Sunday, 9 August 2026

An unplanned day out

 I popped round to my friend Pam yesterday, as I was fed up with my four walls.  She was fed up with hers too, so we had an impromptu day out to Leominster.  She'd never been before.  These photos were taken in the best emporium.  Another one Keith and I had been to regularly was moving elsewhere in the town, as the house had been sold.  A lovely local lady we were talking to thought the new owner might  get a shock when he found out the poor state it was in.  It's listed too.  


I imagine the HUGE Victorian dresser is a permanent piece of display furniture.  So few houses big enough to house that now.  It's been there all the time Keith and I have been going there.  We used to visit in January, as our wedding anniversary fell then and not many places we could go for a day out.



This would have looked good in our old home.



The top picture is an Elizabethan stumpwork one.  I have never seen one that wasn't a book illustration before and thrilled to see this, and the two pieces below too.  Rare survivors.


Ditto, this would have looked good at Ynyswen too.  Below are some more great bits of furniture.





Below: elsewhere in another shop.





Above is a miniature dresser and equally miniature blue and white china.


A bigger version.

I didn't put up the photo of the one thing I really really wanted (Keith was at my elbow . . .)  I am trying to talk myself out of it as I don't NEED it, but it would look good here, and a piece which has to come down to be sold is more valuable so would cover the cost when it sells . . .  This isn't a ridiculous price either.  Watch this space.

7 comments:

  1. *sigh* such beautiful, beautiful furniture. I LOVE that piece with the little pigeon on top...We have quite a small house so it can't take large pieces of furniture but I do so love the old dressers and sideboards. Actually, looking at the other photo, the pigeon-piece and the drawers it's sitting on would be the dream decor for my study. Shame about the cost of shipping :D. And I'm very intrigued about the mystery piece...I say listen to Keith, you've done the maths so... ;) ~melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, and the piece beneath it. Quality pieces, hundreds of years old. Shipping would be another matter!!! I have listened to Keith and am going to make a phone call tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. I'm very intrigued by your 'mystery piece'. Go with your instincts and get it, otherwise someone else will buy it. Some of those pieces are beautiful, but just wouldn't fit in our little, modern house, I have to be very careful what I buy, measurement wise and colour too. A day out with a friend is lovely, better than staring at 4 walls! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have decided to listen to my gut instinct (and Keith's insistence!) The piece I love takes up very little room and isn't floor standing.

      Yes, the day out was really lovely, though we couldn't find anywhere to sit down and eat.

      Delete
  3. I think you may soon have a new piece of furniture. :-)

    I was exactly the same with my Welsh Bread and Cheese cupboard. I drooled over it first at full price in the antique shop, and then managed to get it for half the price as the guy in Conwy was retiring and selling everything off at half price. I am praying it can come with us when me move.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a small one. Some things speak to you.

    I would say, hang on to your bread and cheese cupboard. It's a useful piece of furniture and you love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Imagine a kitchen big enough for that first dresser!
    Looking forward to seeing your new purchase

    ReplyDelete