Tuesday 11 December 2018

Christmassing the house


We bought our tree last Saturday - a Nordman Fir, which won't drop.  In past years we have had to settle for much cheaper trees, even just toppings, and by the time the tree is taken out (normally through the window to minimise the mess) it is half-way to being BALD!  Tam dressed it for me and it looks a real treat.


The Christmas teddy atop the tree, bought by one of us when we used to get our Christmas tree from a Christmas tree plantation at Salem.  They had a shop with wonderful decorations and Christmassy things, and the children were allowed to each choose one special decoration each year.

Pride of place this year has been given to the wonderful peg-dollies made by Elaine over at Tales From Parsonage Wood who is a Special Blogging Friend.  She made these recently for a Bazaar and I did have Peg Doll Envy.  Well, the little chaps must have heard as apparently they were clamouring to come to me, along with some very generously-cut and absolutely GORGEOUS Japanese silk pieces, which I will have to plan to use on something Very Special in the dark days of January.  I still want to know Elaine, did you use tooth-picks to knit the wee jumper on?



Above and below: a couple of my x-stitch handicrafts from the past, using wonderful American designs from Just X-Stitch magazine - I still have a year's subscription of copies dating back over 30 years, and still treasured.  I made another a couple of years back of Mistletoe which hangs elsewhere in the room and I must take a photo of that too.



Above and below: 3 Christmas Meeces found in TK Maxx (none there when I belatedly went in this year).  They have been in the hall before, but this year are gracing the sitting room instead.



Above and below: other embellishments.  Forgive the filthy hearth (but we have scarcely been at home the past fortnight).



Finally the 12 Days of Christmas on which there is scarcely a square inch which isn't outlined in tiny hand quilting stitches (one of my favourite past-times).  Must do another along these lines.

Anyway, all my cards and gifts are posted, and I have started wrapping presents, which always takes far longer than anticipated and seems to need one more elbow than you actually possess . . .

22 comments:

  1. It's all looking cosy, warm, and festive, I hope you are going to find the time to sit and toast your toes by that lovely fire, you have been busy!

    I'm glad those bits and pieces found their way to you - by the way, the answer is: after much experiment with toothpicks, wooden skewers, etc, I settled on using a set of fine children's knitting needles! I'm looking forward to seeing what you create from the silk, whatever it is, have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to Boxing Day, when I can just rest up properly and watch the jumps racing in the afternoon.

      Tomorrow I am doing lampshade making with friends, having used some of the first silk remnants you sent me to cobble together a cover.

      Delete
  2. I have some flashing lights I may put on

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennie your tree looks lovely. A real tree looks super and smells gorgeous. I have been eyeing up my neighbours tree in his square bay window it looked perfect. Nicely spaced reminded me of how my Nan's used to look. So far they have got the lights on but no decorations but it is coming on a treat. Love some of your home stitched decorations - its the memories things bring back. Tam has done a good job. However you do have a beautiful home to set everything off to perfection. As the song goes "Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas"! Enjoy every minute xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whilst the Nordman doesn't have the strong smell that the ordinary Christmas trees have, it is a really lovely tree. I don't do plastic ones. Have you got your tree up yet?

      Delete
    2. No think it will be a last minute job but have been finding the decorations so getting prepared. I have only ever had one real tree and that was the first Christmas OH and I were together. I loved it but it left needles all over the place. We have a very good artificial one that you have to build up branch by branch which never looks too bad but you cannot beat a real tree. I am hankering after a real one again. Fingers crossed xx

      Delete
  4. How pretty and festive it looks at your place. Love it.

    Happy Christmas holidays ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorraine. Good to hear from you again. Have a lovely Christmas.

      Delete
  5. Everything looks so pretty.
    I am printing my cards out today packages go out late. It has been a rough two months with dog and people being very ill. But it is the thought that counts so If late this year added fun getting something after the 25th.

    cheers, parsnip and badger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're getting there. Sorry to hear that dog and folk you love have been very poorly. I hope 2019 brings a change for the better.

      Delete
  6. Now that is Christmas. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looking very Christmassy. Elaine kindly sent me some soldiers and peg snowmen too. Such patience needed for the perfect painting. Grandchildren will love them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, we can go Snap then! I love the idea and may have to try something similar (if I ever find the time).

      Delete
  8. All very lovely. I LOVE LOVE LOVE decorating for Christmas and find I have to give myself a cut off date or I'd be at it until Christmas Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now how did I know that?! I must go across to your blog and see how amazing your home looks.

      Delete
  9. It all looks great - the 12 days quilt is particularly lovely. We plan to pick up a tree this weekend so just hope the local farm has some left!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 12 days of Christmas hanging was a joy to work on. Hope there are some good trees left for you at your local farm.

      Delete
  10. All the decorations look beautiful - so much to love about the items on your tree :) Love the peg-dollies and the little mice. I'm knitting an elf for the mantelpiece this year but keep getting side-tracked so much to do! The last few years I have started wrapping presents as I buy them or as they arrive to avoid the last mad minute time consuming rush! Baking in hand although still have to make mincemeat as I haven't got quite enough left from last year. Mince pies always get done at the last minute and I will make stained glass window biscuits again this year. Christmas cake being fed!! (it is very boozy) and I have a Christmas Pudding left over from last year which I will use as it has been in the fridge so should have survived!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you get your elf finished in time for this year, but I know the demands on our time in December are always more than usual. Good idea to wrap as you buy - I will do the same in future. I need to make more mincemeat too. I've made those stained glass window biccies in the past and they look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm feeling a bit guilty about my decision to skip Christmas in terms of decorating and crafting. Making and baking in our camper would be nearly impossible, but I suspect I rather miss such projects. I'm having to content myself with memories of Christmases past--and with vicarious pleasure in other people's Christmas preparations.
    Tam's quilt is a lovely and colorful work of art finally realized!

    ReplyDelete