Tuesday, 25 August 2026

Sky full of smoke

 All across the town and heading Eastwards, there is a pall of smoke from the fire and the air is thick with it.  I will definitely have to use my mask today to go and water round at Ed's.  I have to go to the PO too, to send back the dreadful mascara I bought online.  It is rubbish.  Then hair wash and clothes in the washing machine.


This is the smoke coming up from the Glascwm fire.  Yesterday my friend whose home overlooks a broad vista, saw some kids running along the top of a nearby hill.  Then a little while later, 9 of them on top of it again, one with a bag . . .  She was worried sick that they would set light to it.  Then she saw them in fields below the hill and managed to alert the owner of the land, who came out.  Who is to say what they had planned?  I see that two farm barns full of hay/straw have been set alight to in Herefordshire.  I feel so sorry for the farmers - loss of barns and all their winter feed/bedding . . . 

There has been a dreadful fire at Drummau Mountain too (towards Neath).  I think a Nursing home was evacuated.  Never wanted torrential rain for a week so much . . .  There looks to be some coming in on Thursday.  

Right, not a good note to start the day on.  Off to do something POSITIVE.



Update - the Something Positive.  Ginger cake.  One on the left for my family tomorrow (Gabby, Danny and little "I" visiting).  The big one for the Fire Crew.  They have earned it.


21 comments:

  1. It's hard not to let all the fires really get us down isn't it, and of course for you the health implications of the smoke as well as the knowledge of what our hardworking farmers and firefighters are going through. What is the world coming too with so many young people being so feral. Yes, we were all mischievous at times while we were growing up, but we would never have dreamt of doing some of the things that are going on at the moment. :-(

    Cake is always a positive ... let's focus on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake was greatfully received at the Fire Station. Judging by the smoke, they will be fighting the Glascwm fire all day today too (as they doubtless were overnight). Local farmers involved. Not an arson fire this, but last week's fire setting off again - perhaps from the wind getting up yesterday and encouraging hot spots into flames.

    I jsut cannot believe the crass stupidity of young men these days - starting fires left, right and centre, and then the ones who think it's clever to drive the wrong way down a motorway - and the ones who werte killed in Middlesborough now being copied by others around Manchester. Talk about a death wish . . . In my day, just riding a motorbike was enough to rate you as a bad 'un . . . Or smoking a joint . . .

    Yes, let's focus on the cake! Just making bread now too, and will knock up some pastry for a left-over-mince pasty for tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely to make a cake for the fire crew.
    Desperately sad and frustrating that some people find it a source of amusement to set fires. As Sue above says What is the world coming to.
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nothing to me to make a bigger cake mix, but for an exhausted firecrew it would be a welcome treat I hope.

      A couple of other ladies and myself were all for "Bring back the Birch" to sort the stupidity out of these lads . . .

      Delete
    2. The couple of other ladies and I were in the paper shop . . . putting the world to rights.

      Delete
  4. That's so gutting to think of the farmer's hay/straw going up...I can't get my head around the behaviour of these kids. I do hope you get that rain. Bless the fire crews...honestly, they're doing daily heroics. I bet the cake was well-appreciated...you're so kind. Stay safe. ~ melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would happily make one every day for them, but that might get a bit expensive in the long run, the way the fires aren't stopping. They are total heroes. On the hottest of days here they were facing even higher temperatures firefighting, in their old fashioned fire jackets and trousers as they have not been issued with the lightweight ones other Brigades have issued.

      Delete
  5. I bet the firemen appreciated the cake. Some business's round here have been donating bottled water, meals and sandwiches for our local fire crews. Stay safe. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it hit the spot. Just seemed so little as a way of saying thank you for all they do.

      Delete
  6. When winter feed and bedding are running low already...
    Well done for giving your cake to the fire crew xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these little oiks need disciplining. Clearly they are just left to run feral. I am praying that the rain we have coming our way will be prolonged and heavy and help put these fires out.

      Delete
  7. Well done for making a cake for the firemen. They are exhausted. A young lady in the Rhondda Valley set up a fund to help feed the fireman on duty a couple of weeks ago and raised in excess of £7500. She videoed herself shopping at Tesco and various food takeaways collecting food and drinks and taking them to the fireman. They were so grateful to see her and put in requests for various different things, even soap powder to wash their clothes, as there were many crews from various places including the Ghurkas. I donated and was pleased to do so, but some criticised her, making out she was off to 'The Maldives'. She was up a mountain with a Bag for Life in each hand. What a trooper!
    The fires are still terrible here in Wales. The poor wildlife and sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, that young lady in the Rhondda Valley deserves a medal too. As for the naysayers - I hope they feel guilty . . . Maldives indeed. Don't judge others by how you would behave yourself. I saw the Ghurkas had been involved - they are in Brecon, so on the doorstep.

    I saw that some sheep had died of prolonged smoke inhalation. Thank heavens the Fire crews have masks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. My one cake seems pretty pathethic in comparison with the lass in the Rhondda. HOpe it helped anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, that is not good behaviour from the children, gotta wonder where the parents are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grown up versions of the kids - no brains and no education. No moral compass whatsoever.

      Delete
  11. Every kindness helps regardless of size Shocking about the arson and that it is promoted in social media. Something is very amiss. Smoke is terrible here, made worse by large particles of ash. I'm dismayed and frustrated that governments are fighting over territory and tariffs when the overwhelming danger to us all is climate change and global warming. Meanwhile keep making and eating cake for sanity's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry you are suffering so from your forest fires. How far away are they? Governments sound a waste of rations wherever they are based . . .

    Family here today - it's now the middle of the night and I can't sleep as bitten by Ed's super-bitey insects when I watered round in his polytunnel today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dam I'm glad I'm at Fforest Fields I'd be choking from the look of things. Hopefully there will be rain tonight which should help quell the fire. Last time I was there there was a paragliding competition happening, great to watch

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bit if an update. I emailed Fforest Fields whee our caravan is and was told it’s not too bad there, the fire is about four miles away, the rain dampened it this morning and they are digging trenches to stop the spread. The sent mr a photo of the smoke from the farm, it look huge. I’ll pop down after the bank holiday to check the caravan, my wife has a new fluffy puppy so won’t be coming

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I imagine Fforest Fields not an ideal place to be when that fire was at its height. The rain will have helped dampen it down. I'm 7 miles away as the crow flies but there was a lot of smoke over Builth and I could smell it here and stayed inside.

    ReplyDelete