First off, I forgot to mention I was very glad to see that Blogger has finally pulled it's finger out and sorted the blog postings so we are back to as it should be.
The heading reflects what was truly the choice this week, as with the price of diesel up to £2 a litre, and all my journeys long ones - two to Tam in this past week, at around £20 a time, Llandeilo tomorrow for the fair, that's 38 miles each way; the Unit last week 70 miles each way, which is why I tacked on the extra bit to go on to St Dogmaels rather than have a separate day out in the opposite direction. I haven't been to do a proper grocery shop, just picked up a couple of things I needed at Co-op - and I try not to shop at Co-op if I can. Yesterday I had to buy a pint of milk (remains of last pint were a week out of date) and I bought bananas to go with my granola. I had wanted raspberries to make the plain yoghurt I also bought, but at £2.50 for about 4 oz, I wasn't doing that. Today I need a couple of bread rolls for lunch at the Fair tomorrow. I shall use chicken as the filling, and some salad. I have two bananas a bit too ripe for me to enjoy so they will go into Chocolate Banana Muffins.
Food prices are getting ridiculous. I was happy to pay £4 for 6 large cod fish fingers at Tesco's but those have now shot up to £4.75. I have Kedgeree regularly, but smoked cod has now gone up from around £4.50 to £6.50 - that is a BIG hit. Simple cans of soup - I can remember paying just 60p for Batchelors condensed chicken soup for pies - probably 8 yrs ago say. It is now £1.50 a tin. Ordinary soup, the good Heinz sort, is £1.59 a tin, or 5 for £5, which shows you the profit margin. I invested in five tins last time I went shopping as I don't always want to make a vat of soup at home and eat it every day for a week! I can still afford 2 raw chicken breast portions at £2.67 and make them go a long way. I don't often buy salmon portions, but when did a smallish (212g) tin of salmon become £3.80? Corned beef used to be something I bought regularly for Keith, who liked corned beef hash (pass, not for me). It was a cheap meal but now at £3.50 a tin - and I saw a small tin at £4.10 in Tesco recently - it's becoming haute cuisine! Even the loathed Spam from childhood is £3.50 a tin.
The humble potato, reinvented in crisp form, has to show the best profit margins out there, retailing at £2.50 a bag for what is probably not much more than one large potato. Very few packets are cheaper unless on an offer. I buy peanuts at 59p a bag. More protein.
So, for the past couple of weeks I have been living largely out of the freezer and storecupboard, and the chicken I roasted on Monday has done 3 meals so far, a whole breast left, and carcase for soup, and 3 portions of curry with veg in the fridge. 2 will be frozen.
This is why I try and buy most of my groceries in Aldi, and only things like Twinings Earl Grey teabags, cat food, etc in Tesco's. Basically anything I need that Aldi don't stock. Easy to be led astray though.
I have apples from my trees now, and have been given a goodly supply of cooking apples to store. In the freezer, I have blackberries and elderberries which were free. Soft fruit off the menu now unless I buy a bag of frozen, which go a long way. I had several small cucumbers from the polytunnel this week and a bag of the yellow cherry tomatoes which have been frozen (toms not cucumbers :)
Eggs, I use mainly for baking, and they are £1.85 or so for 6 medium free range eggs. I prefer the ones from the butchers (Clun eggs).
I am fortunate to have a full freezer and well stocked storecupboard to fall back when leaner times hit. Once I am out of the Unit, there is only one more Fair this year, and I won't be going much further than Llandod. Time to blow the dust off my bus pass if I fancy going out somewhere - though the destinations not terrifically exciting. Will have to see if I can get to Cardiff in reasonable time to meet up with Gabby/go to the Museum and Art Gallery. They changed the T bus time table which could get you to Cardiff, and then there was a lengthy break at Merthyr which made people travelling for work pretty put out. I will perhaps have an outing on the Heart of Wales line train as that is free with my bus pass, over the winter months.
Sorry, woffling now. Got lots done yesterday but my back complaining after I loaded several boxes of china into the car . . . I will have to be careful today.
Update: All loaded. I have decided to part with my lovely Arts and Crafts mirror as there is nowhere to hang it here. I hope someone falls in love with it as we did. I have really lost the enjoyment for Fairs right now. The thought of getting up at 5.30 tomorrow doesn't thrill me either.


Food prices have really shot up; here it is even worse as we have to pay a premium due to everything in the supermarket being shipped across. Mind you, shopping local isn't cheap - 6 eggs from the stall at the local farmers' market cost £2.75!
ReplyDeleteThis is what my dear friend Rosie in NZ says - so many imports = higher prices. Our prices seem cheap in comparison, I was quite shocked at NZ prices. No ALdi or Lidl out there. Two grocery companies have it carved up between them . . .
ReplyDeleteI would hope those were Gold Standard eggs at that price. I have found Farmers' Markets very expensive here. Nearest one would probably be at Hay-on-Wye but strictly speaking that is a general market but with artisan produce. £5 a loaf of sourdough etc . . .
I stopped buying eggs at the farm gate over the summer as they are sitting in a hot wooden 'cupboard' for who knows how long , they were £1.25 probably more since, I don't go past anymore anyway.
ReplyDeleteI had a Book Fair in the diary for this weekend but it's the other side of Suffolk, so will give that a miss and prices are silly there - it's in a posh village! Save my diesel for just local boot sales
Oooh - NOT the place to put eggs for sale. There is a place at Llyswen that does the same.
DeleteI really do NOT want to do this Fair, but I am packed now and Sunday is a day of rest . . . Don't blame you for leaving the Book Fair. I have to give up my patchwork group after next week due to fuel prices. Won't go again till next spring.
I think we are all aghast at the price of food these days. My apologies for the role the orange dump we have in the White House plays in that. I just bought my groceries for the month and have spent over $200. That works out to be about £151.41. And I live alone. Some of that is extra to build up my stores for the holidays, but it is getting very expensive.
ReplyDeleteYes, he needs taking out . . . That's plenty enough for your groceries for one person. It's the things like washing powder/liquid, cleaning stuff, toothpaste, shampoo and conditioner that soon add up.
DeleteAgree with all your observations about the cost of food. We recently were able to bite the bullet and change our gas guzzling large car for a small electric one. It’s got a reasonable range and we can charge it using off peak electricity at night. I realise that power cuts would throw a spanner in the works but we’ll have to face that when it comes. Almost all of our driving is now local.
ReplyDeleteAlison in Devon x
Sensible. Where I live though, nothing is local. If I just shopped in oc-op, what I saved in fuel would go in their prices, and they don't have a great deal of choice either.
ReplyDeleteWhen this car finally bites the dust, I will go for a smaller petrol model.
I think the worse thing about the rise in food prices is remembering what they used to be years ago. I'm older than you so remember shillings and pence! I once wasted money driving around to find cat food cheaper! I bought what she liked anyway!
ReplyDeleteCo-op, not oc-op!!
ReplyDeleteOh, I feel you on the price of food! I've watched the prices steadily climb over the last year or so...when you tend to buy the same things week to week, you really do notice the difference, if not for the fact ones total grocery budget doesn't buy near as much as it used to! Funnily, I used to do the quick maths on UK to Canadian prices and for a long time it seemed you enjoyed far cheaper groceries than we do...now you're mostly on par or rocketing ahead of us. It's outrageous...I don't know how we're all managing. Fortunately (?!) I'm well-versed in living on a shoestring...my skills are coming in handy now! ~ melanie
ReplyDeleteI think it all changed for the worse during Covid - prices shot up and have never come down again. Where things might have been one or two pence dearer if there was an increase, it suddenly leapt to 25 pence and now a lot more.
DeleteI am considering using my tea bags twice, but not much savings there as I only have two cups of tea a day!!!
try the soup from m and s 60p a tin and lovely, cream of mushroom, cream of tomato and cream of chicken and a vegetable one i think, make sure you take the ones that are the 60p
ReplyDeleteAlthough I live in a semi-rural area we're lucky enough to have a bus which passes through this village and links to many places where you can get onward connections. We also have a bus which you can book via an app for other journeys. It would be worth anyone considering moving to check on local transport availability. Although I usually use my car for small trips into town etc., I will now take the bus whenever I can.
ReplyDeleteFood prices are shocking as is fuel. Do you have a B&M/Home Bargains anywhere near? They often do the condensed soup cheap and I always buy my Yorkshire Teabags there as a huge box is about £5.30. I'm trying to make meat stretch further, eating less of it and more veggies, but even they've gone up. Took Stepmum out to local garden centre for a wander and a cuppa today, its a Blue Diamond one so not cheap - a cyclamen was £6.99, it stayed on the table. I bought a card and 2 YS bottles of beer for OH. Hope your Fair is successful. Xx
ReplyDeleteI looked up some prices, my two protein standbys are eggs and cottage cheese, my afternoon snack w inexpensive local fresh raw veg: Remarkably same prices if I am converting correctly. I don't eat fish or seafood but I believe it is very expensive, despite living here on the coast. I do my list about twice a month [for free delivery/ +tip for health & parking reasons] and then I go back and remove anything I can do without. What often raises the bills are non-food items, shampoo, dish soap. One tea daily, tap water all other times. And there's the fat nasty politicians lavishly dining on filet mignon and lobster tails and french champagne. Just so wrong.
ReplyDeleteYes I noticed that Blogger was having more issues, it wasn't showing Blogs that I follow the dates of when they were being updated. Petrol and Diesel are very expensive here in NZ, Petrol went up 45 cent last week, we seem to be getting less for our dollar.
ReplyDelete