Wednesday, 9 September 2026

"You'll do yourself a mischief" . . .

 . . . was an expression my mum used.  This past weekend she was right, as in taking the tables out of the car and putting them into the workshop, I did just that.  My right Sacro Iliac and I fell out . . .  By yesterday I was yelling with pain if I sat too long or when I stood up.  No painkiller helped, nor Ibuprofen gel, and although walking did ease it, hot compresses were the only thing bringing relief.  Then last night I could suddenly hear Keith's voice saying to go and get a bag of peas which is what he would have told me to do when this has happened in the past.  That I did, and indeed it did help.  This morning I phoned my chiropractor and managed to get a cancelled appt for tomorrow afternoon.  A little while later and the receptionist phoned again saying someone else had cancelled this afternoon, could I make that appt.  You bet I could!  I put the few things I had been taking to change round at the Unit in the car and drove down there.  Amazingly the car seat supported my lower back well and it was a virtually pain-free journey, apart from when I stopped at Llandovery for a chocolate bar and the treat of a Heartsease Raspberry drink.   So I have had the first of two treatments.  It is pretty inflamed, so I have to alternately cold and then hot compress it for 20 minutes each, 3 times a day.  I have exercises to do as well - just like yoga ones.  Walking for 30 - 45 mins on the flat too, so I will walk the railway line.

I had a walk around Matalan to kill time and spotted this autumnal duvet set.  I have a soft spot for Fungi, but stayed my hand!  However, I did buy another fitted sheet, this time in pale green, which will go nicely with the gorgeous bedlinen I have just received from my dear friend D.  An early Christmas present - checkmate for the early birthday present I sent her!!

I had an idea when I was sat in the car eating my lunch today.  The tables are the problem with doing the big Fair.  Right, best idea to sell them and buy lightweight ones.  Problem solved.  Oh, and clearing the old stock too. . .  Some is going to the best charity shop in Llandod.  (Bracken Trust).

Tomorrow I have an early appointment for an overlooked Blood Test.  Lass didn't know what it was for but probably something to do with my  blood thinners.  


Yesterday's choice from the Library.

I watched some of my favourite Azerbaijan programme yesterday - she had a mountain of Sweet Red Peppers and was bottling some on their own, others with ridge size cucumbers. others stuffed with mince for a meal etc.  Such a restful programme to watch.

Today's podcasts: Last of the Fairies from The Three Ravens; In Our Time - Nefertiti; The Rest is History - Franklin - Revenge of the American Genius.

Reading: Death in a Desert Land by Andrew Wilson.


9 comments:

  1. Ouch! Re: your back...glad you got to the chiropractor sooner rather than later. And yes, those tables must go! I, too, have a soft spot for fungi, I would've been sorely tempted by that duvet set :). I was so intrigued by the book you were reading a short while ago -- Running For the Hills -- that I managed to find a secondhand copy and it just arrived today. I have quite a few of those types of books...I'm living vicariously through other people, it seems :) I also find that youtube channel so very restful...I like that it's just the ambient sounds of the chickens and jobs being done rather than music. ~ melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had it not been brown . . . Wouldn't go in any of my bedrooms, colour-wise. I think you will enjoy Running for the Hills, though it was hard not to be judgemental . . . I think her son was not totally happy with his mother's decision to live there once his father had left. Let me know what you think.

      There's a word to describe that sort of restful video. Rosie likes it too, because of all the animals, although we have to look at the bunnies and realize they are for the pot at some point!

      My back is very cross with me today for being joggled back into place yesterday but at least my legs are the same length again . . .

      Delete
  2. Oh NO! I knew you were doing too much w those heavy tables. You didn't lift them years ago when you were young and strong, sorry don't mean to be mean or agist, but you're not thirty--plus Keith did the heavy lifting. I often now that I live alone [no one to judge me] don't do things I could do--bec I weigh the aftermath. Yesterday I did a garden clean up and you know how tiny my pots / garden are. I woke up in the night and hurt all over, pls a migraine from the intense sun/ heat. I have the autoimmune disease that limits me--my ex husband always called me a slacker. Now I just do the best I can.
    I LOVE the toadstool bed linens, how adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lizzy, so did I, but needs must. Can't travel everywhere with them permanently in the back of the car, when they are only used twice a year! My inspired decision to sell them and buy lighter tables is a good 'un. The trouble is, winter means I am not lifting things or gardening and of course, every spring now I am in my 70s, muscles get weaker. Must do weightlifting or something!!

      What a shame your husband didn't understand your medical problems. One to leave at the side of the road I reckon!!

      Delete
  3. I just have to tell you about my experience a couple of days ago. I was paying for an item in a small shop and I said to the young woman serving me where are you from Wales she said I asked where abouts in Wales Swansea she answered. With heart beating I said my family are from Ynyshir in the Rhondda, Oh she said my boyfriend is from there and my friend is from Tonypandy, heart really beating now I said when I was about 16 I went to a Saturday night rock and roll dance there, I'm 80 now. She said Ynyshir hasn't changed a bit you would still know it. It really made my day I just about skipped out of the shop, well I might be getting a bit carried away now, but it was lovely.
    I hope you will soon be feeling better. Shirley in OZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you have injured yourself. My Husband and I used to sell antiques at fairs a few years ago and I recall oh so well the sheer hard work of loading/unloading the car, setting up, dismantling everything reloading the car again and then unpacking it all once home. In all weather's and often for hardly any financial gain and some times even a loss. That was two of us so I can appreciate how hard it must be on your own. I hope your back is soon better. We gave up selling the antiques, my Husband has severe back problems and we just couldn't manage and had also found less and less people were buying. Fortunately one of our fellow antique seller friends bought all our remaining stock and stands etc. We were so lucky and I must say I have not missed it all. Take care Sue H

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, doing shows entails a lot of weight lifting, our stock is rocks minerals and fossils.We used to take a folding metal trolley with us. When we reached 80. lifting this into our van,was becoming more of a problem, so we purchased a folding 'pram' ,the type that festival goers use to carry there gear, thus has bigger wheels is light, copes over rough ground,folds small for packing. this worked well for us and carried heavy weights and we could fill it ,then balance larger items on top. It worked well for us. Now sadly, since my husband died last year, shows are no longer possible. I really miss not doing them and all the friends we made over the 50 years we did the shows. One other thing, after struggling at first,with the weight involved, I have now become much stronger than when I was younger. I have learned to how best to lift things, without hurting myself---well most of the time.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness sake you had me worried. What on earth was a sacro lliac? back pain, which I trust will get better with or without frozen peas. Good idea to get light tables. You Tube has such an assortment of good stuff, that one could stay on it all day listening to others interpret the world for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch and more ouch. Thank goodness for chiro to put you right again. Lighter tables sound a good plan.

    ReplyDelete