Sunday, 27 September 2026

St Thomas' Church, St Dogmaels and the Sagranus Stone

 





I have to say the attitude of this ancient stone has not improved since I last visited, and it has a distinctly unpleasant vibe.  We were last there in 2018. 


A 9th - 10th C cross stem.


A lightly engraved Maltese Cross design on this early Christian monument, which dates back to 9th - 10th C.


Nearly all the memorials to local men (mariners) in the church, attested death by drowning . . .  They sailed very dangerous seas.  Cardigan was once an incredibly busy port. 


Pensacola is in Florida.


 




One of the many headstones outside testifying more mariner deaths at sea.  


Someone was a dab hand with this patchwork wallhanging of the Three Wise Men.


A general view of the church interior.


A beautiful painted Reredos above the alter.




A more modern take on Biblical stories in this stained glass window.


Finally, the font.

Outside are the remains of St Dogmael's Abbey, which must have been stunning before the Dissolution of the Monasteries.  Henry VIII had a lot to answer for.






Our kids used to love wobbling along the top of these walls.



Here you go, Sue in Suffolk.  The lovely old Mill.  Rose has had a good pruning though.

This was taken in 2014.


That teeny tiny window on the cottage beside the Mill.

And again, in 2014 . . .


I hope you have had a pleasant weekend.

10 comments:

  1. I love walking round churches and graveyards reading all the names and wondering what their lives were like. We have a lot of churches here in Belper, ranging from C of E, Catholic, Methodist, Wesleyan, Congregational and even Spiritual. All caught up with the washing, but as it rained, no outside jobs got done. Watching Countryfile then Antiques Roadshow which my Dad loved. Take care. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice interesting church though not one I will get to I fear unless I am up that way. Those stones are amazing considering how old they are

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating church and yard. The Ogham script is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pictures and information you give all of us for your visits to the various churches and the ruins of various monasteries or other church buildings. Yes, the reformation and Henry the VIII have a great deal to be responsible for.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never seen a font like that before! I enjoy seeing your churches there. No matter how small they are, they seem so grand!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the photos.The stones are amazing - lovely to see Ogham in use and not just in theory.

    Colin always fancied buying an old watermill which is probably why we would have visited when we were there. I think I remember standing by the wheel watching the rushing water.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sorry to have missed this church. At the end of a long hot day finishing the PCP we reached St Dogmaels and still had to walk back to Moylgrove.
    Funny how some places have such strong auras. The Stone is an amazing survivor but I wonder why it has unpleasant vibes.
    In contrast the modern window is just glorious but why an eagle? at the top instead of the usual dove?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the extra photos of the very interesting church and the ruins of the abbey look well worth a visit too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A good outing even if you did meet the malevolent stone again. It is very striking that most churches have had craftwork whether stone, glass or wood lavished on them, they are truly centres of a creative and often beautiful expression of art.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete