Thursday, 1 October 2026

When EVERYTHING goes wrong

 You couldn't make it up, the week poor Tam has just had to endure.  I will start at the beginning.  Last week Jon was ill with a really high temperature and in bed asleep all day on Thursday.  Temperature better the next day, when I was over.  I stayed half the day and looked after Rosie and he came down mid-afternoon and sat with her.  Tam's car had shown brake problems first thing so she had to use Jon's car, and hers was towed away to the garage, but wouldn't be seen until the following Wednesday as they were so busy.  J still unwell Saturday, when Tam could feel herself coming down with it, and Rosie had something too, but neither had the high temp.  Sunday Jon had to go into work as they were short-staffed, but was talking all day and his throat was awful.  


Last week they had builders in where Tam works, but they seem to have been remarkably cack-handed and water started coming through the ceilings into the archive rooms.  Only Tam and a.n.other in so they had to remove boxes of documents, and this happened on Monday and Tuesday too - she was feeling really rough but spent two days moving boxes and then bundles of documents.  The boxes were not light.  With her long-standing health problem and broken nights, you will realize she was running on empty.  On Monday, Jon's car broke down when she reached the child-minders, where it still is as they didn't have the documents for it as it's still in Jon's mum's name (it was her car) and she's in Spain. Tam had to rely on friends and work colleagues to provide transport.



Tuesday night Jon was very ill, hadn't been able to swallow much and then nothing at all, could barely speak and throat very swollen.  I was concerned and told her to phone 111 and asked if she had a straw in the house.

So, poor Tam stuck there with no transport. At 10.30 p.m. OOH Doc said for J to go in, pronto, and they had to spend £34 they could ill afford on a taxi to get him to Aber hospital.  He has Laryngitis very badly, and was given antibiotics, steroids and a throat spray.  Then, the neighbour who said he would go and pick him up, fell asleep and couldn't be contacted, and Jon watched it start to pour with rain as he waited for his prescription to be filled.  Tam phoned taxi company after taxi company until she finally got one who would drop Jon off at his mum's as he was going home for the night.  It was around 2 a.m. at this point.

Tam was meant to phone the OOH GP if there was any change for the worse, but of course didn't know what the state of play was as Jon wasn't there but in Aber and she spent what remained of the night worrying if Jon was still alive every time that Rosie woke her - which was often as SHE had very bad localised infection they thought was fungal, but cream didn't work after two days. (Think localised nappy rash).  Oh and she's cutting her last molars too.



So, Jen to the rescue yesterday as no way could Tam get Rosie to the GP in town (only 3 buses a day and she had to wait until the Receptionist phoned back and told her if she had an appt. in the afternoon).  No way to get Jon home as friend working. Tam was absolutely wiped out.  I took her a patisserie fruit pie (she asked for one but I was going to take her one anyway), and I knew she hadn't been able to afford wine that week so took her a bottle, and a couple of my little cucumbers.  She was SO glad to see me.  Just to have someone to share the worry with - and the washing up!  It took me over an hour of solidly washing up, drying and stacking as she hadn't been able to tackle it for days.  I peeled and chopped the spuds for the Cottage Pie she was planning for tea.  I have my uses!  Then I took them in to the GP's, we liaised with Jon, went to pick up her car which had been fixed two days earlier but they had the wrong phone number for her!  

I finally got home just after 7 and the cats were very pleased to see me.  I too had wine last night - reckoned I had earned it!  I watched the Great Pottery Showdown and in the car, podcasts were the 100 years war again, which I really enjoyed as there is such a camaraderie between Tom and Dom and plenty of laughter - the thought of the Welsh longbowmen shedding their trousers because they had been standing around so long and needed to poo where they stood!!!  Then going into battle thus unclad!

So, a week from hell that you couldn't make up.  Everything that could go wrong, went wrong, but hopefully that is behind them now and that Jon's car can be recovered soon and the bill not too much. 

Today I have a walk planned, some gardening and packing some of the boxes for Saturday's Fair, and then some patchwork after lunch. 

21 comments:

  1. Oh gosh WHAT a week that was. I think you both deserved wine, and Jon should have had some whisky to numb his poor throat. Oh well, I guess things can only get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sort of week you don't want a rerun of any time soon, that's for sure. I did ask Tam if they had brandy or whisky in the house, but she said he couldn't swallow. He did actually manage to eat last night, so the steroids had kicked in quickly, thank heavens.

      Delete
  2. One of those weeks when everything comes to a head.....
    Lets hope that life runs a bit more smoothly now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if only they can get the chap to sort their guttering (the chap they paid £1500 to sort the guttering back in the spring . . .), they will have less water pouring down the house. Oncce they have both cars back on the road, it will be a great help.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, that really is the sort of week that you don't want. Let's hope from now on no more problems for your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I lived nearer, but I don't and that is nothing I can change. At least I can get there in about an hour and a half - I allow that long as there is often someone going slow up on the mountain road.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, that is a lot to go through for Tam and her family, thank goodness they have you and J’s family to support them, when everyone gets ill at once it’s no joke.
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I was so upset on her behalf, SO much to deal with, and on top of being poorly herself and that on top of the Long Covid she has. J's mum and boyfriend away in Spain, so no-one to check on how he was when he was in his mum's house.

      Delete
  5. What a tale of woe. Poor family and what a horrible illness. Wishing them all well again. They need feeding up and some vitamins to strengthen their immune systems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon has basic m-v's. The good ones are £20 or so a hit and they have had a lot of expenditure recently - now both cars. Tam cooks well but she said there's never enough protein as meat is so expensive.

      Delete
  6. You certainly needed the wine. Hopefully their health improves rapidly and they have no more car problems. As you say everything always happens at once. Maybe Jon should take a good multi-vitamin too instead of the energy drinks which are full of nasties. When Rosie's teeth pop through she should also be better. Natalie and Iris always got bronchitis when cutting teeth and both are asthmatic, fortunately Christopher seems to be sailing through the cutting teeth bit, but is now crawling everywhere, have had to find the stairgate out. Take care. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Jon takes a gummy multi-vitamin, so that's something. I drink too much Diet Coke, so who am I to criticise on the drinks front?!

      Rosie's eczema gets worse when teefs come through. Glad that Christopher had no problems but gosh, he will soon need a ball and chain so you know where he is!!

      Delete
  7. Man, what a terrible week they had. I really hope things get better for them. Glad that you were able to help out.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely one you don't want again in a hurry. Yes, I felt useful again.

      Delete
  8. Seems like illness is everywhere. Poor Jon. Poor Tam. I did not realize that groceries were such an issue for you folks over there, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's been a nasty cold going round too, so I hope that keeps at bay. The moment children are together (school, or in Rosie's case, at the child-minder's), the bugs have fun! I shall do a post on groceries . . .

      Delete
  9. So sorry to read of the week from hell. It drains strength for quite a while to recover from. Re the protein/ no beans pulse issue issue, my 2 youngest children refused point blank to eat meat that looked liked meat in their childhood, sausages yes, roast chicken, no. Worrying about their protein levels I would make soups and add a tin of butter beans/ cannellini beans to that half a cauliflower and last parsnip soup before whizzing it smooth. A little garlic and a half teaspoon of tarragon they never knew only that it made the soup beautifully creamy. Hummus with chickpeas was another. I should add that one is a vegan and one a vegetarian now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will suggest blending beans in - for both Jon and Rosie! Rosie likes Hummus at least. Rosie has a real sweet tooth - she will take after the 2 x g. aunt who would sell her soul for extra sugar ration in WWII!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh your poor family, really hope all improving now. Us Mums do have our uses! The thought of long bowmen going to battle minus their trousers made me chuckle. Hope you and your family have a peaceful weekend. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon should be mending now, although climbing the walls at night from the steroids. Yes, the thought of those untrousered bowmen tickled my funny bone too!

      I will be "working" as I have a Fair, so I need to do my baking pronto.

      Delete
  12. What a terrible week for John, Tam, and Rosie. I hope you don't catch this! Wonder what virus? it is.
    As for Blogger sorting itself, this post just appeared along with today's post. Both were hard to load, so sorry. But hopefully things will improve.

    love
    lizzy

    ReplyDelete