Sunday 20 August 2017

Todaya's car boot gem


It needs a bit of a polish/some tlc, but I just couldn't resist this beautiful Arts & Crafts copper ashtray (? as it is enormous for an ash tray!)  The cabochons are set in beautifully detailed brass roundels.  LOVE it.  Trying to do some research but have come across nothing quite like it yet.  It was a typical car boot price - £1!!


Close up of roundels.  Could these have been added later (look at brazing).  Pretty anyway, and staying with me for the moment . . .

7 comments:

  1. Posh Ashtray! are they semi precious stones?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enamel I think Sue. Or glass. Smart though, and polishing up nicely (very tarnished with nicotine as from a smoking household by the look of things.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You obviously search very carefully at Car Boots - on the rare occasions that I go to one I never find anything of the slightest interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't call me Eagle Eye for nothing Pat! We have been going round car boot sales for more than 30 years and can generally look fairly thoroughly and screen out the dross. You have to be up at First Sparrow's F*rt though - that's the secret.

      Delete
  4. I have some ear rings that look like the rondels. I love them.
    I would keep this.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's certainly a keeper for the moment. I am still researching it but have found nothing with that sort of roundel on. The cabochons are normally just set straight into the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me too Pat. Long ago and far away . . . Now all those little corner shops will be Tesco Extras . . .หนังตลก

    ReplyDelete