Wednesday 18 October 2017

Lap quilt update and some apple cake recipes for the freezer


There was me thinking I was getting to the sashing in my class today - I had forgotten I needed to do the last corner pieces - the red bits here.  Anyway, now I need to assemble some plain patterned red blocks to intersperse with the nine above.  Oh dear, that means I will have to buy some more material!  What a hardship that will be . . .



DORSET APPLE CAKE
8 oz (225 g) self-raising flour
4 oz (115 g) butter
4 oz (115 g) caster sugar
8 oz (25 g) cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped (you can use eating apple if that's all you have available)
Grated rind of one lemon
1 medium egg, beaten
2 oz (60 g) sultanas (optional)

If you want the ginger version, add a handful - a couple of ounces (60g) of crystalized ginger - either the ready to use strips, or chopped up lumps or the balls in syrup chopped up.  Makes SUCH a difference to the flavour.

Set the oven to 375 deg F or gas mark 5.  Put the flour into a large bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.  Stir in the sugar, apples, lemon rind and egg and mic well.  Add the sultanas, if desired, and ginger.  Put the mixture into a well greased 8 inch diameter cake tin and bake for 30 - 40 mins until golden in colour.  Serve warm as a pudding or eat cold.



CHOCOLATE CHIP APPLE CAKE

1 cup butter, softened (8 oz/225 g)
1/2 cup (4 oz/100 g) white sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup water (standard breakfast cup)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups  (12 oz/ 300 g) all purpose (plain) flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda (Bicarbonate of soda)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups apples, peeled cored and finely diced 
1 cup (6 oz/ 175 g) semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions

1.  Preheat the oven to 325 deg. F (165 deg C).  Grease and flour a nine or ten        inch tube pan (I used an 8"? cake tin).

2.  In a large bowl cream the butter (or margarine) with the sugar.  Beat in the        eggs then add the water and the vanilla (I found this curdled readily, so            added a few spoonfuls of sifted flour.)

3.  Stir in the flour, cocoa, baking soda, ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg        together.  (I sifted this all first).  Beat this mixture into the creamed   mixture. Stir in th e chopped apples and the chocolate chips.  Pour the batter into the prepared pan.  (I never buy ready made choc. chips but chop up the                  requisite amount of bar chocolate - Lidls' usually.)

4.  Bake at 325 deg. F (165 deg. C) for 1 hour and 15 mins or until cake tests          done when prodded with a sharp knife near centre.  Transfer to a rack to            cool.  Makes about 16 servings.

This will freeze well.




I added some chopped preserved ginger to this as we love ginger here.



APPLESAUCE BROWNIES

2/3 cup (4 oz; 113 g) butter, melted  (or 150g if I translate it from an online site.  I used 4 oz anyway)
2 cups brown sugar (I halve this amount which would be about 4 oz/113g)
1 cup applesauce (drat, just use a tea mug!!!)
2 eggs
1 tblspn. grated orange peel
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups all purpose (plain) flour (11 oz/300 g)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup chopped pecans (I left these out as none in cupboard)
Confectioners' sugar (icing sugar, also omitted).

Preheat oven to 350 deg. F.  Combine first two ingredients in a large bowl and blend well.  Beat in next 4 ingredients and reserve.  Sift together the flour, powder, salt, and soda and stir into applsauce mixture.  Stir in nuts if using.  Spread batter in a greased 10 x 15 inch pan (25 x 38cm) and bake for 40 mins.  Remove, cool and dust with confectioners' sugar if using.

Scrummy : )

Some more will follow in a separate post.  All these will freeze well.


11 comments:

  1. Lovely posts BB I shall try some of these especially if they freeze. Yummy. Your quilt is coming on and is really different. You don't need an excuse to go to the fabric shop; besides you need to stroke the fabric and make sure that the colour goes well with what you actually have. It is lovely. I prefer to buy wool and fabric in person although sometimes it is not possible as we do not have much choice round here. My Mincemeat is coming on well which I am pleased about and the cinnamon wreath bread is yummy. I forgot to take photos. You are certainly very determined to use up all those apples. My Nan used to make Apple Wine, Apple cider, she also used to mix with other fruits and also add sultanas, I have a recipe for Apple Pop which is a soft drink but with a bit of a fizz. My friend Janet (I used to baby sit her daughters and indeed they were both bridesmaids for me when I got married) gave me the recipe. She was from Somerset and used to give her children this (they were both under the age of 8) so I am not sure about the alcohol level but I love it. It is different and refreshing. I like the sound of the Apple Pie Spice loaf. Is it one you can spread with butter? Take care sweetie and keep up the good work. Pattypanxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well really I shouldn't go to the patchwork shop as I am probably going to Malvern Quilt Festival tomorrow, but this is an "in case I don't go" strategy!

      Glad your mincemeat is doing well. I have about 1 cwt of apples sat about, so am giving most of them away. Trouble is, the windfalls have got confused with the picked, so some are not going to last!

      That Apple Pop sounds good - you will have to share the recipe.

      The Applesauce Spice Loaf is still a cake - I don't put butter on cakes, but feel free!!

      Delete
  2. I have copied the Choc chip Apple cake recipe to try. Your applesauce loaf cake is similar to my mother's recipe which I use.
    Re the quilt: I like the secondary pattern which results from joining the blocks with no sashing or alternate block--but I admit it would be slow stitching to fuss with matching all the seams. Several good possibilities there. As to buying more fabric--tsk, tsk! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the Choc Chip Apple Cake - many of my apple recipes come from an American book "100 best apple recipes" which a penfriend sent me back in the 1980s.

      I agree with you about the lovely secondary pattern on log cabin quilts, but this one is going to be my easy way out!!

      Delete
  3. Oh my, what beautiful and delicious-looking baked goods! I may have to research a couple of things that I am not familiar with, then give these a try. It would be such a good thing to be able to take these from the freezer at a moments notice. I love the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chip - if you want any ingredients explained (e.g. the English ones!) shout out. Most fruit cakes freeze well. It's the fancy pants ones with icing and delicate fabric that don't!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm afraid we've eaten all my apples, the last ones were used to make apple sauce to go with roast pork on Sunday followed by apple, pear and raspberry crumble. It has been a bad year for apples in the south east, even Wisley's orchards were bare when I visited the other day with big signs explaining "Where have all the apples gone?". Your quilt is looking fabulous. And yes of course sashing means that one has fewer points to fret over matching. I'm starting to feel a little bit quiltish and thought I'd try a mini quilt to practise my point matching. There is some lovely inspiration on countrylanequilts.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah - what a shame you have a scarcity of apples in your area. I can't say the same!

    Glad that you like the quilt too. You should have seen the Quilt Exhibition I've been to this morning in Lampeter (well, you will when I post the photos) - OH MY . . . Enjoy making your mini quilt. Off to check countrylanequilts.com now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow its look great along with your baking, proper country housewife stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey bb, I've nominated your blog to share and pass it on. It's just a fun way to meet new bloggers and is totally optional. Details on my blog.x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your apple recipes all look scrumptious - am printing them off as I type :) We love Dorset Apple cake here - it was son's request for his 30th Birthday Cake when we were on the Isle of Wight - had to borrow some scales from the lady next door to the holiday cottage!!! Like the idea of adding ginger too :)

    ReplyDelete