Friday 16 November 2018

Round up for the week


When we left, the road was flooded at the bottom of the hill, due to a blocked culvert.  On our return, it was the same state of play, and there had been plenty of rain to keep it blocked.  We walked down, waded through to gauge the depth (6" or so but it had been deeper) and I emailed the Highways Department with photos and they fixed it on Tuesday.




I have been using up some of the fruit from the freezer to make Bramble Jelly and some Blackcurrant Jam.  I like to have some for gifts, as well as using ourselves (though I don't eat much of it and Keith not at all.)




At my patchwork class on Wednesday I finished my sewing bag, learning several new skills along the way!  The holey bit below is stretchy, so you can fit all sorts behind it.



A marathon hand made bread session went on yesterday.  Above is the yeasty barm base, which you then added rolled oats, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, and more flour to . . . then let it rise, knock back, rise, knock back and rise again. . . .




On Tuesday we went over to Cardigan to put some more things in the Unit and bring a couple of things back, and we popped over to St Dogmael's to see what their weekly market was like.  Keith got two excellent hard back military books for £1 each and I got a hank of wool and chatted to the potter.


Right, this won't do.  Another busy day ahead and middle daughter is visiting later.

8 comments:

  1. I am so impressed with your patchwork sewing bag! I made some lined/padded carry bags years ago as Christmas gifts, but they were nowhere near as sophisticated as yours. The photo is perfectly styled--colors in the bag picking up on the curtain in the background!
    In the first years of growing and gardening in Kentucky I happily put up jams and conserves, only to find that we weren't eating them. Sad, as they are attractive--and there goes a waste of sugar if not appreciated.
    Love the photo of a be-horned Keith. Jim and his family lived in Alaska for a few years, returning 'home' to Vermont when he was in his early teens. A set of moose antlers and one of elk horns were mounted on top of their converted school bus [it became a 'motor home!'] and for years the antlers graced the front of a large equipment barn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was impressed with it too Sharon, as I had to learn just about EVERY technique to make it - making the front pocket, making the flap for it, making the place for the metal fixer (and WHAT a job that was getting the wretched thing in place!! Sewing the stiffened liner onto the fabric and then stitching that together, putting the handles on - 2 zips, both different techniques- Alex put me through my paces!! I love it too though, especially that panel fabric I chose. All the fabrics were from redundant pattern books, so everything recycled (even one of the zips was, as it cost me 10p at the Fleamarket. NOW I am back finishing the girls' quilts for Christmas, doing a border on Tam's, and I will just tie Gabby's as it's all together now! Too late to quilt.

    I used to make SO much jam and chutney and jelly, as gifts and to sell. I hardly eat it (though I do LOVE Blackcurrant, that's my favourite). I made this as Christmas gifts and "thankyous" and still need to make some Blackberry and Apple Jam for the boys who run the shoot next door, as they always request some and I get paid in venison and rabbits for the pot! I have already had a huge saddle of venison as a thank you for my windfall apples (to tempt the deer to a specific area, so they can be culled).

    I didn't know that Jim and his family used to live in Alaska - THAT must have been quite an experience. He would have been very at home with those moose antlers - we thought they were ginormous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice post today. I am always amazed that you and other can make your own jams. The Bramble Jam sounds so English and lovely.

    cheers, parsnip and badger

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed it parsnip. Jam making isn't too difficult - it's practice and following recipes and learning on the job really! Bramble Jam does sound very English doesn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your jam looks lovely, it reminded me that I need to pull some prepared fruit out of the freezer to use up, as well as a bag or two of frozen grated zucchini....

    That pottery is gorgeous.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, bags of Zucchini - I can admit to a few of those too! I used some home-made (apple) pectin for the jelly, as I had a worry it wouldn't set. Now I think it will break knives!!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It was coming through the hedge at a heck of a rate Simon, and had eroded a wide section of river bank to get away.

      Delete