Tuesday 11 October 2016

Lily's recipes, WW1



Regular readers of my (sporadic!) witterings will know that I am fascinated by social history.  Being THE Family Historian in our family, it is difficult not to be interested by other people's histories too.  This little book of recipes from WW1 came my way last week, at the Wee Flea we go to.  The dealer who had it knew it had my name on it!  I paid for it in money and cake : )

This photograph is signed on the reverse:

"From Lily,

            To Mother  & Dad,

                       December 23rd 1917."

It was made into a postcard as so many photographs were at that time, by Charlesworth's Studio, Southall, W.                    Day and Electric Light.  (I presume the latter meant photographic methods).

I don't know her surname (or I would be off researching her on the internet).  She has a lovely kind face - one that you can invisage in old age





Her recipe book is entitled "Puddings and Sweets" but some savoury delights also crept in.  I assume many were copied from women's magazines of the period, but some may have been family recipes, especially the Christmas Cake and the Mincemeat.  The latter is similar to my Mincemeat recipe, only hers includes Suet for keeping properties.






This photograph was also tucked into the back of the book.  It is marked on the reverse "Cartolina Postale.  Carte postal.  "Ubermor".  I believe it was taken in Italy and my husband says that the badges on the Pith Helmets are Royal Engineers.  I don't know if any of them was her brother, or her "young man", but the card was there for a reason.  I need to do some more research on where they may have been stationed in Italy, but did come across this fascinating link about the "White War" fought on the glacial edges of the Italian Alps.  Many thanks to the Telegraph's Laura Spinney for this excellent piece of journalism.  Warning - photos of not-too-detailed mummified corpses, so you may wish to avert your eyes.

I just hope that Lily's young man (or brother) returned safely to her.



8 comments:

  1. What a superb find - it is so lovely to think that the little recipe book she copied out is now being read by others so long after the event. Such a shame you haven't got a surname so you can do some more research. A really fascinating post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the beautiful proper writing in that recipe book. Have fun researching

    ReplyDelete
  3. BB, what a totally fantastic find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating to have a slice of social history like this -and frustrating too as you really ca't take it much further unless somebody recognises her on line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what wonderful pieces of history. I adore these old recipes and to see them written in someone's hand, all the more wonderful. Love the tour of the market too. Thanks for showing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a number of similar postcard photos--some of family members, others of local landmarks or people who remain nameless. They seem to have been popular circa WWI--any idea when they were first used?
    Like you, I always want the story behind the photos--names to go with the faces, the homes and locales--the details!
    When I was first learning to cook [suppers made for my grandfather] I used an old recipe book that had likely belonged to my long-dead grandmother. Some of the pages were hand written, others had been typed on a wobbly machine and duplicated before being bound into a black cover--perhaps something lovingly assembled by a church women's group [?] I remember that my grandfather particularly liked a simple molasses cake, the 'receipt' contributed by a neighbor along the road.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a number of similar postcard photos--some of family members, others of local landmarks or people who remain nameless. They seem to have been popular circa WWI--any idea when they were first used?
    Like you, I always want the story behind the photos--names to go with the faces, the homes and locales--the details!
    When I was first learning to cook [suppers made for my grandfather] I used an old recipe book that had likely belonged to my long-dead grandmother. Some of the pages were hand written, others had been typed on a wobbly machine and duplicated before being bound into a black cover--perhaps something lovingly assembled by a church women's group [?] I remember that my grandfather particularly liked a simple molasses cake, the 'receipt' contributed by a neighbor along the road.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love old recipe books, especially handwritten ones. Never been lucky enough to find one with a photograph tucked inside, though. I've found old menu cards, letters, extra recipes and instruction for the cook and the housemaid, no photographs, no names, which always seems a shame. I love trying out their old recipes, occasionally. A lovely find.

    ReplyDelete