Thursday, 8 October 2026

Being crafty . . .

 


I had a really lovely afternoon at my patchwork group yesterday.  Alex had finished the long arm quilting on "Heatwave".  Doesn't it look gorgeous?  I dutifully measured and cut out the binding and amidst chatting and laughing, sewed 3 sides of it in place.  I will get the rest cut and joined today.  Then will follow the slip-stitching on the back and there are a lot of ends to sew in on the quilting, as Alex had to do it in three goes as she had private quilting jobs to do.  We just pay her for the thread used.  I think it's turned out really well.

It was a lovely drive there and back too.  A lovely sunny autumn day, that quickly cooled when the sun went down. 9 deg C in the evening and 6 deg now at 1.30 a.m.  I woke for the loo, but then my brain was busy and I couldn't get back to sleep.

I have almost finished my Christmas shopping now, having taken advantage of Amazon Prime's deals.  I'm glad that is done in good time, as the car has it's MoT just before Christmas, but I have hopefully enough money put on one side to cover that.  

Rosie more comfortable now she has meds to help her, but Tam is still struggling to get her to take them.  The antibiotics are 5 times a day too.  Sadly Rosie's arthritis has flared up again, but the Paedeatric Rheumatology dept has brought her appt. forward and she will see them tomorrow.


This is a Pale Tussock Moth caterpillar.  He has a little red spike on his bottom, to frighten predators off. He was crossing the road, but I helped him across and onto the opposite bank before he got squished by a passing car.


Rain in the offing . . .




Glyn was here to do the autumn tidy up for me in the paddock, along the primrose bank and the bottom triangle.  The lawn has grown terrifically - it was only cut last week! - so that will need doing again soon.

I watched the final of the Great Pottery Throwdown last night.  What talented potters, all with great skill and imagination.  Then another episode of Magpie Murders.

Today's podcasts were 1 of 4 about Joan of Arc.  I will probably miss the other 3 as they were very detailed in background.  Then a couple from Time Team, which I really enjoyed.

I shall read for a bit now and hope my brain will unravel a bit.

18 comments:

  1. Those dark skies look really low and threatening.
    I've never seen a caterpillar like that before - a weird one for sure.
    Hope Rosie is better soon - what a worry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was several hours before we had rain though, overnight. I think I have seen a.n.other in my years in Wales.

      Yes, it is such a worry. Tam has painkillers for her which of course help. Praying that this isn't a lifelong thing.

      Delete
  2. your quilting looks amazing. I did not go much on the prime deals, they are the same ones that come up from time to time, I doubt Black Friday will be much different. I took dome photos of Ivy Bees which I sent to another guy I know, here they are https://cholseywildlife.blogspot.com/2026/10/ivy-bees.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabby wanted several books which were on a special deal. Tam needed an Air Fryer so got her Christmas money in advance. Off to check out the Ivy Bees. Many thanks for the link. I like to learn about wildlife.

      Delete
  3. Poor little mite. What a thing to put up with at such a young age.
    The quilt looks fab!
    The caterpillar has an early nineties 'Really Wild Show' Chris Packham hairdo look to it. I would be smiling all day if I had come across that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's such a worry. I hate to see her in pain and she's had quite a week of it with the Staph infection, and a really sore spot on her leg where the nappy has rubbed. She's had to go back into nappies temporarily to stop her scratching the Staph infection.

      I'm really pleased with the quilt. The catarpillar was a great find too. Loved your analogy!

      Delete
  4. Your quilt looks wonderful. What a glorious caterpillar, I have never seen one before. I hope Rosie is soon better bless her. It is so hard when children are poorly, that is good the Rheumatoligists have brought her appointment forward. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shall finish one curtain before cracking on with the quilt tomorrow. I may sit and sew ends in this afternoon though as I have absolutely ZERO energy. I just forced myself to make the bed up fresh but it was really FORCE. I hope Rosie is back to her normal self soon. She has really been awkward about having her medicines . . . The Rheumatologist dept have been very prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilt is gorgeous, how satisfying it must be to create something both useful and beautiful. So sorry to read of poor Rosie, it's heartbreaking as a parent/grandparent to see little ones suffering. I don't know if it would help but after a lot of pain and inflammation in my shoulders ( osteoarthritis) for 10 years I gave up all dairy, milk cheese, butter, cream the lot. Any product, biscuit etc with dairy in was a no no. Within a week I had no more inflammation and the pain was virtually non existent. Over 8 years later I am still feeling the same benefits. Off now to look up Ivy bees, every day is a school day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At the moment, she is such a fussy eater, that they count anything eaten as a positive, so can't cut dairy out yet as that would really hit her calorie intake. Glad that it worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I am so sorry to hear that little Rosie is having a tough time again, I hope things can be sorted out for her.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that stops to help little creatures on roads and paths. Many a time we are walking along and talking, and I have to bend down to relocate a worm to a safer place than drying out on the path, and Alan just stops and says 'Worm?' and then we carry on.
    Your quilt is beautiful. It may not be very Wintery colours, but wouldn't it be a highlight of the bedroom during these dark nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worry of it has brought me quite low. I am down in the dumps today. We'll see what the Rheumatologist says tomorrow.

      The quilt is a housewarming gift for Danny and Emma, and her favourite colour is pink.

      Delete
  9. Your quilt is gorgeous! The fabric for the color patches go together beautifully and the quilting is lovely. I hope Rosie feels better soon. Poor girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Alex chose a really lovely design for the long arm quilter to execute.

      Rosie's rash is healing now, but she wouldn't eat today and can't have her painkillers for her arthritis without food.

      Delete
  10. A beautiful quilt, the colours really zing. Poor Rosie, she is suffering and probably not old enough to understand what is happening. We had Christopher for a few hours today, fortunately he's a good eater and wolfed down pasta, then a very small blueberry muffin and some veggie sticks. For some reason he was having a I'm off Grandad day, so I got him all the time, and Sheva left home. We had a Tussock Moth last week crawling over the garden furniture, so I relocated it to the Hebe. Off for my Covid jab tomorrow. Take care. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, right now she just knows that she itches/hurts and mummy is trying to give her medicine so many times in the day (twice for painkillers for arthritis and 5 times for the anti-biotics).

      I wonder what grandad has done for Christopher to not want to know him?!!

      Tussock Moths look very ordinary, in comparison with their glad rags as a caterpillar.

      Delete
    2. He's having an anti-man stage at the moment, but he is living in a house of women. The only other male there is Parkin cat and he's a bit of a wimp. Xx

      Delete
  11. We have seen similar caterpillars here, although the barbs or spines on them can produce an immediate and painful rash if they are handled.
    I love the machine quilting on 'Heat Wave'--its the type of finish that several of the long-arm quilters in Wyoming could do 'free hand.'
    Poor Rosie. Day care and pre-school venues are perpetually full of germs that are readily passed around.

    ReplyDelete