Wednesday 18 October 2017

More mopping up the apples cake recipes


BANANA APPLESAUCE CAKE



2 1/2 cups/8 oz plain flour
2 cups (I halve this to 4 oz) sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tblspn. pumpkin pie spice (ground cloves)
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup (200ml/7fl. oz.) water
1/2 cup (2 1/2 oz) vegetable shortening (I use Stork marg.)
1 cup applesauce (1/2 pint) - cooked up previously and cooled
1 cup mashed banana (2 medium bananas - a good way of using up very ripe ones)
2 eggs
1/2 cup chopped almonds (I leave these out)
3/4 cup (4 oz) raisins

Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl of an electric mixer and blend well.  Add water and next 3 ingredients, blend, then beat at medium speed until creamy.

Add eggs and beat 2 mins at medium speed.  Stir in nuts and raisins and pour batter into a wax paper lined 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan (or use a large loaf tin and cook for longer).

Bake at 350 deg.F for about 45 minutes.  Turn out onto a cake rack and peel off wax paper.  If wished, when you have turned right side up and whilst still warm, you can sift confectioner's (icing) sugar over the top.  I don't bother.  This freezes well.




APPLE YEASTBREAD

1 lb (450g) ordinary plain flour
Pinch of salt
1 oz (25g) butter
4 oz (100g) caster sugar
1/2 oz (15g)fresh yeast (or 1 teaspoon of dried yeast)
1/4 pt (150ml) warm milk
1/4 pt (150 ml) warm water
12 oz (350g) cooking apples
1 level teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon golden syrup

Lightly grease and flour a deep 8 " (20cm) square cake tin.

Sift the f lour and salt into a mixing bowl.  Rub in the butter.  Stir in 1 oz (25g) sugar.  Blend the yeast with the warm milk then mix in the warm water and pour into the flour.  Mix to make a firm dough.  

Put the dough on a lightly-floured worktop and knead for 10 mins.  Cover and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.  Knead risen dough again and roll out to an oblong 15 x 10 inches (38 x 25 cm).

Peel and roughly chop the apples and mix with remaining 3 oz (75g) sugar and cinnamon.  Sprinkle apple mixture over the dough.  Moisten edge and roll up, starting at a long edge.  Cut the roll into 9 slices.  Put the slices in the tin, cut sides up.  Cover and leave to rise to top of tin.

About 15 mins. before end of rising, turn on over, set at moderately hot, 425 deg. F. 220 deg. C, Gas Mark 7.  Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 40 - 45 mins, or until golden brown.  Brush with the syrup and serve warm or cold.  With cream, it's a lovely dessert.  Not one for freezing.



16 comments:

  1. Prepares to raid fridge, pity there won't be any of those in there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both recipes sound good. You've inspired me to make a favorite apple cake as I need to bake for a church dinner this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your baking Sharon. I need to do some today too, if I have room in the freezer . . .

      Delete
  3. More inspiration! I am now so hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that Chip. They are fairly toothsome, I must say.

      Delete
  4. gosh I'm drooling at the apple yeast bread, it looks so delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's simple enough to make, so I hope you try it.

      Delete
  5. Oh my! The Apple yeast bread looks yum. Think I'll try that today. The apple sauce cake looks great too. I have a cake to make for the school Macmillan coffee morning next week so might make a double batch.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, all those beautiful cakes look wonderful. I think the quilt is beautiful and would look great with some plain squares, have you decided on the colour yet? I love the raspberry, but that's because I adore red :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you much of a crop from your apple tree? I hope that you give these recipes a try. Glad you like the quilt. I think the plain squares will be red, so long as I can match it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BB, you inspired me. I made the Dorset Apple cake and then some apple turnovers because I had some spare puff pastry in the freezer. They went down well with my men. I'm going to make more of the apples into the turnover filling and freeze it for another time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lou, glad you got cracking and the baking was enjoyed.

      Delete
  9. Hi Bovey Belle :) Your apple yeast cake looks SO GOOD. Thanks for sharing the recipe! I am here visiting from Yarrow's blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rain. Yarrow and I are old friends. Glad you enjoyed the recipe.

      Delete