special offer two, two for £8, and Twinings Earl Grey teabags also on offer, so two of those to stock up as I was down to my last pack.

I also bought a new winter sheet for my bed, brushed cotton, which is already washed and drying in the top hall.  It replaces one which has never really been deep enough and has now got saggy elastic stopping it from being a proper fitted sheet.  It was £15, which boosted my bill, but needs must.

I am now absolutely on my hunkers and the thought of getting my hotty botty made up and warming my feet is very attractive.  I have an electric blanket but don't use that until the depths of winter or the mattress gets too hot.

Reading: JD Kirk: Better the Devil (excellent! although it was making me lol at the Fair!).

Today's Podcast: Fairies, from the Three Ravens folklore podcasts.



20 comments:

  1. I've started buying 'proper' mince from a butcher's as the last supermarket lot I had was awful. Tasted ok, but it cooked down like wallpaper paste, so bit the bullet and bought some beautiful steak mince - not cheap, but the taste was completely different. I just use less meat now in any case. Do hope your aching back, arms, legs will be better with a rest overnight. My back is complaining as we had Baby Chris and Iris for a couple of hours and all he wants to do is walk, Iris is no problem, then I came home and mowed the lawn as the forecast is not good. Hugs. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tesco steak mince is 5% fat, and tastes ok. I hate the look of the shrink wrapped alternative in Aldi. Our butcher was charging nearly £12 a kilo when I last bought mince there some 18 mths ago. Will see what he's charging now. I buy less meat too, but the gammon steaks were on an offer I think, and I can't remember when I last had one. I usually cook half up with rice and veg and tomatoes which is very tasty.

      Middle of the night now and some bits are still aching. I know what you mean about Chris suddenly in walking mode - you have your work cut out!

      Delete
  2. The JD KIk is next on my reading list after the curent, silly but ok ''cozy'' series I m now reading. I hope it make me laugh too!
    You're amazing, to do so much then grocery shop also. Enjoy a well deserved nap/ rest/ sleep. I can't imagine needed a hot water bottle, it is intense sun here and hot of course. The view of the thrush in the roses is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say, JD Kirk does a very imaginitive take on swearing in some of his books!! Anything that puts a smile on your face is worth reading though.

      The temps have dropped here a bit now - I would probably be ok without my hotty botty but my feet get cold in the evening and they need to be warm so I can sleep.

      Sitting in the living room yesterday, I saw a Black Cap and a couple of Chiff Chaffs foraging in the bushes on the bank. A joy to watch them.

      Delete
  3. I hope you've been resting after such a busy day. The view through your window is lovely. Those yellow roses are gorgeous. Zooming in I could see the thrush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty well, but not as much as I would have liked. The roses are ones which grew in a pathetic way in tubs (left by previous owners) - once planted in the ground, fed etc, they have grown tall and flower all summer long.

      Delete
  4. I seem to pop down to Greggs there quite often to get one when we arrive at Fforest Fields though I think I’d have gone for a bacon butty for breakfast. Thought you might have used the Co-op in town, I do on occasion though Tesco has so much more. When I first started going to Builth there was only the Spa and nearest Tesco was Newtown or it might have been Sainsbury’s. It was a while before we realised about Morrisons. Builth seems in the middle of them all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only use Co-op in emergencies as it is SO expensive - it even makes Tesco look cheap! Sometimes I have a change from Llandod and go to Brecon for a drive out, shop at Aldi and stuff I can't get there (e.g. Earl Grey teabags and cat food my cats will eat) I go to Morrisons for or wait until next trip to Llandod.

      Delete
  5. I used to be an avid Tesco shopper, back in the day of skintdom. Luckily we have an Aldi right next to it, so I spend my pennies in there. I have put a second duvet on my bed now that we are approaching winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my summer weight duvt on with a thin hexagon patchwork quilt covering it. I do have a real heavy duty down duvet which Gabby bought me for Christmas a couple of years back, but that is saved for when the temps are very low/we have snow. Otherwise I roast!

      Delete
    2. Lidl and Tesco are either side of the main railway line in Llandod. . . so it's a trip up the High Street and 3 charity shops to check out.

      Delete
  6. As in your answer to the comment above I currently have had my Summer weight duvet and a lightweight patchwork quilt on the bed too, but I decided this morning that today is changeover day. I hope the aches fade away soon for you. Oh, and I switched to plum tomatoes rather than chopped a while ago, it makes a big difference. I'll be interested to see what you think. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just change the weight of the patchwork quilt for a heavier one, until we have snow or it's around freezing temperature wise. Aches need to be walked off I think, so just going down to the Library and then a walk around the Groe. I will report on the plum tomatoes when used.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have Tesco, Aldi and M&S Food all together in our little shopping centre,. I've certainly seen the prices of all beef products shoot up over the last few months in all of these. We also have two Greggs (one a concession in Tesco) and a Costa Coffee, so we are well provided there.
    I must admit, I find it hard to resist a Greggs ploughman's and coffee, or even sometimes their sausage, bean and cheese melt, and I rather fancy their new steak and stilton bake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, it would be nice to have a little M&S Food in these parts, for when I want a really nice stir fry or a special treat. Nearest M&S are Carmarthen, Aberystwyth, Hereford and Merthyr though.

      I saw the steak and stilton bake. I have their steak bake sometimes and that hits the spot.

      Delete
  9. I loved seeing the thrush, we don’t see them much here. Sorry you are feeling so tired and achy at the moment
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two things we definitely can't allow to run out--cat kibble and tea bags! Do you know the name of your yellow rose? I have David Austin's 'The Poet's Wife' which is now, in spite of heat and drought, putting out a second round of bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, but it will be one of the £9.99 type from a garden centre, Golden somethingorother! It may not be a David Austin but it and its friend a few feet along, flower all summer long, right up till Chritmas if I keep dead heading. MY DA roses have continued blooming too, which amazes me, but some are better than others. I don't have The Poet's Wife.

    Yes, will get in more cat kibble, just in case . . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow corned beef in a can? we most buy it here as meat packaged up in the butchery section. Sounds like bed is the best place to be when you're not feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, canned corned beef a storecupboard standby. You can buy trays of slices too, but obviously have to eat those straight away. Exercise is apparently the best thing for my lower back problem. Keep moving . . .

      Delete