Monday 21 September 2020

We're in One-Eyed Horse Territory now

 Right, the next stage has now set in - desperation in finding another property to buy as the people buying our buyers' property want to be in ASAP and definitely before Christmas!  They may be disappointed if other solicitors can't get the conveyancing done swiftly because there is such a log jam of buying and selling.  Anyway, we need to find somewhere very quickly, and had our first viewing today - an empty property about 40 miles from us.  It was the right SIZE and described as "renovated" and indeed had a brand new kitchen, but had been allowed to get in a state - work had been done to sort out the inside, but the owner lived in London and had just been paying the builders and they had done as little as possible AND not touched the roof, which was leaking like a sieve . . .  We could largely see what needed doing, but it's always a bit worrying what they have floor-slabbed or plastered over!  Closed in fireplaces didn't have air bricks for example and the chimneys hadn't been capped either, new plaster walls had a damp problem already! and all the skirting boards and some doors etc had wet rot and were like brown foam, so it  needed a lot spending on it (but was offered way under the asking price.)  You would need a damn good survey after you had gone there with a builder to get a quote on putting it right.  It was either a money pit or a good investment!




Now, to even consider this house shows that we are in One-Eyed Horse Territory.  This expression came from when I was looking for a horse again back in 1999/2000 and nothing was suitable and I even considered a horse with one eye because he was a good sort (and priced accordingly).  I am glad I walked away as the next week I found my darling Fahal.

You will probably all think, go into rented accommodation but that would soon start eating into our capital, what with having to have the cats inocculated and put in a cattery (they would hate that), a minimum of 6 months' rental on somewhere for us to live, and the HUGE cost of storage of our belongings, which would be probably £200+ a week.  So, we have another bunch of houses up on the Welsh marches to go and see as soon as the agent gets back to us with viewing times.

I wonder where we will end up, as the West Country is also in the equation and I'd love to get back to my roots. . .

16 comments:

  1. Glad to hear they want the house. One problem potentially sorted other hurdles now to jump through. Write the wish list put down your hopes (including West Country) burn it and see what happens. West Country's siren call is with you and that is where your heart is. I think K would be happy if the property is right. Will not do any harm one way or another nothing to lose. Meanwhile I am wishing for you that you find the home you need xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A rollercoaster! Hope it all clicks into place eventually x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo Hoo Congratulations on finding a buyer. I am so happy for you. When we found the house we are in now. I sat down and wrote in my diary what I really wanted. It came true, but it took us a while to find it. I had to be looking on line every day at the new listings and then go right away to see. Wishing you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping my fingers crossed that you find just the perfect new home.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you find something suitable - it will be difficult after all your years where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you and hoping you find something suitable and quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are moving at the moment - the survey on our new property is booked for the end of October! So anyone just starting the process will be very lucky to be in by Christmas. We are resigned to it being more like January. Good Luck for your house hunt. We looked at 19 properties travelling into Wales and Gloucestershire from our home in North Wilts. And number 20 was "the one" here in our home town! It is a soul destroying process, isn't it? But it will turn out fine in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck Julia - I hope it all goes smoothly for you. Our Solicitor has said 8 weeks for conveyancing this end . . .

      Delete
  8. Happy the house is selling, but can imagine your stress trying to find a new home so quickly--especially when everything these days seems to move at the speed of molasses in January. Fingers and toes crossed for finding the best property you could wish for--soonest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exciting and nerve wracking time for you. I do hope that you will find the house that has your name on it, maybe it will next week........

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really hope you find the home you really want in the right area. You are going to be busy for a while - hope you find the ideal place soon. Good news though that they want your house )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you sure it would cost £200 a week to store your stuff?
    I’ve had quotes and the contents of the equivalent of a 3-bedroom house can be stored for a year for under £1500.
    I honestly think rushing into a house purchase could be a false economy. If you buy the wrong one and end up having to sell and buy again, it will be a very costly mistake.
    Some landlords allow pets. I’m a landlord myself and I don’t mind tenants who have pets.
    Long winter lets in the South West can be very good value.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are you sure it would cost £200 a week to store your stuff?
    I’ve had quotes and the contents of the equivalent of a 3-bedroom house can be stored for a year for under £1500.
    I honestly think rushing into a house purchase could be a false economy. If you buy the wrong one and end up having to sell and buy again, it will be a very costly mistake.
    Some landlords allow pets. I’m a landlord myself and I don’t mind tenants who have pets.
    Long winter lets in the South West can be very good value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doh - a MONTH not a week, but that's bad enough. The cats, however, are £10 a head a day (4 of them come with us), so that IS over £200 a week! Then the cost of rental for us humans. Soon adds up and eats into the capital.

      Delete
  13. We have very good storage facilities near us and they are I understand very good value. I guess if you shop around you could find good facilitiesand I agree with what Helen says - don't rush into anuthing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you everyone. Can't do individual comments as trying to be organised and get everything sorted which needs sorting (believe me, there is a LOT of it). I am currently going through cupboards and shall be gone some time!

    ReplyDelete