As you can see, it's filling up in the fields above the showground. There is a massive Young People's village further up the road, and we could hear their music till gone 3 a.m. this morning. Sadly, there has been a tragedy as a young man of 25 collapsed and died. In the next sentence, Police mentioned arresting 3 young men in drugs-related incidents. His poor family.
It's only 20 deg at the moment. I can cope with that if I don't have to do too much outside. I went out for a walk at 11 ish, when it was a bit cooler. Just 40 mins or so, but good to stretch my legs after all the driving yesterday (though I walked 10K steps round the Fair too).
A trio of little pieces came home with me and the pretty green enamel pot.
A pretty little minature painted dresser.
A vintage Blue Mountain pitcher. (Canadian ceramics company, I believe).
I want to try and crack on and finish the last big 16 piece block of the quilt today, and sew the last seams (it's partly assembled). Photo later I hope . . .





Hearing about that poor 25-year-old collapsing is absolutely devastating, and it puts a massive damper on the festive mood of the showground. On a brighter note, you found some gorgeous treasures, that little painted dresser is incredibly charming and finding those vintage kid gloves inside the embroidery is such a lovely surprise. Best of luck power-sewing those final seams on your big quilt block.
ReplyDeleteHello and welcome.
ReplyDeleteIt will have been dreadful for the friends he went with too. So young - with his life ahead of him.
I think the little dresser will soon find a new home. The kid gloves aren't worth a great deal but helped my cause :) Quilt top is finished now . . . P.H.E.W.
Such a pointless tragedy, that poor young man...a whole life left unlived. I can't even imagine what his family must be going through.
ReplyDeleteI can confirm the Blue Mountain pottery as Canadian...Collingwood, Ontario, to be precise. I remember visiting their studio/shop when I was in my teens. It used to be fairly ubiquitous but I haven't seen any 'in the wild' in ages.
Oh, and I'm glad you hear you're enjoying The Rest is History podcast...I've learned so much since I started listening...it's great for sparking additional rabbit-holes of research! ~Melanie
Yes, his family must be devastated.
DeleteThis is a fairly unusual colourway for the Blue Mountain as much of it is considerably darker. Chap said he had 400 pieces at one time. It weasn't at all fashionable, but the last couple of fairs he's done, it has been selling well.
Today's Rest is History talked about Robin Hood, and Magna Carta. You're right, you learn so much from it.
Yes, I remember the BMP as being a darker, more greenish colour, rather than that blue...I think my mum still has a couple of pieces.
DeleteAll the other ones I've seen advertised, are darker.
DeleteWhat would thst little dresser be used for? Dolls. I remember when women wore gloves when they went out, even to get groceries. Little hats and nylons with black seams. I thought my mother was so glamorous!
ReplyDeleteDecorative I am guessing. Perhaps people put thimbles on display. Anyway, I like it and am sure someone else will fall in love with it too. There was a lovely couple who used to come to the Fairs, and their passion was the 1940s and they would dress up in style. She always had a lovely hat, and stockings and leather gloves. Gone are those gently glamorous days.
DeleteAwful for that poor young man and his family.
ReplyDeleteThe little dresser is sweet, I wondered if you had bought it with Rosie in mind 😀
Alison in Devon x
Yes, such a sad start to the show. A life snuffed out.
DeleteI will have to hide it from Rosie, along with the pair of 1950s French nodding dogs in a basket . . .
Lovely items, especially the enamel pot. I've been searching for one to boil my dishcloths in but all the ones I've found seem to have so much discolouration or rust inside. A lovely surprise to find the gloves no doubt :)
ReplyDeleteGail
A knock to the handle and a tiny bit of enamel missing on the side, but in lovely condition otherwise.
DeleteI don't know who will buy the gloves these days.
You've bought some lovely pieces. I've sold all of my enamel bread and flour bins now, I used to miss them a bit, but not anymore.
ReplyDeleteI'm not normally a fan of enamel although I do have a big Flour bin I keep my opened bread and baking flours in.
DeleteFirst I love the blue vase in one of your first photos, I’m very tempted to buy it. I feel so sorry for the boy’s family, but having worked in a Pharmacy we saw drug addicts all the time and they could be very aggressive to us. I worry for my granddaughter, sensibly bought up but! And Baby C’s Mum is doing time for supply and possession of a bladed article. Hugs. Xx
ReplyDeleteAha. . . I am putting temptation your way! The one on the right bought for the colour, the one on the left for the unusual collar glaze. I have the feeling this lad may have been led astray as the photo his parents shared of him, he looked quite homel and naive. Possibly a farmer's son? Certainly not one who appeared to be a druggy. Gosh, I can see why Baby C got taken away from his mother . . . How old is he now? 8 or 9 mths?
ReplyDeleteYes, that is Blue Mountain Pottery. It is no longer made and when it was, just a short 2 hours northeast of me was the pottery. My Mom collected some Blue Mountain. I never really got into it.
ReplyDeleteLove the items you brought home.
God bless.
I loved the colour as it is the one I like to use to brighten up my stall. Plus the design is lovely.
Delete