Tuesday 11 October 2022

We take our health for granted

 


When I visit churches, I am constantly reminded of the frailty of human life.  Mind you, in the days when this poor little chap died, medicine was somewhat basic - even if a diagnosis could be accurately arrived at, the treatment was often not up to effecting a cure. Having money purchased better health care but was no certainty to sustaining life.


Of course, there is no cure for war, nor for the grievous wounds and subsequent blood-loss, infections etc which would follow them, especially in hot climes and basic canvas hospitals.  Once again, having money didn't help you.

These Baskerville memorials are ones I found in Holy Trinity Church at Bosbury on Sunday, on our way back from Malvern.  I will do a separate post on it in due course.

Some were fortunate to make it to their three score years and ten, and gravestones and memorials to folk in their late 80s and even 90s are common enough.  I guess it was luck of the draw. We all know that sometimes the treatment was worse than the cure (think of poor Charles II, who had a stroke, yet was "treated" by the drawing of blood, some 16 ounces, given draughts containing ground up human skulls (!), not to mention enema after enema to purge him, and then he was tortured with the application of scalding hot cups and irons.  Such was the ignorance of medical science at the time, which hadn't really moved on since Hippocrates.   I imagine he was very relieved to die several days later.

Mind you, in my ma-in-law's time (she was born in 1909 I think) there were 4 of them an their mum had been widowed in the war and they were very poor) and they HAD to call the Dr in - you paid in those days of course - as the children had Scarlet Fever and she remembers her mum putting up a sheet over the bedroom doorway which was sprayed with disinfectant to stop the germs spreading any further.  Hardly surprising that they were "took bad" when nourishing food (e.g. meat) might only be in a meal once a week and when things were really bad, towards payday (g.granny worked in a laundry) the only meal to be had might be "kettle broth" - chunks of stale bread sprinkled with salt and (white) pepper, and covered in boiling water.  When money was even tighter, you could forget the bread . . .

        Even when I was growing up, the only things in the "medicine cupboard" - think a shelf in the larder - were Andrews' Liver Salts (which I used to make "pop"), Beechams Powders, and a box of Plasters.  Mum seemed to use a lot of those, always cutting herself!  Oh and TCP if you cut had a scratch or scraze, and these were generally not covered in plasters  but left open for the air to heal . . .  We had Calomine Lotion for bites and rashes, and Vick for colds which mum used to rub above my top lip and I HATED that.  Mum used Camphorated Oil rubbed on her chest for a cold too.  When you were getting well you had Lucozade to build you up, or for adults, Sanatogen.  When mum was "going through the change" she took Yeastvite tablets which I think were basically just Vitamin B.  One of my favourite things when I had a sore throat were Blackcurrant Pastilles, which came in a little tin, and I would eat like sweeties!

        All this has come about because Keith had his Covid booster jab yesterday and we both had our Flu jabs last week.  I was extremely ill with Flu back in 1972 or so, in bed for 3 weeks and my lungs permanently affected so to have a degree of protection against getting it badly again is a relief for me.  It can be a killer.  As can Covid still, of course, when you have underlying health problems, which we both do.    I think we take our health for granted until problems arise but thank heavens we have moved on from how medicine was practiced - even when I was a child in the 50s. 


Landed gentry weren't exempt either - on reading these details, Keith said he almost certainly died from Malaria, as so many did along the Malabar coast.  Whether he was in the employ of the British Army, or worked for the East India Company, I haven't been able to discover.  34 is young though . . .  This memorial is in St Mary's Church in Fownhope, another one to write up about.



Then even if you survived War (the Zulu wars in this case), PTSD might overwhelm you and scarcely surprising in this case as Private Robert Jones was awarded his V.C. for his bravery at Rorke's Drift, but subsequently took his own life. 

        Hoping you are all healthy today.  Grab each morning by the throat and do something special, notice something beautiful, tell your family how special they are. Take pleasure in the minutiae of life.  Tomorrow a meteorite might fall on your head!


24 comments:

  1. Indeed BB, living for the day is the only way. And church bothering and churchyard crawling certainly gives you a reminder of the swiftness and frailty of life. My mum, a nurse in the first 1948 NHS intake, never had any truck with patent medicines. Colds were treated with hot lemon and honey served in a special glass with a silver plated holder (i still have the holder) and cuts with soap and water and sticky micropore over a square of lint dressing and never put anything in your ear apart from your elbow! Another gorgeous day here after a chilly start. Good I brought all my succulents inside and put the tender evergreen agapanthus (the special one from Dyffryn Fernant in Pembrokeshire) in the greenhouse. I am leaving the orange tree outside in the sunshine for as long as possible as it is covered with walnut-sized fruit which are on the turn to orange and then I will pick them all off and make marmalade. Have a lovely day. Today it is Ribollita soup for lunch (made yesterday in my biggest stainless steel stock pot) freshly picked mushroom risotto for supper and apple and quince cake (Monty Don’s excellent recipe) for afternoon tea - all my favourites! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think syrup was the nearest thing to honey we ever had in our house growing up. A hot Oxo was the remedy when you were full of cold! For YEARS I have told Keith never put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear, as he sticks a cotton bud in to get rid of wax! Men!!

      I brought my black Colocasia in last week and it now lives in the living room, but I have to be careful my nice curtains don't touch the leaves as they stain the fabric. I've never been to Dyffryn Fernant and now it is too far for a Day Out. Looks fab though.

      Oh, your soup sounds amazing. Will print off the recipe and make it up next time Tam or Dan are visiting (Gabby takes after her father and doesn't Do Anything Green!!) I am either doing Kedgeree or a Chicken Risotto for my evening meal. Keith will just have chicken thighs, plain and simple.

      Delete
    2. P.S. I make Minestrone soup regularly, but this is more substantial and interesting using big chunks of stale bread. A ribsticker!

      Delete
  2. Yes. Sieze the day and appreciate it !!
    Saw something a couple of days ago...if you are angry, you are living in the past....if you are fearful, you are living in the future. Live mindfully in the present.

    We are healthy enough, but working on improving that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will confess I often go down memory lane, but that's for enjoyment - I had a happy adventurous childhood.

      I need to get some gardening done, that should improve health a bit!

      Delete
  3. My parents were brought up on farm in Ireland but never told me how hard it was for them. Like you I grew up in the 50's but can't remember going hungry. I have come across the Baskervills before. Had mu Covid an Flu jab the other weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ps I went to see Zulu as a kid and have always been in awe of the men who fought there. I've come across a few VC winners but ass yet never seen one of the winners from Rorke's Drift. at least I know where to see one now.

      Delete
    2. My dad never told me about his bad times either (like his mother dieing young). Baskervilles at Clyro near Hay too. Glad you're doubly jabbed. If you want more info about Rorke's Drift etc, take yourself off to the Military Museum in Brecon - mine of information in there andvery enthusiastic and knowledgeable chaps there. You'll love it.

      Delete
  4. Some fascinating memories there - I used to love Andrew's Liver Salts and mum would always treat me to Lucozade when I had what she called a bilious attack. Minadex was given as a tonic and when we were teenagers we sometimes took Iron Jelloids, tiny black pills used to treat anaemia, I think mum was convinced all teenage girls would be anaemic!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of Minadex before, but remember Iron Jelloids. Perhaps your mum was right?! I'm sure she thought she was, bless her :)

      Delete
  5. Don't forget child birth fever. My husband was once given as a practice set at university the statistics on cause of death during the plague, in one of the years, more women died of child birth fever than the black death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, a good percentage of women died from that (Henry VIII's Jane Seymour is one documented case) but if you look at Victorian documents it was common enough. Of course, a gravestone merely gives the age for you to make your own decision on likelihood from age, unless they gave the baby's details at the same time.

      Delete
  6. When Alison mentioned Minadex it reminded me also of cod liver oil and something I can't remember what, that I was made to take as a child. As a treat, I was given a Haliborange tablet to take away the foul taste. I also remember Delrosa. Rose hip syrup. I love that. I don't think I've ever taken my health for granted. But these days, more than ever now, I don't. As one of my friends, says. None of us knows what's round the corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you've mentioned Delrosa, that is familiar, but I don't think I ever remember having it, just hearing of it or seeing it in the shops. Would it be Malt and Cod Liver Oil? Can remember that too.

      Health is a precarious thing, as we both well know.

      Delete
    2. Yes, cod liver oil and malt a vile concoction, to put it mildly. If I remember rightly, tasting downright evil, it was like thick, dark tarry substance which coated your mouth and you could barely swallow. Hence the Haliborange reward.

      Delete
    3. Glad I didn't get given that then!

      Delete
  7. My Mom would rub Vicks on our chests when we had a cold, hydrogen peroxide was used on our cuts, and if one of us got a sliver she couldn't dig out with a needle a poultice made of a small piece of bread soaked in some milk was put on and covered with gauze to keep it in place.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mum just had in the house only what they sold in Beauchops, down the road. Hydrogen peroxide, Witch-hazel etc passed us by. I used to poultice my horses over the years, especially when I worked with hunters as they could get deep Blackthorns in their legs.

      Delete
  8. Wise words indeed, we really do take our health for granted don't we and punish our bodies in so many ways when really, we should be much more careful and take better care of them for as long as we can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I think we do take our miraculous bodies for granted, but I can honestly say, you get to 70 and bits start dropping off! Certainly capacity to lift heavy weights and carry them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A sobering post, a reminder that as discouraged as these days might make us feel, it is good to remember that none of this is new. The struggles have always been, haven't they?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember having my thumb dowsed in iodine to stop me sucking it ;). Must admit I was ill a lot in childhood but perhaps it immunises us against many of the infections.

    ReplyDelete