Monday 5 November 2018

River walk in reverse and some car boot bargains


Above and below: found at the car boot sale on Sunday, the first four small remnants (1/4s) cost me £1 - two are Liberty prints I think -very fine lawn cotton.  The pieces on the right came, along with ALL the nearly 50 skeins of embroidery floss 2/3 Anchor - 1/3 DMC, in the prettiest little sewing box (as new) for just £3!  That largesse partly made up for paying £8.50 for a green gurgle jug, which then fell out of the car after I opened the side door (thinking I had packed it all securely into the foot well . . .)  and breaking into pieces.



Keith and I walked down by the river today - levels had dropped from yesterday, when it was a wannabe torrent again.  The smaller logs had all been swept away.


I'm trying to remember the name of this old white farmhouse up on the hill.


Above and below: beech leafy views across the river.



Above and below: the same spot by the mill, two days apart.  Upper is today.



Close up of same spot today.




The mill through the trees.


Tree stumps still lingering by the bridge.


Cottage through the trees (above) and looking downstream, below.  Off downstairs now as it's nearly 9 p.m. and I've not sat down yet this evening!


11 comments:

  1. Lovely colours and scary water. What are you going to do with the fabric? Sorry re the jug. Bum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The river gets a LOT scarier than that. I wish I'd had my camera with me when it was coming through and over the bridge . . . The fabric will be added to my stash and later to another quilt.

      The jug obviously wasn't happy about coming home with me!!

      Delete
  2. You have so many lovely places to walk, but I think "down by the river" is my favorite. Your pictures really captured the loveliness of it today. When I go to the flea markets I always keep my eyes open for remnants and such. New fabrics today don't compare to the old ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone seems to like the river walks Chip. It's never the same two days in a row. I was pleased with the 3 bits of fabric for £1 as nice small prints and such fine cotton.

      Delete
  3. The colors of the trees is wonderful. Just so beautiful.

    cheers, parsnip and badger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The red ones are the Geans (wild cherry trees). Lovely.

      Delete
  4. And more rain this week in the West. But is it not a beautiful time of the year, and you do indeed live in a beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raining now. I wish I'd noticed it earlier as we had bedding on the line, but I had sewing friends here and we were busy nattering!

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful area you live in. Such lovely autumnal photos of your river walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, none of the people viewing our house even mentioned how lovely it is around here . . .

      Delete