Tuesday, 28 July 2026

A busy week


 I have the little Fair on Saturday.  This lovely Dicker Ware bowl will be going.  It's a Sussex pottery which shut in 1955, and this is around mid-Century and a gorgeous colour glaze.   Tomorrow is extra busy with an eye check up for me first thing, and then I'll be off to deliver my quilt for long arm quilting and see friends briefly.  Tam & Rosie here tomorrow afternoon and overnight, as Tam has dental check up on Thursday.  I have been sorting out what I can take on Saturday, and learning how to use my new expanding Gorilla glue.  It looks to be doing the trick with the splits on the base of one of the children's Windsors I got at auction and which had been in the dipping tank.  I found the Pitch Pine stain for the back splat on it yesterday so that is done and ready to oil again.  I will put another coat on tomorrow and then I can polish it Thursday.  Definitely channeling Keith this week!


Lots of dried grass hereabouts, unsurprisingly.  My heart is breaking at the ghastly destruction being wrought by the wildfires in the country and in France and Spain (Canada too, come to that).   This is from my walk on the old railway line yesterday.


A very poor photo (my phone camera doesn't do good zooms at ALL) of a Small White Egret on the Wye. That white blob in the middle.


The River Wye is low, needless to say.


The big tidy up on the showground is in full swing now.  Marquees are being taken down and there are long lines of bins to be taken away (I assume they empty them before they transport them).  You can see this side of the road has been used for parking too, hence the numbers on little stakes.  Rubbish to clear up here as well.

Tea tonight is going to be prawn fried rice, which I haven't had in years.  I cooked it regularly when the kids were small, and you could buy tins of small prawns.  What happened to those?  I am guessing they went the same way as the tins of crab meat you could once buy, which we had sometimes in the summer for Sunday tea when I was growing up.  Did I write that recently, or was I telling someone about it?  I only have to see a Battenburg cake and I am taken back 65 years . . .

Nearly forgot, when we were downsizing I gave away to the charity shop many boxes of books, and included was one book I am kicking myself about offloading as Tam wants a copy now . . .  It was fetching really stupid money on Ebay etc (£80 - £150!!!), but just been to Abebooks and found one with a damaged spine but good inside, at a sensible price, so I bought it and can lay that on one side for Christmas.  

Now I need to make another loaf, so had better snap to it.


11 comments:

  1. I can't imagine living in those areas with the fires and leaving not know what will be left to go back to.

    Good thing you said it was an egret! and that little bowl should sell well - it looks a lovely colour

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me neither. If you had to up and leave like that, what could you take? A few family photos if your'e lucky, and your pets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talking of Wildfires we had Huge one around ten miles away lots of fire engines involved, a sawmill caught fire and I think there was an explosion causing a lot of the surrounding woodland and fields to go up.Farmers managed to contain the stubble fire by ploughing and the fire breaded spotted out the nearby woodland. The smoke cold be seen from where we live through when I checked it was just a haze, I could smell smoke though. Must bf hell in France & Spain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have moorland about half a mile away, so don't want that going up. The fire near you sounds scary enough, especially with an explosion (gas canister or something?) Smoke from bad fires would do for me, with my asthma. I feel sorry for people who have booked holidays in Bordeaux and still flying out there (or lose their money/holiday).

      Delete
  4. Sorry that was me talking about the fire

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far my province here in Canada has been lucky. However neighbouring provinces are not. If the wind blows in the right direction we will be next. I feel for all those who are being affected.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How worrying. Praying that the winds drop and the fires stop spreading.

      Delete
  6. Everywhere is so dry isn't it, these fires are scary. I really feel for the wildlife that is being caught in the blazes all over the world. We were watching the Isle of Wight fires being put out on the news last night after talking to our neighbour who has family there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see Greece has now "joined the party" and there are wildfires there. All it takes is a bit of glass hidden in the undergrowth and that broiling sun does the rest. Didn't know about the IoW fires.

      Delete
  7. Last week we had the smoke from the wildfires in the northern part of Ontario drifting down to us in the south....it was vile, the sky was an apocalyptic shade of yellow for days and it smelled horrible. It was bad enough for us, hundreds of kilometers away, I can't imagine how it would have been for those closer. And of course, there are entire communities, most of them indigenous, who are now without homes. To say nothing of the animals caught in the path...it's so devastating. And then you have my idiot neighbour who took it upon himself to set a tree stump on fire last evening....we haven't had rain for weeks. The mind boggles. ~Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how horrid Melanie. As you say, it was bad for you 100s of k away, how awful must be for people living more locally. The animals and birds are of course, going to be devastated. What a horrible way to die. You can do without gormless neighbours like yours . . .

      Delete