Tuesday 30 March 2021

Some tasty meals

 


I was busy in the kitchen yesterday afternoon, and as I had cooked up a pan of curried mince and veg, made half of it up into little pasties for the freezer, so we could quickly defrost/heat one up in the popty ping for a quick meal.  These smelt SO good when they came out of the oven we wished we had planned to eat them for tea last night!


At Tamzin's request, for some main meal inspiration (for us two - Keith only does plain food) we took advantage of the Gousto offer we'd been sent - 1/3 off.  We have now ended it as it's gone back to full price.   Only one choice was something I wouldn't make/eat again and that was something I had chosen - a  "healthy" Joe Wicks option - Speedy Ginger and Chilli Prawns with Rice.  If I had been thinking properly it would have occurred to me that I shouldn't be combining prawns with spinach - both high in histamine.  It was also VERY spicy with the chilli jam in.  I think I must be getting old as I can't deal with very spicy food the way I used to (back in the days when I always had a Prawn Vindaloo if we had an Indian meal).  This gave me indigestion and didn't help my asthma either!



This was nice - All-in-One Fragrant Coconutty Haddock Curry, which was more a risotto really.


This was lovely, Mexican Pulled Chicken Burger and Paprika Fries.

I think the nicest thing was the Hearty Meatball and Farfalle Soup, which we really enjoyed and the soup made enough for a quantity to be frozen.


There were a couple of Chicken Curry recipes too, which were enjoyed.  However, these are the sort of meals I would like now and again and what happens is you need to cook up your selection night after night (we  got double portions, on Tam's advice) and so we had each meal two nights running.  I wouldn't do that again.  There are times when you just want something simple like sausage and chips!

I also baked a Chocolate Apple cake at the weekend, but that went to a friend of ours who had been storing some Stock for us (which we collected from him yesterday).  

Now, just waiting for the sun to break through properly for this heatwave we have been promised (it arrived in Hampshire yesterday, as I spoke to one of my cousins and she said it was t-shirt weather down there.)  It arrived with us under cover of darkness but then we woke up to low cloud, as - being higher up - we seem to more often than back in Carms.  A gardening day I think, and then tomorrow, a longer walk which we will drive to, so that will be planned today.


10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. So do I, although it did come up a big larger than I expected!

      Delete
  2. Ohhh, your meals look lovely. I especially like the looks of the soup.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soup was excellent and very filling due to the meatballs in it.

      Delete
  3. What sumptuous looking dishes! They all look so tasty, especially the curry/risotto and the soup! I hope your warm weather arrives soon and that you enjoyed your walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has made a lovely change to have such different dishes.

      The warm weather arrived and it was SO hot in our yard yesterday - a proper sun trap. We have only been here two months so everything is a journey of discovery for us! The walk went on hold as we had a surprise visit from our son! Hatched behind our backs :) We sat outside and had a picnic lunch and it was wonderful.

      Delete
  4. Sadly no heatwave here but at least it is dry. Those pasties look so tasty, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back to cold today MM, but we DID make the most of the two warm days.

      Delete
  5. I do love spicy food myself. I looked at your meat ball soup. Someone gave us a bag of turkey meatballs. He doesn't 'do' healthy. I never thought of using them in a soup. I googled a new recipe. And I've always meant to, but never remembered to do it. I finally looked up 'codlins' It didn't make sense until I googled the whole thing. Now I'm off to find a picture. Happy Easter to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can make up that spicy meatball soup. It was a lovely meal. Codlins are a specific sort of apple and I should plant one of that sort in my orchard really!

      Delete