I saw the Consultant this morning, and he has put me on steroid eye drops because I have an infection in the oil gland(s?) inside the eyelid. This is week 9 . . . I recall that wonderful Spike Milligan epithet for his tombstone - "I told you I was ill"!!! He wasn't allowed it in English so had it in Irish Gaelic instead! It didn't improve until I had last week's antibiotics and still isn't fixed, so these drops should do it.
I had a good morning tieing up the grocery shopping in Llandod with my appointment, and have pretty well done a two week shop. Two chicken breasts, a small tray of 5% fat mince, stir fry veg and sauce, two smoked gammon steaks (several meals from all of those), and a big 120 Earl Grey teabags as it was on special offer (£1.40 off). More cat sachets too, as the little ratbags have suddenly started turning their noses up at Felix - and guess who bought an 80 pack of those last week!!
Two nice pieces of copper from the shop which is usually shut, and I treated myself to a new Codeword book as down to the last 25 in my current one, as well as an orange Sanpelligrino, as I was thirsty and that's my favourite cold drink.
I've just had a local walk but my heart rate for some reason was very high, so I cut it short.
I shan't be making Sloe Gin this year, that's for sure!
This was my indulgence for forcing myself to do the Fair on Saturday, when I really didn't want to. Plus finding I had a little bit of extra money in my card payments - except that still hasn't come through yet. I have to wait for delivery until the 14th Oct, as I think this is sent to Amazon from the States.
Now back to the curtain making . . .
Looks like rain is heading this way.
Today's podcasts was another one from Three Ravens, which was ending half of the Dorset podcast, then one about Unicorns from their Bestiary.





Hopefully your new eye drops will do the trick. Was the copper you bought ornaments? At least you managed to get a good amount of shopping in, so hopefully will save on fuel. We have just picked Iris up from school and she has done her homework, I told her to do it straightaway and its not hanging over her all week. Today is the first day I don't have a headache after the hygenist's visit on Friday, the top row of teef really ached too. Washing all dried and top cut off the lawn. Tomorrow I'm taking Stepmum to Lichfield to meet friends, so will have a wander while she natters - brownie points! Take care. Xx
ReplyDeleteCopper kitchenalia. I like kitchenalia. Sometimes other people do too!! Well done with getting Iris to do her homework straight away. Being NHS I get my teeth checked/filled etc but no hygienist.
DeleteI do admire all your patchwork. I love the idea of creating something out of scraps but can't think of any projects to do since making covers for the cushions on the sofa. You've reminded me to stir my sloe gin which is brewing nicely in a cupboard. Time to move it to the garage which will be cooler.
ReplyDeleteI make quilts for the family and lap throws as gifts. Curtains were needed and I had a good stash in the right colourway.
DeleteI'm glad you saw the consultant and he identified the problem otherwise it would have dragged on forever. Lovely to get yourself a few treats. I am about to attack two enormous Hubbard squash, chop, roast, vacuum pack and into the freezer. I will deserve a treat afterwards.
ReplyDeleteYou're right there. It is already feeling much better. Good luck with the Hubbard squash - you need a good knife to get through those.
DeleteIt must be a relief to be on the homeward stretch with your poor eye, these things can drag on and get you down. I know all about cats and their funny ways. My last cat would wolf down something one day as if she hadn't been fed for a month and the next day simply give a distainful sniff and walk away. Sometimes the food she refused to eat one day would be the same brand she wolfed down the next week! Drove me nuts.
ReplyDeleteYes, I have been lucky with my eyes down the years with very few problems. This was going on far too long.
DeleteCats are fussy but then I know there is actually very little meat in the sachets . . .
Keeping my fingers crossed that the eye drops work quickly. This has been going on for too long.
ReplyDeleteLove the blocks for the curtains you are making.
God bless.
Yes, I am being very diligent and cutting/trimming extremely accurately. THe colours are a joy to work with. Eye feels much better this morning.
DeleteGood to hear your eye problems should be sorted now with the new drops.Fingers crossed as 9 weeks is far too long.
ReplyDeleteYes, it's difficult to know who to approach - but I didn't get proper treatment until Consultant seen . . . He was quite surprised that the Optician suddenly phoned me to say I needed an Emergency Appt. and why . . .
DeleteI hope the new eyedrops sort out things. You have really been through it with your eyes. Haven't food prices gone up alarmingly? I went food shopping on Friday didn't get very much and not a lot of meat or cheese, and my few items came to £70! We are really tightening our belts. Take care Sue H
ReplyDeleteI ended up spending more on meat than I normally would (one pack of something a week usually). I will make each item do several meals though/some for the freezer. One piece of Wensleydale for my lunches. £3 is enough to pay. Edam has been going up and up and up. Ridiculous.
DeleteFingers crossed that the steroids do the trick for your eye...what a long, drawn-out procedure that's been! Good for you for getting yourself a little treat after the fair -- I'm a firm believer in rewarding oneself :) ~ melanie
ReplyDeleteSteroids are awful when taken orally but drops in my eye don't keep me awake.
DeleteWas it you who bought a copy of Running for the Hills? If so, what did you think of it?
Yes! It was me...I really enjoyed it. It was hard to read at times -- the cruelty of their neighbours, for one -- but fascinating, all the same. Most books of that ilk that I've read are from adult perspectives, ie. adults moving somewhere remote etc ...so it was interesting to read through the eyes/memories of a child in that situation. ~ melanie
DeleteGlad your eye is being sorted, what a palaver it’s been for you.
ReplyDeleteHardly any sloes as you say, also very few acorns or conkers……the upside of the very hot dry summer is that the tomatoes have only just stopped producing, although my cucumbers gave up the ghost weeks ago, I think you mentioned your cucumbers are still fruiting.
Alison in Devon x
I hope your eye responds well to the drops, it's been quite the ongoing trauma hasn't it. :-(
ReplyDeleteOh those poor Sloes, it's not been a good year for a lot of the wild growing fruits has it. The blackberries around our neck of the woods have been dire this year.
I hope your eye clears up, must be so annoying. Did you discard any and all eye makeup or wrinkle creams that might be contaminated? I think you said you did. And wash your glasses / sunglasses thoroughly, soap and hot water. Steroids seem to be a go-to treatment lately, or maybe I just get sick more often. ER gave me steroids [oral] for flu last winter., the other guy Rxed them recently for hand pain and mishapeness. They make me so hungry always., and nervous/ anxious
ReplyDeleteI love your quilt projects. I make quilts [as you know] just for the fun of making. Sadly no one ever wants them tho.
I've never made sloe gin but then I'm not really a big gin fan anyway, good you got your eye sorted out, hope it heals up, have a nice week.
ReplyDelete