Monday 17 August 2015

A busy time

I have been meaning to try and do a blog post for this past week, but as we had our daughter T and her boyfriend coming to stay, I wanted to try and get the house clean and orderly and that took far longer than anticipated!


Anyway, when I was searching for something on line recently, I happened upon a listing for this lovely book.  It is just up my street - though I have no time for creative sewing at the moment, although that should change with the arrival of autumn.  I like embroidered works with lots of detail, and the beautiful embroidery and embellishment on Victorian and later crazy quilts.  An excellent book with excellent stitching guides.


When I was shopping in town today, I came across this lovely baking book in The Works.  At £20 off the original price I was tempted beyond endurance!  I want to cook just about everything in it, which is always a good sign.

However, my baking efforts this week have been nearly disastrous.  I have put it down to nerves at meeting Z for the first time, and first of all I mucked up a sort of upside-down Eve's pudding - though in my defence I think it was the method given for the topping, which turned out a bit like fruitless rock cakes!  I began to make a Blackberry and Apple cake from the same book (one I have used before and had many a successful cake), but because I wasn't concentrating properly I didn't line the tin, only greased it well, and needless to say when I turned it out half the cake stayed in the pan, so it became a 2nd pudding!

I don't know what I was worrying about, as Z is an easy-going young man, and he and T make a lovely couple.   They're off camping down in Pembrokeshire now, but we have a walk up to Llyn-y-Fan Fach planned for their return.  I think I am as unfit as it is possible to be to tackle the steady mile and a half climb up to the lake as I've hardly walked all year. It's a devil of a walk for me as the gradual climb is relentless - I prefer a steeper climb and then some level bits so I can catch my breath. Let's hope we have some more fine weather this week anyway. Photos in due course.

Anyway, G is home overnight at the end of the week, so we will all have a wonderful 24 hours together.  If only D were here too.

16 comments:

  1. That looks a lovely book another to add to my list, we had visitors again this week end, I hope you enjoy your walk with your family I m sure you will manage just fine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All other things aside--I do hate it when part of a cake or muffins are stuck in the tin.
    [and it would happen just when you want to serve your best!]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on your walk, do what I do, which is, turn round every now and then to admire the view!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel - good idea. I am normally admiring that view sat on a rock and puffing like a grampus!

    Sharon - talk about panic stations here. Actually, it tastes really nice fridge-cold and has an almost cheesecake consistency. I have now hidden it in the freezer . . .

    Dawn - Both books excellent. I always get the stitching urge once autumn approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the national trust Teatime and Baking book,anmogst a host of other books for cooking and baking. I have been looking for blogs about people living the simple life in Wales. My family and I will be moving to mid-Wales, 12 miles of so inland from Aber, in about three weeks and eeeeek! I am so excited. Will enjoy reading your posts about sanity or otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Louise - hello and welcome and I hope the move goes well. You will be moving to a lovely area. I have a friend who lives near Bethania which is a similar distance from Aber. All I can suggest is that you will spend a lot more on fuel than you anticipated and anything you want to do is always going to be half a day's journey away! Keep good stores for the winter, as the weather can be unpredictable. Be prepared for a good community though, and everyone will know your business, as it is in the country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bovey Belle. Thanks for the advice.x We are actually looking forward to being out in the middle of nowhere a bit and doing it for ourselves. We are also looking for a bit more community, where we live people know your business as we are what our agent would call 'semi-rural', but with nothing to hide they are welcome to ask what and why we are moving there along with a brew and a slice of cake, of course, anytime!. We know the vendors of our house quite well already and they are gorgeous people, have only moved down the road and I feel we have already made some wonderful friends.

      Delete
    2. All I can add is that if you are going to be anywhere near Tregaron invest in good wellies and waterproofs!!! It doesn't have a Bog for nothing : ) Good to hear that the vendors are staying in the area and you have built-in friends already. That always helps.

      Delete
    3. Ha, that made me laugh as my wellies are Bogs!

      Delete
  7. That sewing book looks lovely, just finished baking a fruit cake and some savoury tarts, Paul seems to be hungry in the evening, always 'scratching' around for food, bit like the hens in fact;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thelma - Keith ate his usual frugal lunch with the most calorific piece being an ounce of cheese (along with a stick of celery and a piece of fruit). Then he complained about feeling tired as he had spent 2 hours chainsawing logs and then splitting them - and they were rock hard after a summer in the yard. What is it with men? You will have to make Paul a rummage box of goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry about your cooking attempts...I'm sure they tasted fine. I just can't bake, don't have the knack probably just as well as I've a sweet tooth and would be huge if I could bake. So good to hear that your daughters boyfriend is a nice guy, it must be such a relief. I can remember bringing home new boyfriends and hoping that everyone got on well with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, indeed, I have had lots of cakes stay in the pan after baking; it can be so frustrating to go to all the trouble to bake and then not have it pop out of its pan with excitement !~! You'd think a cake would want to look nice, no?

    Love the books - crazy quilting is stunning altho I don't do it, I enjoy the workmanship and patience it takes to do that detailed stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Suzie - yup, cake tasted fine, and held together once it had cooled and gone in the fridge. Nice with ice cream.

    Lynda - I should have used the loose base tin too, but rarely do. My own fault and yes, you would think the cake would do its utmost to look good! I am starting to feel in a craft mood, now that August is starting to feel remarkably like early Autumn here, with cooler and damper weather (though we have had the occasional very hot day this month). It will soon be time to batten down the hatches.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your new books look wonderful, I love NT books.
    Yes Autumn is nearly here reading your last comment, I have knitting & crocheting on the go.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am off into town next week I will look for that book.

    ReplyDelete