Wednesday 10 August 2016

Summer's end


A photo of Ghengis, who treats as a personal slave and always wants to sit on me whenever I want to just rest!  He is a portly little chap, and Too Fat to reach any further down his body than this!    I couldn't resist nabbing this photo as he was carrying out his ablutions this afternoon.  He was really feral when he arrived, but it never fails to amaze me that once you gain an animal's confidence, and they learn to trust you, they become so loyal and loving.  He is a Lap Cat - though he never jumps straight up onto the sofa or my lap, he comes up by the Scenic Route, crossing over the coffee table beside me, and I ALWAYS have to rescue my cup or glass as he would walk straight across it otherwise!


A very late attempt number two at runner beans and dwarf French beans.  The slugs had the rest.  In spring, I had stupidly planted a small amount of seedlings - "just enough for me". (I normally plant up a whole pack of seeds, at 4 to a pole.  Well, the slugs obviously thought they were "just enough for them" and nobbled the lot.  These seem luckier and have been cossetted and fed within an inch of their lives.  I have my fingers crossed that they will produce some beans before the first frost.


I ate my first blackberries of the season today - not off this bush, which has a way to go yet.  One of the first signs of the approaching Autumn, along with the House Martins and Swallows who were swirling in an animated halo over the farm this morning, then forming a long line on the power line across the yard.  Just as their arrival brings me joy, their leaving brings sadness . . . marking summer's end as it does.



Another marker of summer's end.  A second flowering of a Foxglove cut back when they trimmed (trashed is more appropriate) the hedgerows back in June.  A friend once told me that Foxgloves mark the passage of summer.  Their first flowers show the arrival of summer, and their last flowers herald its end.


A few photos of bramble flowers, which are very photogenic, and very satisfying to draw as well.  I love the frosted pink icing colours in these ones.



The one above is keeping company with the seed "bells" of the Navalwort flowers.



Finally, a pure white one.  There are about 200 different types of Bramble apparently.


Just to prove I made it to the top of the hill, looking across to the Carmarthen Fans in the distance.  We had planned a walk up to Llyn-y-Fan-Fawr this summer but we have been so busy.  Perhaps when our eldest daughter and boyfriend arrive, we might get up there.


The view of the foothills at the back of the Carmarthen Fans.


Then the view across the valley, with Codlins-and-Cream growing in the hedgerow in the foreground.


A close-up of the ethereal flowers of Meadowsweet.


Above and below: back down the hill - looking up the valley.


Below: some Orpine which grows locally.  I have never seen it growing anywhere else.


Finally, what a lovely colour the Cow Parsley goes at this time of year.


Well, we are having our "annual holiday" this weekend.  Two nights away instead of the one which is normally our lot.  We are heading down to Somerset and then on to Dartmoor and the weather is meant to be good.

Unfortunately, the car chose this week to have a hissy fit and had to have radical surgery yesterday, plus a couple of normal maintenance things like an oil change and two new front tyres.  That made a hole in the exchequer, as did attending the auction next door!  Some worthwhile stock though - much needed as we have a spate of fairs coming up at the end of the month.

20 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos of Wales, especially the meadowsweet. Enjoy your annual holiday ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that Thelma. We intend to enjoy our couple of days away - wish it could be longer though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful views. Really is some sizeable cat that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I'll have to try and arrange a meet up here with the other local bloggers. Not this month though as it's hectic here!

      Delete
    2. Yes please. Will be lovely to do that once I have the boys settled back into school.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful country you live in! So lush and peaceful.

    I love tabbies and Ghengis looks like a handsome fellow. My tabbie is Miss Tork, and she sits on my chest, not my lap whenever I am in my reading chair. When I take a nap or go to sleep at night she is laying on my chest, until she's had enough bonding, then she jumps off. :-) She occasionally comes back during the night and pats me to roll over so she can have more bonding time. Sometimes she tucks her head under my chin and purrs.

    Enjoy your beautiful world ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorraine - your Miss Tork sounds a proper character and has you firmly in your place, I can tell! Mind you, all my cats have ME trained!

      Thank you - I will enjoy a bit more of it this weekend, further afield, when we head off to Somerset and Devon.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful just beautiful ! You live in a most lovely place.
    Now I know where all the Brambly Hedge Books come from.
    Son volunteers at the shelter and works with the cats. After he cleans up if needed he will see what they want to do. when they are upset he just sits there and reads out loud to them. It is good to have a man working with the cats, as most of the abusers of cats and dog are men. He loves all the kitties.

    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are fortunate. We live in a lovely peaceful valley and Wales is hard to beat for scenery. Had to smile about the Brambly Hedge books - I used to read those to my girls. Good for your son - I hate to think of the sort that think hurting animals is fun - they will do the same to people too. Well done that he helps cats to trust men again. All my 3 children are cat lovers.

      Delete
  7. Great photos as usual, I do try but mostly end up tilting the camera, then all the shots look as though I may have been a bit tipsy. I would love a cat but Ben won't have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to be the one BEHIND the camera and enjoy taking photos. Ben wants you all to himself.

      Delete
  8. Your photographs of the countryside have a real Autumnal look to them BB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels very autumnal too Pat, and we have woken up to mists this morning.

      Delete
  9. Lovely photos of your local countryside, hope the swallows won't be leaving just yet. There are definite hints of the approach of Autumn here in Suffolk where I am atm. Have a lovely holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of the ones I saw swooping round the other day have left, but there are some late broods still in the nests in our stables and barn, and over at the farm too, so hopefully they will be with us a bit longer.

      It definitely has a feel of autumn in the air here too.

      Delete
  10. Lovely photos of the countryside around you and the flowers. There is a definite feel of autumn in the air here too. I hope you enjoy your annual break and the weather is good.

    A late comment on your posts on the Somme and family members - I found them very sad and moving.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very enjoyable post. I had no idea there was any more than one variety of bramble!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed the photo of Ghengis and thought to return for the rest of the post and somehow missed it--likely when we had a day or two of 'company.'
    I think I would feel at home poking about in your local hedgerows!
    Coming upon the photo of meadowsweet I realized I've not tried to grow it in Kentucky. Many years ago in Vermont I was able to purchase a clump at a nursery that specialized in herbs and wildlings. Over the seasons I divided and moved the roots here and there in my garden strips. Beautiful foamy flowers--it seemed to appreciate a site with some shade for part of the day.

    ReplyDelete