Saturday 20 August 2016

Dartmoor photos II


We stepped onto the moor, on the trackway which led to Sandy Hole Pass, and although we had planned to go that far, as it turned out, we didn't as my husband had disturbed an old ankle injury when out running last week, and clambering over the rockier parts of this route did it no favours.  Anyway, this is the little streamlet which joins the East Dart just above the bridge at Postbridge.



It looks clear enough to drink doesn't it?  But possibly contaminated with liver fluke from the sheep and you never know if there's a dead sheep higher up!  Good for spotting baby trout though.



Rowan trees dot the moor though I think the berries will soon be gone from this one.  We were heading across the field to the gateway at the bottom of that little bit of woodland to the right.



To the left behind the Rowan tree in the photo above, this row of beech trees have grown many a long year.  There will be a gap in the middle now though as several were uprooted in a recent gale, and there was the angry buzz of a chainsaw cutting them up.



Just through the gateway onto the moor, the path passes close to the river, where it chuckles over the stones.



The view upstream from the same spot.



The path ahead - surprisingly dry, although there are always boggy bits to watch out for.



We used to fish for trout here, many years ago now, when my husband and I were first "an item".  We used to go down to the moor with our friend Stu, who was a keen and able fly fisherman and he and K used to hunt for trout.  I say "hunt", as the least shadow or heavy footfall will alert the fish and they will be gone like little arrows.  There is nothing quite so good as eating river-fed wild trout, cooked in foil in the embers of a fire made from dead gorse twigs picked a stone's throw away, and with just ten minutes between catching and eating.  They are SO sweet and we have never eaten supermarket/farmed trout since then.



I can't tell you how peaceful it was, with just the occasional chack of a Stonechat giving a warning.



I was sure that this was where we used to camp, but my husband tells me it was further back - we checked it out on our return journey and he was probably right.

Below: this was the spot.





The river, tawny from peat, as it flows downstream over the granite boulders.



A quiet spot to sit, back near the little gateway.  I picked up a small granite pebble near here - it had a band of charcoal coloured rock striating it.  It sits beside the computer now, a little piece of Dartmoor.  A bit like the bag of earth that Alex Haley's Kunta Kinte wore around his neck in the 1970s tv series, "Roots".  It's my connection with where I come from.


Wild Stonecrop growing between the boulders in a drystone wall.  There are many drystone walls across the moor.


Finally back to Postbridge, and then lunch in the East Dart Hotel close by.

Some final photos tomorrow.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for that BB haven't been there for many a year but has bought back some memories. The bridge does not seem to have changed looks more fragile x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's pretty much the same Pattypan. It was hard to get a photo of it when there weren't people on it or swarming all over the place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another glorious post, I almost expected to see Lorna Doone swinging across the path.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of a chuckling river BB - perfect in such a beautiful spot.
    And seems to me you chose just the right camping spot all those years ago too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to have fun getting back there in the dark, especially after a few pints had been sunk (menfolk)!

      Delete
  5. Lovely photos - it looks so quiet and peaceful and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could just wish myself back there!

      Delete
  6. What an absolutely beautiful place, the water is so clear and I love the simple bridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chickpea. It is lovely there on a sunny day - in the middle of winter, a different matter entirely, but I still love it there.

      Delete
  7. what an amazing place. I always follow Danielle Barlow the artist, who lives on dartmoor. Lovely photos, very atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I Kath. I am envious of her lifestyle, especially the riding on the moor.

      Delete
  8. It looks a lovely tranquil place, I love that stone bridge over the river.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was onDartmoor ( with sixth form, so approx 100 years ago ) it was stormy so looked a heap different to your gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete