Monday 21 August 2017

Final St Fagan's post


Some photos from the parade of shops - more or less self-explanatory!



These mangles would have been very familiar to Keith's gran and  great-gran who ran laundries in the late 19th and early 20th C. 




This display of biscuits reminds me of my childhood, when the Corner Shop had a similar display.  I can remember being sent out to buy bags of broken biscuits for mum (they were cheaper!)




A row of miner's cottages.  They start late 1700s and each cottage shows a different period in time, up to the 1970s.


One of the miner's cottage gardens.


Above and below: this is the earliest one.





Further across the site is this wonderful Welsh long house, with the living end at the top, and the beasts (cattle) would have been kept the other side of the crossing aisle.  It meant that they provided some heat to the house, and milking was under cover and just a few steps from cow to kitchen!


A wonderful old inglenook.


Keith has made a similar set of scales to these - his design was based on ones dating from Tudor times.


Cheese making equipment.









7 comments:

  1. Just fab photos BB. Love all the buckets and tin bath and the ones of the shops are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the photos Louise. It's a great day out. The shops are just like stepping back in time (as if everything else wasn't!!)

      Delete
  2. Yes, I've really enjoyed all your recent photos and commentary from St Fagans. The sort of place that makes me tingle. I was watching Flog It! with a pot of tea yesterday (we'd had a house viewing here and I needed to decompress!) and they not only visited Llanchaereon but there was also a piece about Welsh quilts and a visit to a group of quilters. It worked a charm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I MISSED IT! Llanachaeron is a lovely place - have you ever been there? It's been an age since we have, so I shall put it on my "to do" list for the autumn. Fingers x'd over your house viewing. Ours went belly up. . .

      Delete
  3. That Jacob's biscuits photo brought back such memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me too Pat. Long ago and far away . . . Now all those little corner shops will be Tesco Extras . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some ear rings that look like the rondels. I love them.
    I would keep this.
    หนังตลก

    ReplyDelete