I found this x-stitch Robin when I was tidying up my sewing things this week. I thought I would turn him into the Christmas tree hanging he was originally meant to be. So, I folded over the edge and neatly tacked it . . . Not too difficult to do on Aida.
Then I found a film on Amazon Prime and stitched as I watched Twisters.
I enjoyed the film and the sewing. I have also discovered some Laura Ashley 1980s patchwork hexagons which I had started edging, so I will finish them off and list them on Ebay.
Well, I don't know how far my cake went as I found out that there were 12 Fire Crews from all around the area working on the fire at Glascwm. . . A few crumbs each perhaps!
We are meant to have rain starting today and very heavy tomorrow, so I hope that helps to put out remaining fire. The one at Maerdy looked very bad in the posts on Facebook.
I forgot to mention something that brought me such joy on Monday morning. I was in the bathroom and craning my neck out of the window to see if my neighbour's friend's car was still down there. The House Martins suddenly began flying up to the nests, 30 or so of them, just inches from my face, and their shadows swooping across the wall beside me. There is one last lot of eggs being laid and brooded. I'm not sure what the fledged youngsters were doing flying up to the nests in such numbers, but what a delight it was. I really miss them when they leave, even more so this year as we have had 6 nests built (2 in previous years) and so LOTS of House Martins about.
Now, I have been awake 2 hours. Perhaps if I read a bit more I may get back to sleep but I am about to hit the exciting and scary bit at the end of the book so perhaps it won't exactly lull me to sleep!


Looked out my window expecting to see everywhere wet after predicted rain - No, still bone dry. So much for a yellow storm warning. Maybe tomorrow?
ReplyDeleteThe forecast I saw yesterday looked like you would be drowning today, so hold the faith . . .
DeleteSix weeks on and the fire in the Cairngorm mountains is still there...
ReplyDeleteThat's the trouble when it gets deep into the peat. Looking at the FireMap this morning all the fires appear to be getting under control here now. Orange rather than a big bright red mass.
DeleteI am up too. It is just after 4 am right now. Your sleepless night is over, for better or for worse. I wonder how mine will end?
ReplyDeleteI just couldn't sleep. Short vivid dreams. Itchy. Too hot. Tossing and turning. Ah well . . .
DeleteI know exactly how you feel about the book. 'The Lady of Hay' has been miserable all through and she is only going to die at the end anyway. I like happy endings;) Shocking news about the fires, we are cooler up here, so the moors are still safe, plus we have had rain on and off.
ReplyDeleteYes, the more recent books are an easier read. The fires have been dreadful - and preventable. I hope the kids they arrested get hauled over the coals good and proper.
DeleteI slept really well last night but the wind was super noisy. Alan was also lying awake for a long time, I'm wondering if it's something to do with changing weather patterns as so many people are having sleep disturbed nights..
ReplyDeleteThe Robin is lovely.
ReplyDeleteHouse Martins, Swallows and Swifts - such wonderful birds.
Alison in Devon x
I adore them, but I get low when they leave for Africa . . .
DeleteWe have just had an absolute downpour with thunder and lightening thrown in. The grass has perked up no end. Had Iris this morning and she decorated a bee watering dish, Mumma and Christopher were seeing his maternal grandparents. He's now nearly 18lbs and everything is going in his mouth. Just watched a Garden Rescue - their budget was £6,000! Take care. Xx
ReplyDeleteClouds are darkening here but not due rain until the small hours. Then two days of it. Hooray!
DeleteTell Iris a bee-watering dish is such an important thing to have in a garden. Lovely that Christopher gets to see his maternal grandparents. They are an important part of his life.
£6,000 for a garden rescue! Gosh, how would I spend that? I think I would get something done with the VERY deep stone steps at the far side of the house, and the bank plantings and former veg area. (Before me that is). Get the Rhododendrons trimmed and the Beech trees to improve my view. That needs doing anyway, so may see if my neighbouyr's friend Sam can help me next time he's over.
No wind here, but we did have some rain. Thursday and Friday look to be very wet here - hooray. Praying they put out the wildfires which are still problematical. Hopefully I will sleep well tonight.
ReplyDeleteSorry, that was in reply to Sue . . .
DeleteThat x-stitch Robin is absolutely adorable & I love how you have made it into a christmas decoration - just perfect.
ReplyDeleteWe have to look for those moments that bring us absolute Joy these days don't we - I was pegging out washing yesterday & the cows came to the fence line - it was so lovely. xx
I may start on another Christmas x-stitch. Perhaps I will do one each for T, G & D to go in their little Christmas hamper I am planning. Yes, good to find joy and pleasure in simple - free! - things.
DeleteWhat a delight to see the house martins! Good on you for welcoming and rejoicing in their nesting. There are far too many people who object to birds nesting on and around their houses because of the 'mess'. I've worked for several people who would knock down swallow nests in the entrances to their barns because of the droppings...and it infuriated me every time. The one lady had the nerve to bemoan the dwindling numbers of swallows year on year..and then would take a broom to the emerging nests. Sorry...bit of a soapbox there lol. We have robins returning every year and they hatched four broods this summer...a personal best for them! :) ~melanie
ReplyDeleteIt was indeed. I did wonder if they were saying goodbye and heading back before their parents, but apparently they all travel together. Yes, I know people who knock the nests down because of "the mess". These birds have flown 6,000 miles, and then some prat does that. I get infuriated too. Our Robins are here all year round. The minute you go and do anything in the garden, there's a Robin or two around.
Delete