Thursday, 6 August 2026

Pottering


The fields are still pretty brown . . .


I had a nice walk earlier on, after I'd done the main chores.  Just up the valley a mile or so. I had a natter with my horsey friend, and went to check out the blackberry patch which is normally reliable.  The only ones worth picking were unreachable though.  But I managed 1 lb 10 oz from a bush about 200 yds from home :)



I've been out in the garden, having a bit of a tidy up but after two barrow loads, called it a day.  I may touch up the blue paint on the French doors and front door, as it's not so hot it will dry before I've removed the brush from the door.  

I am relieved to say that the application of Sudocrem to the horse fly bites worked really well, and removed the soreness and then the itching.  Thankyou Mr Google for finding that one.


An indistinct photo of the work done yesterday - the plank screwed in place and then coated with cob, which is still drying.  Now I am glad to report it is wasp proof.


The window over the sink (a double glazed one), didn't have any covering over the pipes above it and had gaps where the wasps could drop through from above.  The dark colouring is the cob mixture. To the left is the wooden stable partition, still left in place.


Gail - have replied to your query, so you can contact me.


The 125th celebration of the WPCS (Welsh Pony and Cob Society) is taking place on the showground this weekend, with a horse show.  I might pop down for a couple of hours.


6 comments:

  1. It's been cooler here today - even shut the patio doors already. Temps set to rise again - hope the ponies don't get too hot at the show over the weekend.

    Now no rain forecast here until the 17th - it was the 13th but that cloud has gone off the chart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooler here too. BUT, I've just checked the forecast and next week we are back to really high temps again. I am dreading it esp. it will be very hot when I have to go and look after Rosie one day next week. No rain in the foreseeable future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good tip about the Sudocrem. I get bitten a lot by everything and generally end up using sting relief with cortisone and antihistamine tablets. We're hoping for dry weather tomorrow for the Borth carnival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised, especially as nothing else had given any real relief. Even my strong antihistamine didn't touch it. I think the dry weather for the Carnival is a given!

      Delete
  4. What lovely deep window-sills....glad the patching has thwarted the wasps. Everything looks so brown and crisp :(...we have rain in the forecast today (hallelujah) let's hope it's not a work of fiction, like most forecasts are these days. It's so unbearably muggy here...I'm more than ready for autumn. No pressure, but if you do pop down to the horse show, some photos would be grand ;) xo ~ melanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it's an old house with stone walls, and wide sills everywhere. Crisp and brown it definitely is - and we are so used to wall to wall emerald green here in Wales. Hope you got the promised rain, but I don't trust the forecasts unless they tell you how hot it will be and that is usually right, sadly.

    I need a "day out" and the show is on my doorstep . . .

    ReplyDelete