Sunday, 2 August 2026

Down in the doldrums - Fair report

 Not my finest hour.  I am at present contemplating if it is worth more investment, but I need to give the Unit the full 3 months and hope the next couple of Fairs might even things out.  Otherwise, a giant half price sale in the spring and draw a line under it all.  I said I was in the doldrums . . .  I worked out that the profit margins on what I paid for the 3 items I sold first thing (to other dealers) plus the couple of pounds on the ONE item sold to a walk-in customer for £9 (bought so long ago I haven't a clue what it cost, but probably four or five pounds) didn't even cover my pitch fee of £45, let alone the diesel for the journey.

Other folks' stands, as I know some of you like seeing them, and including some from the last Fair.



A really lovely Welsh blanket.  That won't have come cheaply.


Looks lovely, but I draw the line at selling used paint brushes and old paint spattered painting cans. . .  not me.


This friend always finds amazing things which the dealers drool over.


The French shabby chic look. Really lovely.  I don't channel this and don't cross the Channel to buy French stuff either . . .

Another fab old Welsh blanket from the last Fair.








Aren't they all lovely and original?  My purse doesn't run to potted plants for window dressing.  Wish it did.


The horse's head drawing is dated 1913, and the girl went on to be a Milliner (I researched her on Ancestry).  I have enjoyed it a good few years now, 10 I think.  Got it in Brecon Auction back in the day, but it is time to have less "stuff" and I thought a horsey friend was coming to the Fair and might have been tempted.  She didn't show.


I am hoping someone will buy my signed and boxed copies of Richard Bebb's amazing 2 volume opus on Welsh vernacular furniture.  He has missed nothing out and Keith and I used to love visiting his shop in Kidwelly.  When his books were launched, we went down to buy our set and get them signed.  Quite collectable now.  I no longer need to own them.  I will stick with Victor Chinnery's book about  oak furniture.  The stone next to the gloves is a serpentine carving from Zimbabwe.  I think Keith must have found it at an old boot sale in Carmarthenshire when we lived there.  A dust gatherer from his gran's dresser.  All the pieces to the left on the small stand are from a forgotten box from the stables.  


I unpacked the car this morning, did a load of washing and hung it out on the wooden clothes horses ("Maidens" is what they were called in Manchester) and have them all dry.  I've done the shopping, and read more of my book.  I made a Hungarian Goulash for my tea tonight, served with wholegrain, red and wild rice, plus runner beans I've grown in the garden.  They couldn't be any fresher.  Looking forward to my mini bottle of wine this evening.


My gosh, that hit the spot!



21 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, so many treasures, I don't know which ones i would pick first, have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed looking round it. I'll try and take more photos next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know how I love the fair and even car boot stall photos, thanks so much.
    I'm sorry the fair wasn't a financial success for you, your displays look lovely.
    Dinner looks delish and so well deserved. Have a good night.
    love

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed looking round anyway. I have people admire my things - buyers and other dealers - but it's who is there on the day and we were the entertainment . . .

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the tour I like looking around also. I usually prefer a red wine, local Shiraz is very nice., but before Christmas, which is summer here, I buy myself some of those tiny bottles of champagne as I only drink one glass and hate to waste it. JennyP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith and I used to drink Shiraz or a good Malbec. Tam prefers white so I have fallen into the habit of getting white when she's here - and when she's not, tbh.

      Delete
    2. P.S. We have Champagne when we open the presents on Christmas morning (a ritual brought into place by Gabby!) I have to fight for my share so never drink too much of it!

      Delete
  5. Love all the blue on your stall.

    Hope your Unit goes well now people are holidaying in the area

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Customers love it too. HOliday makers ok as long as they buy something!

      Delete
  6. Interesting about the clothes dryer..for us a clothes horse had its feet on the ground....a Sheila Maid was the one suspended from the ceiling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Maiden is a Manchester/oop North expression for clothes horse. The hanging ones are Sheila Maids, we had two in our kitchen at Ynyswen.

      Delete
  7. Your stall looks really interesting.
    Do you think the lack of sales was due to low footfall or were people just there for a wander around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of faces I'd never seen before. Clearly most wouldn't know an antique if it jumped up and bit them, screaming Antique! The lovely green French enamel pot with lid is about 60 years old, but has a tiny chip to handle and one inside, which doesn't make it the least bit unusable, though most people have them for "the look" in their kitchen. Everyone who picked the lid up put it down like it was red hot. They expect 60 years old but brand new . . . We were the cheap (£2 entry) entertainment . . .

      Delete
  8. My gosh too, that dinner looks scrumpilicious!! Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can recommend it. Used to cook that first in the 80s when it seemed Exotic!

      Delete
  9. A thank you for introducing Barbara Erskine's - The Valley of the Ravens, 17 hours long on Audible and a very good story. The author is new to me. As for giving up, it is still early days and we would all miss your photos ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have read all (and still own most) of her books. I am in the last 70 pages or so of the book and want to sit down and finish it this afternoon. It's especially good as I know the area so well. Lady of Hay was her first book, set in Hay-on-Wye and about the de Braose family (Marcher Lords and real people) as the time slip part. All of them really good. She lives up towards the Gospel Pass road around Hay Bluff I think.

    Hanging on in there with my blog. Need a few sales in the Unit though or that will be a very short-lived thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn’t spot any dolls this time but enjoyed looking 😀
    The term Maidens for what I call a clothes horse fascinates me……..husband is from Manchester and he and his mum always call them Maidens.
    Your meal looks very tasty x
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't recall seeing any dolls this time. They are always at Malvern, so I will make sure I take lots of photos next time (see, I'm recovering already!)

    Yes, I wonder how far back in time that expression goes?

    I can recommend the meal. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sadly, its the same amount of labor to pack, set up and then dismantle, same outlay for fuel and entry fee whether items sell or not. Years ago I entered items in two local craft fairs--lots of 'lookers' but almost no sales. Several years ago our niece and her husband treated us to a day at a high=end craft venue in Tennessee--truly beautiful, well made things that I would have loved to bring home but WAY beyond my budget.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spot on. It was a hot afternoon and although I had help with the heavy stuff, oit still wore me out going up and down the stairs with the smaller lighter things. My scalp sweats easily in that weather and my hair was soaked. First stop on way home was nearest garage for an ice lolly! Still, I saw my friends, and had nice conversations and next time might be better after a month's cap because of Builth.

    Craft items can never repay the hours put into them, or the skill, but some folk keep trying . . .

    ReplyDelete