The dental check went fine yesterday, and nothing to pay. They said X-rays on back molars due, but we put them back a year as I was skint!
I was checking out the posts I follow on Instagram, and occasionally it chucks up an old contestent from Britain's Got Talent or America's Got Talent. The latter threw up the most amazing singer, with a gravelly voice, and it was a chap called Arthur Hayes. Imagine in his 70s, beard, playing a battered old guitar, and just THE most amazing voice, singing I suppose you might call it Gospel Music - anyway, it had a Christian motif. After I had "liked" that one, I kept getting lots more clips from Graveland.Grace. Audiences in tears listening to his heartfelt emotional singing. Imagine my shock when I discovered he was invented by AI. Blimey!! Has anyone else come across him? This has made me think, how easily we could be bamboozled by news/reports made by Politicians or those in power - we could, indeed, be controlled this way . . .
Then on to see my friend Pam, and finally my patchwork group. I sewed the 16 patch blocks to make up 32 patch blocks and will sew those all up into the quilt top today. Just have one last big block to finish and then I can drop in next week to say hello and give Alex the quilt to longarm quilt for me. I have just ordered the wadding for it from Doughty's (cheaper to have it posted to me than to drive there - and less temptation once I arrived, that's for sure!) 3m deal of super-soft cotton. I didn't realize that there was some shrinkage on it and you have to wash by hand and dry naturally before using. The sunshine will help that dry anyway.
Ed came round last night, as Sam still working away. We watched the football, but dismayed at the defensive tactics in the 2nd half, which definitely worked against them. Crazy! They were NOT in control of the ball and there was no chance of our getting a goal when everyone staked out at the Argentinian end of the pitch. I suspect England will be looking for a new manager now. Above photo is my "payment" for watering round Ed's polytunnel whilst he was away. Homegrown organic veg . . . yum :)


I’m a biting insects’ smorgasbord. This year, Ive been bunging colloidal silver on my throbbing lumps and it has sped up healing time enormously.
ReplyDeleteWax
My sympathies. This latest bite - though just a tiny (carapaced) insect has come up just like a horse fly bite and resistant to both anti-histamine and After Bite. Barsteward thing!
ReplyDeleteI'm like a B&B for biting insects. I take anti-histamine tablets and have bought some E45 Itch Relief Gel, which I've kept in the fridge, and it does help. I had the Dentist and Hairdresser today, nothing to do at Dentist, and not seeing Hygenist until October. Anyway not a lot of change from £75 for both. I found some tiny steaks in the freezer, so going to slice them up with some onions and mushrooms, probably frozen peas and a few chips. I'm not terribly hungry these hot days. Xx
ReplyDeleteWhat a great expression!! The only thing helping the latest bite is a bag of peas . . .from the freezer. That sounds a nice tea. I had something quick and easy - Kedgeree with half a fresh organic yellow courgette chopped up in it. Looked really pretty, with the green from the peas.
DeleteWell, that's not welcoming at all. Good for you in stepping back and reviewing all your options. 35 degrees forecast for all next week in our area. I'm dreading it.
ReplyDeleteThat's what I thought. When I asked for help from the knitting ladies, I was told I needed to knit on double pins, not a circular needle, which didn't solve my problem. I just bought a different size circular needle instead! Stay inside when it's that hot. I presume you have AC? I just have windows and doors to open/close . . .
ReplyDeleteRe your experience with the spinning/weaving group: I've found I don't work efficiently in a 'class' setting. I signed up for one several years ago--it was held at 9 a.m. which meant I had a struggle to be organized and in my right mind. We weren't given the pattern at sign-up and first thing the instructor did was tell us to cut our fabric differently than the pattern layout--supposedly to save a few inches of fabric!
ReplyDeleteI didn't finish the piece during the class, tried to rework it at home--never did get it right!
I prefer a chance to mull over pattern instructions for something unfamiliar before launching into it. I don't need the pressure of 'this is a 3 hour class and we need to finish.'
I think I like the epithet, 'barstewardly' as an adjective. Of course if I used it here no one would get it!'
A very subtle insult!
These are people who LIVE for their textiles/wool. I am more of a hobbyist . . . My patchwork class is amazing - lots of friendly ladies, and a teacher who encourages us, always, "It's easy. You can do it!" And indeed we CAN!
DeleteWhat a lash up at the class you went to. If you have a pattern you are going to use, surely you should stick to it! Having a time limit would make it 10 times worse.
Ah yes, a somewhat more ladylike epithet than the other which I have been known to use! Especially it something nasty has just bittne me! It's allong the lines of Danette's "blardy" :)
How very unwelcoming. There are lots of Youtube videos on spinning and weaving. The ones on weaving I watch. Wonderful veggies there.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
I have to say I didn't feel comfortable. It was very cliquey. I would prefer a smaller learning group - this one I knew wouldn't be helpful. There was a woman next to me who had been going for 6 mths and no-one had helped her learn to spin - she was just grabbing handfuls of wool and not drafting it at all!
ReplyDeleteI’m a hobbyist too, it’s amazing how much snobbery there can be around craft isn’t it?
ReplyDeleteCommiserations on the bite, they can be really debilitating, I attract the biters too!
Alison in Devon x
I got a whole NEW biter/stinger when I went to the compost heap last night (only going there in trousers, socks and arms covered in future!) I felt like I'd had a needle stuck in me. That sensation kept happening for hours, on and off, even when I was in bed, hours later. I finally went and slathered yet more NZ Soov on it, and then it stopped so hopefully I suffocated the blardy thing.
DeleteSo much is AI generated these days, it can be frightening. Shame about the spinning group, but not worth your anguish.. strange to me that new talent isn't encouraged. My husband and I wanted to join the U3a Welsh group as we have been learning Welsh for 3 years and we were told in no uncertain terms, beginners weren't welcome!
ReplyDeleteWell, when it was Medieval world and the pigs had a head at each end, you could see AI hadn't got it quite right. This was so convincing though. Very scary.
DeleteAI is infiltrating so many aspects of our lives, I'm fighting to keep it away for as long as I can. I delete all comments on my blog that are written by AI and I stop watching something as soon as I realise that it could be AI. It's pretty hard to spot though isn't it.
ReplyDelete